Panama tax evasion

Mr Rational

This may be Theresa May's Panama but I doubt it.  Cameron was all over the Panama leak because of the political damage it might cause him. When May came in it dropped out of public consciousness like a stone. I don't think she was in the least bit interested - she had a bigger fish to contend with in the shape of Brexit. I wouldn't be surprised if that were still the view - people have short memories for this stuff but Brexit is a historically significant event. I expect to see a bit of hand wringing followed by silence. Hope I'm wrong. 

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

So a year later, another big leak: the  Paradise Papers. Few names mentioned already, including  Trump's Commerce Secretary - linked to  sanctioned Russians;  Lord Ashcroft - who might have been claiming non dom status whilst in the Lords; and our Liz herself...

Any P&Bers got untold wealth stashed away in a Caribbean tax-haven?

Yeah.  I spend all my time jetting around the world, mixing with the rich and famous, champagne and caviar every night and when I find it a bit monotonous I come on to Pie and Bovril to complain about people just like me!

Actually if I have untold millions - it is because nobody has told me.  Does that count?

1 hour ago, HTG said:

This may be Theresa May's Panama but I doubt it.  Cameron was all over the Panama leak because of the political damage it might cause him. When May came in it dropped out of public consciousness like a stone. I don't think she was in the least bit interested - she had a bigger fish to contend with in the shape of Brexit. I wouldn't be surprised if that were still the view - people have short memories for this stuff but Brexit is a historically significant event. I expect to see a bit of hand wringing followed by silence. Hope I'm wrong. 

Shouldn't do I remember May's speech on moving into Downing St. when she said "The government I lead will be driven not by the interests of the privileged few, but by yours." and  to "take on vested interests and break up power". That all seems to have fallen by the wayside in the wake of her GE nightmare in June, just look at her recent appeal to business leaders to back her Brexit strategy. I suspect you're right though and that she'll not be taking on those "vested interests" now!

On 4/7/2016 at 12:17, thisal said:

This thread sums up tax evasion to me. Everyone more or less agrees it's wrong and loopholes should be closed. Then the politicians and the lawyers get involved start a big debate about semantics and everyone gets bored and forgets about it so nothing gets resolved. Then there is the next big scandal and repeat....

Seriously what kind of system that struggles to decide if a loan that is never to be repaid is earnings or not?

And Repeat.

Saw a BBC new report with that toady lick-spittle Nicholas Witchell saying Lizzie couldn't possible be held responsible for her personal tax affairs and all that sort of stuff was looked after for her.  I couldn't help wondering how HMRC would view that excuse were it given by anyone other than HM.

1 hour ago, Baxter Parp said:

Never mind tax dodging, the real scandal here is This shite is still on TV and folk can make £2million from it.

See if offshore was banned for all domiciled citizens, what negative repercussions would there actually be?

Genuine question.  Can't see one reason why any wealthy person 'needs' to invest in the caymans?  It's not worth the hassle.

Just ban it.

4 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

Watching Reporting Scotland. Dermot Desmond getting it tight for some airline company in the Isle of Man, and he then wrote to the journalist the next day asking "Are you a Rangers supporter?" :lol:

All that succulent lamb and Mr Daly isn't doing what he is supposed to 

2 hours ago, Big Fifer said:

Watching Reporting Scotland. Dermot Desmond getting it tight for some airline company in the Isle of Man, and he then wrote to the journalist the next day asking "Are you a Rangers supporter?" :lol:

This? Same journo who blew the Rangers EBT thing wide open.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-41894186/dermot-desmond-questioned-outside-celtic-park

Archived