2016 Scottish Cup Final - Hibernian FC v Rangers

Bambino7

ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1464334766.773758.jpg

You couldn't make that club up :lol: :lol:

They are utterly shameless. Why can't he just unequivocally condemn the singing. Why all this "aye we did 'x' BUT WHATABOUT THEM! They were worse!"

It's a horrible sectarian song and whether or not it's worse than a pitch invasion is neither here nor there. As a club they do next to f**k all to stop their fans singing it because they have no appetite to stop it.

So far we've had "Aye we invaded the pitch but any other club's fans would have done the same"

And "Aye we sang the Billy Boys but WHATABOUT Hibs fans??!!"

Theyre like a bunch of 6 year olds.

The headline is misleading − from the text you can see that he's suggesting that singing 'The Billy Boys' is preferrable to getting involved in unrest on the pitch ... and he's right !

No. He isn't right. Two wrongs don't make a right.

A The Rangers director has actually come out and condoned sectarian singing. Only a mention of the billy boys though and thats ok as long as the other set of fans have invaded the pitch. What about your entire support referring to Alan Stubbs as a ******? Still no apology. I'm away to start a petition. What a fucking heads gone they are all collectively having. Brilliant.

Nearly a week on and still no sign of Warbs? What a shame. Respectfully hope he's crying into his shitey magic hat.

He also makes the strong inference that the only time the BB's was sung was after the final whistle and in the face of extreme goading etc. Which is shite.

If anything Hibs need to make it clear that sevco fans were the original goaders which puts all the blame firmly back on the bears. Unless of course the whole goading thing is also shite.

You'd think that the heads gone might've stopped by now but they continue to decapitate themselves left right and centre. Glorious.

The high heid yins at Ibrox are the awkward position of having to look like absolute weapons in order to placate their moronic, paranoid fantasy.

Quite funny really.

No. He isn't right. Two wrongs don't make a right.

I've not read the piece and don't know the full context but when faced with deciding whether an offensive song or unrest on the pitch is worse then the unrest 'wins' every time.

I think some folk are failing to see the full picture here, a pitch invasion is ok but running to the away fans and swinging punches at opposition players isn't, A Hibs fan swung punches at an oppsition player FFS !! even pushing the goalkeeper is overstepping the mark.

It's easy to focus on the 'Rangers' fans, they're an offensive bunch who sang offensive songs, let off smoke bombs and came onto the pitch at the end but let's not lose sight of the Hibs fans actions after the game − who the f'ck celebrates a Cup win by swinging punches at opposition players ?

Edited by Ned Nederlander

I've not read the piece and don't know the full context but when faced with deciding whether an offensive song or unrest on the pitch is worse then the unrest 'wins' every time.

I think some folk are failing to see the full picture here, a pitch invasion is ok but running to the away fans and swinging punches at opposition players isn't, A Hibs fan swung punches at an oppsition player FFS !! even pushing the goalkeeper is overstepping the mark.

It's easy to focus on the 'Rangers' fans, they're an offensive bunch who sang offensive songs, let off smoke bombs and came onto the pitch at the end but let's not lose sight of the Hibs fans actions after the game − who the f'ck celebrates a Cup win by swinging punches at opposition players ?

Your post is too sensible for pie and bovril , you have completely missed out a "but it's aw ra big bad sevco's fault"

Fannies. Total fuckwits who deserve all they get.

But the whole issue here is team cheat attempting to absolve themselves of any responsibility while pandering to the prejudices of the absolute worst elements of their support humanity. Because they've done it for ever and it sells.

Can anyone on here seriously claim that if they had been on the receiving end of goading from opposition supporters their first thought wouldn't be to react with sectarian chanting? Seems like a perfectly rationale response tbh.

"Your honour they were getting it right up us, of course we had to sing about being up to our knees in ****** blood"

The point is no one needs to make this comparison. It isn't a question of which act is worse, it's irrelvant. He's only making the comparison to deflect attention back onto Hibs fans.

"Aye you caught me shoplifting but that guy over the street stole a car last week so I'm not as bad as him."

:unsure:

A snapshot of the article was posted not a link - I wasn't the first person to comment on it but I was the first to acknowledge that there may be more to the piece than just the headline.

And for clarity I've no issue with criticising how the 'Rangers' fans reacted or the absurd statements that Dangers issued - a look back through the thread should confirm that.

I don't think anybody has posted this - it's the editorial column from the Edinburgh Evening News on Monday:

My heart was broken. My heart was broken. Sorrow, sorrow. Sorrow, sorrow.

Sunshine on Leith is the Hibs anthem for good reason – there is far more to it than just being a beautiful, poignant love song which pays homage to the port. Heartbreak is in the DNA of Hibs fans. Generations of Hibbies have grown up knowing their club often comes within touching distance of glory but can’t usually seal the deal.

That is not particularly unusual for a club of Hibs’ size, a big club with a proud history, but competing against others with far bigger resources.

Hibs, however, have seemed to make an art form out of it. Not any more.

Saturday changed all of that. It was only one game, but it does change everything. The Hibs Scottish Cup jinx – one of the world’s great sporting hoodoos – has been smashed into smithereens. All those Jambo taunts about 1902 and “the big cup†have been silenced. Just as independence would require most Scots to think about ourselves in a different way, this will require a psychological readjustment for most 
Hibbies.

It is a terrible shame that this wonderful time for everyone associated with the club has been adversely affected by the bad behaviour of a small minority. There must be a full investigation into what happened at Hampden Park to see what lessons can be learned, and those responsible for any violence should be identified and dealt with robustly.

The vast majority of Hibs fans who behaved impeccably should not suffer for the idiocy of the few. It is a shame that all did not stay in their seats and sing Sunshine on Leith instead.

It is easy to lose a bit of perspective during great sporting moments like this. It is, after all, only a game of football.

For many families, though, it has meant far more than that. Thousands of celebrating supporters will have spent a lot of time over the last 48 hours thinking of loved ones that are no longer with us. Their thoughts will have been with fathers, brothers, mothers, sisters, cousins and friends, who would have been thrilled to see Hibs win the cup, but never got to witness it.

Those true fans deserve to revel in their moment in the sun. As ever, it is The Proclaimers who can perhaps sum it up best. Their message to the players who saw the cup and claimed it . . .

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you.

Edited by GordonD

Well I have finally got myself together after last weekend. 

What a truly magnificent day it was, one which neither myself or tens of thousands of Hibbys will never forget.

What a game it was. Stokes with a cool-as-you-like finish on 3 minutes when (at least for me) nobody expected it watching him gallop down the left hand side. A brilliant header from Miller. Both sides rattling the woodwork. A sublime strike by Andy Halliday. A brilliant equalising header by Stokes that was millimetre perfect and timed brilliantly. And finally, a bullet of a header from our club captain on 90 + 02 minutes to send the green and white half of the stadium into absolute delirium. 

The pitch invasion for me added to the day (was pure mayhem and a total outpouring of joy and emotion).

A game and scenes I will never forget. Sunshine on Leith was simply beautiful. 

Stubbs and his squad are now forever engrained into our clubs history. They are legends. 

Edited by AberdeenHibee

Your post is too sensible for pie and bovril , you have completely missed out a "but it's aw ra big bad sevco's fault"

There is only one club that is trying to say the other was completely to blame and act the victims.  This isn't Hibernian. 

According to the official, yes official -  (and not pie and bovril football forum) rangers statements, it's all big bad Hibernian's fault.  I hope you're rightly mortified at that stance?