2016 Scottish Cup Final - Hibernian FC v Rangers

Bambino7

Lots of jokes about this goading but imagine the seethe if 'Rangers' had won and their fans had went up the pitch to taunt the Hibees.

Nobody can seriously condone the Hibs fans who decided to celebrate their cup win by getting in the faces of the 'Rangers' fans.

Just received a link for this on my facebook - don't worry they've been deleted:

https://crowdfunding.justgiving.com/vanguardbears

We fully believe every Rangers fan who defended their Club's players and supporters from attack by screaming, hate-filled hordes at Hampden Park on Saturday, deserve our backing and full support. With this in mind, we are asking for donations, big or small to help our fellow Bears in their time of need.

No football club or support wishes to see fans fighting on the field of play or terraces, but on this occasion, we feel the Rangers support had no choice but to stand up and be counted. We would also hope the RFFF committee see fit to release some funds to help our fellow Bears.

Let's be very clear here, the Rangers supporters who defended their players and fellow fans did the job of the police and stewards who stood idly by and watched our players being attacked, and our support taunted and subjected to attacks in person and by missiles.

Are they really saying it is okay to go on to the park for a fight?

Just watched the video of the attempted child snatchers thinking it wouldn't be as I've seen it described but it's genuinely extremely disturbing. 

The way they creep up is sickening.

Let's hope they're found.

Someone will have went to the match with them.

Bennett hates a blog begging for money. He'll be here in a minute to ridicule his fellow fans

It's as bad as drug dealing according to them, crowd funding takes the food out of children's mouths.

Why do I get a feeling Hibs will release a statement this week consisting of telts and Petrie GIFS?

As long as Mon Dieu puts it together with some visual accompaniment, we'll be fine.

Having read through the last ~20 pages of this thread I'd been thinking of various reactions to say about different things, but I can keep it more concise. The first Rangers statement about their fans showing "restraint" felt like it came from some sort of alternate reality. The second one sounds like someone taking the piss. No aspect of that statement - including as Ad Lib pointed out the blatant lie within the first sentence - reads like it could be sincere.

More on that lie. "Rangers finds it incomprehensible that no one, either from within the Scottish FA or Hibernian Football Club, has condemned Hibernian’s supporters following the violent scenes at the end of yesterday’s Scottish Cup final when Rangers players and members of our backroom staff were physically and verbally assaulted." Disregarding the hilarious "verbal assault" line, because that never happens at a football match, within minutes of the end of that match the head of the SFA had slithered out from wherever he hides telling us "[The] Scottish FA is appalled by the scenes of disorder on the field immediately after full time and at the contemptible behaviour that ensued. What should have been an historic, memorable Scottish Cup final will now, sadly, be remembered for all the wrong reasons." No it won't. Within seconds too of fans coming on the pitch Liam McLeod was telling us on the BBC that it was scenes reminiscent of 1980 - well, no it wasn't.

It's worth pointing out too that the soundtrack to seeing Hibs fans on the pitch at that point was a rousing chorus of the Billy Boys from the other end. No mention of that or other songs from anyone. No mention - a passing one in McLeod's commentary aside after the first goal - of the two smoke bombs in the Rangers end in the game. Given the Daily Record's hysterical reaction to everything in the aftermath of the match it's surprising this wasn't mentioned, given their own front page piece on the dangers of flares and smoke bombs in the week before the match.

I think on the whole that the reaction of the police and the stewards was very good. As has been mentioned, they were probably expecting the match to go to extra time. At the point the winner goes in there's not enough time for the amount of stewards to get into position around the front of the stands, so people get on. Loads of people get on. I'd imagine that in the future now there will be a much more through deployment from officials in games like this, so if it turns out that this helps preventative measures in future games, great. I also think given the reactions of the Hibs fans who were goading the Rangers end that the police, the horses, the stewards in at that end did a very effective and very quick job of getting it all under control. There weren't as many Hibs fans giving it the GIRFUY as the Record et al would try to have you believe, but given the sheer amount of people on the pitch and the potential for much worse to happen, they were very good at keeping it under control.

These points aside, I think I agree with what everyone else has said about the scenes at the end of the game. Nothing wrong with pitch invasions, although I would expect Hibs to be fined/billed for the damage caused to the pitch. I'd also expect that Hibs fans would be quite willing to pay for any such fine a hundred times over. I expect a third Rangers statement so lacking in self-awareness it tears a hole in the fabric of reality will appear when they get a token fine for their fans' actions at the end of the game too. There should be a fine for their singing, their smoke bombs, their fans going on to the pitch, their statements bringing the game into disrepute, but we all know that won't happen, if for the media's swift move to paint the whole match as the "riot" by Hibs fans and nothing else.

Someone in this thread said at the time of the pitch invasion they were watching a Spanish stream and they were lauding the pitch invasion given the circumstances of the club winning the cup after so long. Only in Scotland could we see scenes like this only to have the reaction from all of the media and everyone in any position of authority in the game being not only to focus on the trouble, but to actively play down the actual match and the actual cup win. I'd love to say I was surprised by this.

Lots of jokes about this goading but imagine the seethe if 'Rangers' had won and their fans had went up the pitch to taunt the Hibees.

Nobody can seriously condone the Hibs fans who decided to celebrate their cup win by getting in the faces of the 'Rangers' fans.

Yes we can think. But it didn't happen.

Hibs fan ran into the pitch not to fight. Rangers dicks ran into the pitch to fight. Period. Yes some and a very few hibs fans had a go at the players which is unacceptable, hope they get done. But the mass majority were celebrating... It was glorious. I'm a Loon, but I do believe we all sat as neutrals, thought yas go on yersels when it happened

Also, there's a guy in my work who said after the semi-final when Celtic fans had some sort of banner calling Rangers "scum," "that's disgraceful, there's kids watching that, they should all be prosecuted." He was quite serious. Can't wait to hear his thoughts on this.

Don't understand what's so difficult about this. Hibs fans who assaulted anyone should get punished. Rangers fans who assaulted anyone should get punished.

As for the game, it was a cracker, and one I'll never forget. As a neutral sat with Hibs friends I could see just what it means to them. History made. Players immortalised.

Yes we can think. But it didn't happen.

Hibs fan ran into the pitch not to fight. Rangers dicks ran into the pitch to fight. Period. Yes some and a very few hibs fans had a go at the players which is unacceptable, hope they get done. But the mass majority were celebrating... It was glorious. I'm a Loon, but I do believe we all sat as neutrals, thought yas go on yersels when it happened

Yep. I'll admit to that. At the time I thought "shouldnae have done that, but understandable given the last minute goal and the 114 years stuff" and then when Liam McLeod starting going on about it being like 1980 I was shouting at the telly telling him to behave. 

Now in the cold light of two days later I'm a wee bit less pumped up for the Hibees and a wee bit more inclined to agree that they should have stayed in their places.  However at 4.50 on Saturday, who could have predicted that some neds would hit players or that Rangers fans would come onto the park to fight with the neds?

As usual, the fannies on all sides spoil it for everyone else.