The Scottish Leicester?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looked for a while last season that it could have been us! Even if we didn't win the title, to have come 2nd or 3rd in the league would've been massive.

Sadly it all went tatties up when Neil left. :(

Fair enough regarding wage ratios but see the odds below.......

Kind of tells the story.

Eh, yes. Except I never suggested that Aberdeen winning the league would be more of a shock/achievement than Leicester.

Quite. I read somewhere (Forbes or Deloitte or somewhere else legit) that Aberdeen's budget is 17% of celtic's, whereas Leicester's is 25% of Man City.

The fact the bookies had longer odds on Leicester says more about the Celtic squad than anything else.

The magnitude of the odds also reflect that Aberdeen were probably 2nd favourites. So if Celtic majorly f**k up, Aberdeen would be the likeliest team to take advantage. Absolutely nobody thought that if the EPL favourites fucked up, Leicester would be the obvious choice to take advantage.

Some people on here act as if Scotland is the only nation with a huge disparity in club size. Most European Leagues have either 1, 2 or 3 dominant teams: similar sized countries like Netherlands, Denmark, Portugal, even Spain and Germany. In these countries a smaller club has won the League in the past 10 years or so, so there's no reason why it can't happen in Scotland.

Personally, I think Hearts will have a really good chance of winning the title next season. Rangers will struggle to make Europe, Celtic are always weak for a year or so when they bring in a new manager and Aberdeen will lose players. I also think Dundee will be in the top six; cue the commemorative DVD and scarves.

What players are we losing ????

Looked for a while last season that it could have been us! Even if we didn't win the title, to have come 2nd or 3rd in the league would've been massive.

Sadly it all went tatties up when Neil left. :(

Although we would have no doubt faltered at some point as the season went on, it would've been interesting to see where we would have finished if Neil and Andreu never left.

Although we would have no doubt faltered at some point as the season went on, it would've been interesting to see where we would have finished if Neil and Andreu never left.

Oh definitely, we already had but I think Neil would have been able to turn it around much quicker and just with the momentum we had gathered that season I don't think top 3 would've been unrealistic. Some year that was!

If you listened to Sportsound last night, you'd certainly believe that.

The praise Hartley and Dundee received was astonishing for a club that have finished in the bottom six with a top six budget and who were humiliated in both cup competitions.

Agree Hammer Jag, not sure what separates Hartley's achievements from what Archie has done for Thistle this season and on a fraction of Hartley's budget.

Then again Archie never played for either of the bigot brothers, so he is not part of the media luvvies

You don’t even need to win your games against the Old Firm as by beating every other side in the league would all but guarantee you the SPFL title. Simples.

What do you think 'SPFL' stands for?

The praise Hartley and Dundee received was astonishing for a club that have finished in the bottom six with a top six budget and who were humiliated in both cup competitions.

We had a top six budget.........Really...........

So, a bit like Ruthie and the Scottish Tories then?

We had a top six budget.........Really...........

I'm not sure why so many Dundee fans have questioned that statement - who out of Thistle, Accies, Caley, Killie, Well or Saints have a higher budget?

There is a threshold beyond which players become overpriced, but also one the other way where players are not up to it and have to accept the best offer they can get. As already noted, few Scottish clubs can afford to buy players and when Celtic do they can offer wages that dwarf what is being paid elsewhere in the top flight. They don't necessarily get great value by doing this, but they do it regardless. If Aberdeen could play the same 1st XI every week they could run Celtic close but the difference as I see it comes with players losing form, being injured or suspended, or recalled by parent club! Aberdeen don't have the budget to have a strong squad. No good goalkeepers and a lack of options - real options - in most positions bar central midfield.

With a good squad and manager in place, Leicester's fortune has been most of their rivals having split priorities with European football. They have played 40 games, City 55, Man U 52, Spurs 50, Arsenal 50 and Liverpool 57.

I'm not sure why so many Dundee fans have questioned that statement - who out of Thistle, Accies, Caley, Killie, Well or Saints have a higher budget?

IMO,Well,Cally,Saints and Dundee will have similar budgets, to state that Dundee have a top 6 budget is guesswork

IMO,Well,Cally,Saints and Dundee will have similar budgets, to state that Dundee have a top 6 budget is guesswork

Considering the significantly bigger crowds at Dens, and that you've just taken key ICT players on pre-contracts, I'd suggest you can offer a fair bit more than them. I'd put St Johnstone at about the same level as ICT as well.

Of course this sort of thing is going to be guesswork, and could indeed be wrong, but I think it's a fairly realistic expectation that Dundee have the 5th or 6th highest budget in the league.

Enough of yer shite then.

Thank you

Are you insinuating that Dundee operate with a lower playing budget than Thistle?

If you are am suggesting you are a bit deluded mate.

I would reckon if we took a poll on this topic, there would be an overwhelming result indicating Dundee had the bigger budget. If it makes you feel better to mask your teams under achievement based on low budgets etc. Go for it

Archived