Panama tax evasion

Mr Rational

• Replies 577
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting that you respond to my individual points. It's even more interesting that the responses have absolutely nothing to do with the points I make. Maybe you should reread my post then actually respond to the points I make.

Or not.

Looks like Granny wants to be the only OAP in the village.

Dodgey implies deception and criminality.

Terrorist sympathiser implies neither.

Totally reasonable.

What an absolute clown you are, Libbers.  A haughty, supercilious, depost-losing clown.

Looks like Granny wants to be the only OAP in the village.

What an absolute clown you are, Libbers. A haughty, supercilious, depost-losing clown.

Lots on here talk a good game,but none of you have the guts to step from behind your computers and put your self up for election and the scrutiny that goes with it.

At least ad lib had the balls to put his money where his mouth was and run for election.

Lots on here talk a good game,but none of you have the guts to step from behind your computers and put your self up for election and the scrutiny that goes with it.

At least ad lib had the balls to put his money where his mouth was and run for election.

TBF the local party funded the campaign and puts up the deposit.

Still not really sure how "lost deposit" is supposed to be an insult when I could have been the inventor of a perpetual motion machine that provided unlimited electricity for free to all residents and more than 95% of East Renfrewshire still wouldn't have voted Lib Dem in that election.

TBF the local party funded the campaign and puts up the deposit.

Still not really sure how "lost deposit" is supposed to be an insult when I could have been the inventor of a perpetual motion machine that provided unlimited electricity for free to all residents and more than 95% of East Renfrewshire still wouldn't have voted Lib Dem in that election.

Probably because they knew that the day after the election you would have turned round and stated that the invention was a lie but not to worry as all politicians do it.  You will then further state that It is of course a matter which requires your resignation and you have therefore tendered your resignation from the post of Lib Dem Scottish Electricity Generation and Fuel Poverty West of Scotland Area Junior Aide .  It is not however a matter that requires your resignation as an MP.  :rolleyes: 

I'm with Adlib on this, paying tax is not about morals. It's about paying your dues. The amount you pay has nothing to do with an individuals conscience Personally I don't care if politicians publish their tax returns. 

I don't care that Cameron Sr played the system. 

What I want is for politicians to close the loopholes.  

True and as long as the vested interests are backing the main political parties and the media is owned by billionaires with offshore accounts I don't expect it to get past discussing semantics.

And would you believe the debate is now focusing on a minor side issue (politicians tax returns) and the main issue, how the wealthiest are able to hide their wealth and avoid paying tax, is being sidetracked.

I'm with Adlib on this, paying tax is not about morals. It's about paying your dues. The amount you pay has nothing to do with an individuals conscience Personally I don't care if politicians publish their tax returns.

I don't care that Cameron Sr played the system.

What I want is for politicians to close the loopholes.

And would you believe the debate is now focusing on a minor side issue (politicians tax returns) and the main issue, how the wealthiest are able to hide their wealth and avoid paying tax, is being sidetracked.

Or how they obtained their wealth in the first place.

Probably because they knew that the day after the election you would have turned round and stated that the invention was a lie but not to worry as all politicians do it.  You will then further state that It is of course a matter which requires your resignation and you have therefore tendered your resignation from the post of Lib Dem Scottish Electricity Generation and Fuel Poverty West of Scotland Area Junior Aide .  It is not however a matter that requires your resignation as an MP.  :rolleyes:

That is beautiful.  Have a Charles.

More likely that the day after the election it will become a little less free than promised, like tuition fees for example.

It is *quite* funny that Jeremy Corbyn jumped on the bandwagon to demand David Cameron publish his tax return, only for it to turn out:

1. Cameron hadn't broken any laws or done anything improper with his tax affairs, despite Corbyn's efforts to imply that Cameron if not acting criminally then had at least aggressively avoided tax

2. Corbyn himself had incurred a fine for late submission of his self-assessment

3. Corbyn had also breached the requirement to keep records of his tax returns for the statutory period

4. Corbyn had, best of all, failed to declare on his tax return over £400 of income that he had declared with the Commons register of financial interests. Technically both a false declaration which is a crime and tax evasion!

It is *quite* funny that Jeremy Corbyn jumped on the bandwagon to demand David Cameron publish his tax return, only for it to turn out:

1. Cameron hadn't broken any laws or done anything improper with his tax affairs, despite Corbyn's efforts to imply that Cameron if not acting criminally then had at least aggressively avoided tax

2. Corbyn himself had incurred a fine for late submission of his self-assessment

3. Corbyn had also breached the requirement to keep records of his tax returns for the statutory period

4. Corbyn had, best of all, failed to declare on his tax return over £400 of income that he had declared with the Commons register of financial interests. Technically both a false declaration which is a crime and tax evasion!

Indeed.

It seems that Corbyn will do his level best to screw up any potential line of attack on this government. He's hopeless and completely out of his depth.

There is no legal requirement fo keep records of your tax returns.  The only requirement is to keep paperwork for evidence, I submit a tax return every year and never keep a record of it.  I do however keep my pension statement, dividend vouchers, P60s, payslips and interest statements.

It's hard to disagree about what he is saying.

Look at the uproar over Cameron when he hasn't been found to have evaded tax.

This is pure and simple jealousy and should be recognised as such.

Get him on tax evasion and then we can maybe talk.

The bit about stuffing parliament with low achievers is a very real danger.

It's already happening.

Maybe someone can point out the advantage of having a postman as a Secretary of State for Trade and Industry or Secretary of State for Health for example but I can't see any good coming of it.

Seriously. Someone persuade me that a postman knows the first fecking thing about trade or health?

What a minter

It's already happening.

Maybe someone can point out the advantage of having a postman as a Secretary of State for Trade and Industry or Secretary of State for Health for example but I can't see any good coming of it.

Seriously. Someone persuade me that a postman knows the first fecking thing about trade or health?

What's wrong with having people from numerous professions involved in politics? Plenty of politicians have degrees in subjects like history and politics which, while undoubtedly incredibly useful, don't automatically guarantee a knowledge of, say, modern economics and how they should be applied.

If there's a postman out there who gets into politics and has a genuinely knowledge of economics or healthcare then I'd be more than happy for him to occupy one of those positions. Why wouldn't you?

It's already happening.

Do you believe that those in office actually know what they are on about?

The civil service runs the country. The government of the time tries to direct them but in reality the government ministers know only as much as the folk working in their departments let them know. That wouldn't change if you had a post man or a bin man doing the job instead of the Eton old boys brigade.

There is no legal requirement fo keep records of your tax returns. The only requirement is to keep paperwork for evidence, I submit a tax return every year and never keep a record of it. I do however keep my pension statement, dividend vouchers, P60s, payslips and interest statements.

"Paperwork" would be "records"

"Paperwork" would be "records"

So if we substitute as you suggest then your sentence would be

3. Corbyn had also breached the requirement to keep paperwork of his tax returns for the statutory period.

Which makes no sense whatsoever.  Probably have been easier for you to just admit that your original point was factually incorrect.

It's already happening.

I've no problem with successful people earning lots of money. If they're paying their fair share of tax and live here, fine. But I can't believe people are starting to feel sorry for this lot. They may have 'done nothing wrong' legally, but for 6 years they've preached 'WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!' We clearly aren't!

When you're the one making decisions on how much tax everyone pays like Osborne, and then personally benefit by £2500 from your own tax decision, at the same time as inflicting cuts on disabled people and kids in some parts of the country have to rely on food banks, don't have the cheek to constantly tell us 'We're All In This Together'.

Archived