The Scottish Leicester?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36168004

Renowned Scotsman and football expert Matt Elliot reckons it's unlikely any team up here can achieve anything similar to what Leicester have managed due to the gulf in finances between Celtic, Sevco and the rest.

What does P&B reckon a Scottish equivalent of Leicester would be? Someone like Motherwell or St Johnstone winning the league, or even Aberdeen or Hearts?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leicester City are still regarded as a yo-yo team between the top and second tier of English football, so the Scottish equivalent has to be a club with a similar historical track record like Dundee, Partick Th, Dunfermline Ath, St.Mirren or Falkirk

Imagine if one of these ran away with the Premiership next season??

The Danish Leicester were Herfolge who won the league in 1999/2000. Their average gate was 3,500. The next season they were relegated and nine years later merged with Koge. They now play in front of less than a thousand.

Would Thistle/Hamilton/Falkirk fans take that if offered?

The Danish Leicester were Herfolge who won the league in 1999/2000. Their average gate was 3,500. The next season they were relegated and nine years later merged with Koge. They now play in front of less than a thousand.

Would Thistle/Hamilton/Falkirk fans take that if offered?

I'd be dead within a week of the title celebrations so the rest of that stuff would be irrelevant.

The gap between Leicester and the bigger teams in England is much, much smaller than the gap between Celtic and any other Premiership teams. Leicester have top internationals playing for them and are able to spend millions on player transfers. In Scotland, only Celtic can pay a fee for a player, with perhaps a couple of one off exceptions from the other teams, but then we're only talking very small (in football terms) fees.

So yes, it's a big shock and achievement that Leicester will win the league in England, but they are equipped to to do so. It would be an significantly bigger shock if a team other than Celtic (and once they start spunking money around, Sevco) won the league in Scotland as none are equipped to do so.

I will be sticking some money on Leicester going the same way as Herfolge. By the start of next season Mahrez and Kante will definitely be gone maybe a couple of others as well such as Schmeichel, they will have the distraction of being in the champions league on top of that and i think it will all be too much for them. I'll have £20 on a Leicester relegation next season.

If Celtic make a hash of their new manager appointment and Rangers fail to adapt to the top division, it's not inconceivable that someone else could win the league if they manage to keep their shit together for the whole season.  Aberdeen and Hearts would be best placed to do that, obviously.  It would take some serious investment in any other team to sustain a title challenge, even against an ineffective Celtic.

So yes, it's a big shock and achievement that Leicester will win the league in England, but they are equipped to to do so. It would be an significantly bigger shock if a team other than Celtic (and once they start spunking money around, Sevco) won the league in Scotland as none are equipped to do so.

Nonsense, if Aberdeen won the league this year it would have been a great achievement but it wouldnt have touched Leicester's.

The gap between Aberdeen and us playing budget wise is probably about 25 million. The gap between Leicester and the likes of Manchester City is well over 100 million I would imagine.

The odds difference at the start of the season between Aberdeen and Leicester winning their respective leagues would have had several decimal points apart.

Leicester City are still regarded as a yo-yo team between the top and second tier of English football, so the Scottish equivalent has to be a club with a similar historical track record like Dundee, Partick Th, Dunfermline Ath, St.Mirren or Falkirk

Leicester haven't been a yo-yo team at all. They were out of the top flight for 10 years from 2004. They even went down to League 1 in 2008.

Hartley will make it happen.

Hartley will make it happen.

If you listened to Sportsound last night, you'd certainly believe that.

The praise Hartley and Dundee received was astonishing for a club that have finished in the bottom six with a top six budget and who were humiliated in both cup competitions.

Some people on here act as if Scotland is the only nation with a huge disparity in club size. Most European Leagues have either 1, 2 or 3 dominant teams: similar sized countries like Netherlands, Denmark, Portugal, even Spain and Germany. In these countries a smaller club has won the League in the past 10 years or so, so there's no reason why it can't happen in Scotland.

Personally, I think Hearts will have a really good chance of winning the title next season. Rangers will struggle to make Europe, Celtic are always weak for a year or so when they bring in a new manager and Aberdeen will lose players. I also think Dundee will be in the top six; cue the commemorative DVD and scarves.

I will be sticking some money on Leicester going the same way as Herfolge. By the start of next season Mahrez and Kante will definitely be gone maybe a couple of others as well such as Schmeichel, they will have the distraction of being in the champions league on top of that and i think it will all be too much for them. I'll have £20 on a Leicester relegation next season.

It's not inconceivable that Mahrez and Kante might stay, as Leicester have already achieved the Holy Grail of Champions League qualification.

Straight into the group stages, which means a shedload of money and opens up the availability of better players.

Correctly managed, financially and otherwise, Leicester could hang around the top for a few more years yet.

I wouldn't put bad money on them going down any time soon.

Archived