The Scottish Leicester?

Nonsense, if Aberdeen won the league this year it would have been a great achievement but it wouldnt have touched Leicester's.

The gap between Aberdeen and us playing budget wise is probably about 25 million. The gap between Leicester and the likes of Manchester City is well over 100 million I would imagine.

The odds difference at the start of the season between Aberdeen and Leicester winning their respective leagues would have had several decimal points apart.

It's more about the ratio of wage budgets than the absolute figures surely.

Are we saying that if Queen's Park won the Premiership it wouldn't be as much of an achievement as Leicester because Celtic's wage total was under £100 million and so not as big as the gap between Leicester and City?

Don't be daft.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard a bookie on the radio this morning say that it is only 50/1 for that to happen. He also said they won't be offering anywhere near 5000/1 on any team to win the EPL next season.

Leicester probably should be about 5000/1 to retain the title. There's no chance they'll do it again, particularly with the strain of the Champions League. Next season will still be a fantastic season for Leicester fans, but I can't see them getting near it again.

Leicester probably should be about 5000/1 to retain the title. There's no chance they'll do it again, particularly with the strain of the Champions League. Next season will still be a fantastic season for Leicester fans, but I can't see them getting near it again.

They're going to be 33/1 with Coral!

This.

West Ham are a dark horse for the Premier League next season and are 200-1!

If you listened to Sportsound last night, you'd certainly believe that.

The praise Hartley and Dundee received was astonishing for a club that have finished in the bottom six with a top six budget and who were humiliated in both cup competitions.

I even thought that tbh

Leicester City are still regarded as a yo-yo team between the top and second tier of English football, so the Scottish equivalent has to be a club with a similar historical track record like Dundee, Partick Th, Dunfermline Ath, St.Mirren or Falkirk

Imagine if one of these ran away with the Premiership next season??

It would certainly be a sensation if Dunfermline won the Premiership next season...

I heard a bookie on the radio this morning say that it is only 50/1 for that to happen. He also said they won't be offering anywhere near 5000/1 on any team to win the EPL next season.

A quick look on oddschecker sees the ighest odds at 1500/1, with Ladbrokes (who are the bookie most mentioned with regards 5000/1 this season) offer no higher than 1000/1 next season

The odds difference at the start of the season between Aberdeen and Leicester winning their respective leagues would have had several decimal points apart.

Aberdeen were 35-1 to win the Premiership

Leicester were 5000-1 to win the PL

I wonder if all the bets on the usual suspects would cover the payout on Leicester winning?

Are we saying that if Queen's Park won the Premiership it wouldn't be as much of an achievement as Leicester because Celtic's wage total was under £100 million and so not as big as the gap between Leicester and City?

Don't be daft.

Fair enough regarding wage ratios but see the odds below.......

Aberdeen were 35-1 to win the Premiership

Leicester were 5000-1 to win the PL

Kind of tells the story.

The gulf in budgets of clubs in Scotland is far greater than in England. For example in England last season top got 1.53 times the TV prize money bottom got. but in Scotland top gets 3 times what bottom gets. indeed 1st gets 1.6 times what 3rd place gets. In fact last year Leicester got a bigger percentage of the prize money for finishing 14th than Aberdeen got for finishing second.

Leicester winning the league will arguably be the biggest story in English league history, so perhaps it's about time the diddy clubs in Scotland started getting a bigger share of the  pot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36168004

Renowned Scotsman and football expert Matt Elliot reckons it's unlikely any team up here can achieve anything similar to what Leicester have managed due to the gulf in finances between Celtic, Sevco and the rest.

What does P&B reckon a Scottish equivalent of Leicester would be? Someone like Motherwell or St Johnstone winning the league, or even Aberdeen or Hearts?

You do realise that Rangers (sevcodeidcozombienewcothetribureact) will be hamstrung for years to come thanks to various onerous contracts. We'll be similar to the arts and the sheep IMO.

I will be sticking some money on Leicester going the same way as Herfolge. By the start of next season Mahrez and Kante will definitely be gone maybe a couple of others as well such as Schmeichel, they will have the distraction of being in the champions league on top of that and i think it will all be too much for them. I'll have £20 on a Leicester relegation next season.

50-1 I seen mentioned in the papers somewhere

Fair enough regarding wage ratios but see the odds below.......

Kind of tells the story.

That's more to do with the fact that if you lot didn't win it, they were by far the most likely to do so instead, that bet was more the odds of Celtic imploding this season than a miraculous Aberdeen run.  There were 15 teams more likely to win the premier league than Leicester hence the inflated odds.  However, looking at most recent wage figures the ratio is quite telling with Man City spending just over 4 times what Leicester spend who are near the bottom of the wages spent table, meanwhile Celtic spend about 6 and a half times as much as Aberdeen do who are comfortably in second.

Don't be daft.

Quite. I read somewhere (Forbes or Deloitte or somewhere else legit) that Aberdeen's budget is 17% of celtic's, whereas Leicester's is 25% of Man City.

The fact the bookies had longer odds on Leicester says more about the Celtic squad than anything else.

You don’t even need to win your games against the Old Firm as by beating every other side in the league would all but guarantee you the SPFL title. Simples.

Not sure if it would or not.

I will be sticking some money on Leicester going the same way as Herfolge. By the start of next season Mahrez and Kante will definitely be gone maybe a couple of others as well such as Schmeichel, they will have the distraction of being in the champions league on top of that and i think it will all be too much for them. I'll have £20 on a Leicester relegation next season.

Amazingly I had the same thought on Sunday.

Get on it . If it fucks up you owe me £20 ok?

Archived