League Cup 16/17 Draw

harry94

It's not hard to get Bennett worked up, any decent debate with good points from both sides and he can't handle it because he's not right and is not the centre of attention.

I reckon he's just not happy that Rangers aren't in Europe and have to play in the groups ;)

As soon as he starts with the pet names, you know he's lost it.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFS, it's perfectly simple. Dumbarton are in the north draw because Greenock is on the west coast.

Science, people.

Aha conspiracy, the Greenock Morton SPFL love in continues

Again, Scottish football only looking out for the interests of one team to the detriment of the rest. I see they got the easiest group as well. The league want them to have the easiest path to the final.

If they use the old Europa league format this is the fixture set, however they did not make clear who was A etc in each group on Friday.

1st matchday: D v. B and E v. A C not playing

2nd matchday: B v. E C v. D A not playing

3rd matchday: A v. B E v. C D not playing

4th matchday: C v. A D v. E B not playing

5th matchday: A v. D B v. C E not playing

However I doubt for TV they would want all the no 1 seeds to be team A as they would then all play no 2 on same night.

If they use the old Europa league format this is the fixture set, however they did not make clear who was A etc in each group on Friday.

However I doubt for TV they would want all the no 1 seeds to be team A as they would then all play no 2 on same night.

They could spread it Friday-Saturday-Sunday-Monday.

Plus they only have the rights to show six live matches in the group stages

My guess is that the fixture seeding will be the same for each group - top seeds are A, second seeds are B and C, D and E decided on the order that they are drawn.

However, I don't expect the fixtures to be played in the same order in every group.  So Group A might have top seeds v second seeds on matchday 2, while Group B might have it on matchday 4, and so on.

Trying to second guess a fixture list that Cockwomble has had any input into is a complete waste of time.

This is the man who put back the start of the entire SPL season because it would benefit just two teams rather than the majority.

In simple terms for our group that would mean this:

1st matchday (Sat 16 Jul): Cove Rangers v. Raith Rovers & Montrose v Ross County (Alloa not playing)

2nd matchday (Wed 20 Jul): Raith Rovers v. Montrose & Alloa v. Cove Rangers (Ross County not playing)

3rd matchday (Sat 23 Jul): Ross County v. Raith Rovers & Montrose v. Alloa (Cove Rangers not playing)

4th matchday (Wed 27 Jul): Alloa v. Ross County & Cove Rangers v. Montrose (Raith Rovers not playing)

5th matchday (Sat 30 Jul): Ross County v. Cove Rangers & Raith Rovers v. Alloa (Montrose not playing)

I would take that with the 2 away games for us on weekends.

Really exciting the league cup as had a shot in the arm

Much needed. Hopefully the attendances will improve for what has been most of the time a poorly attended competition up to the semi finals

Trying to second guess a fixture list that Cockwomble has had any input into is a complete waste of time.

This is the man who put back the start of the entire SPL season because it would benefit just two teams rather than the majority.

Splf board members rather than mr Doncaster.

Much needed. Hopefully the attendances will improve for what has been most of the time a poorly attended competition up to the semi finals

It was poorly attended because it wasn't on season tickets not because of the format.  The same has happened to the Scottish Cup in recent years.

It depends what you're comparing it with.

In many respects it would be surprising if sectional games - some of which will end-up being dead-rubbers, and 40% of which will be on midweek - will get bigger crowds than the old knockout format used to in R1 & R2.

On the other hand there is the novelty factor, and of course clubs are getting 4 games where they used to get 1 or 2.

Last 16 and QFs follow-on no quicker than they used to previously. Perhaps the sense of momentum will help SFs, assuming they're weekends.

It depends what you're comparing it with.

In many respects it would be surprising if sectional games - some of which will end-up being dead-rubbers, and 40% of which will be on midweek - will get bigger crowds than the old knockout format used to in R1 & R2.

On the other hand there is the novelty factor, and of course clubs are getting 4 games where they used to get 1 or 2.

Last 16 and QFs follow-on no quicker than they used to previously. Perhaps the sense of momentum will help SFs, assuming they're weekends.

Tbf Midweek in July > Midweek in late August or September

The SPFL site just says they'll be confirmed this week, along with the inevitable announcement that all the Rangers games will be televised.

Would be pointless putting the Ibrox games on TV against unseeded teams

Why do people keep thinking they won't show Rangers whenever possible? They'll get far more people watching than any other fixture. If they show another game then people will moan and say "Why are they broadcasting this shite?"

I'll be out of the country throughout the group stage so I'm going to miss our exciting games with Cowdenbeath and Arbroath.

Archived