The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

3 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Ross absolutely had to have a clear out and bring his own players in. He inherited a squad which simply wasn't good enough.  I'd have been shocked if he didn't move some on. As Scosha said Kenny shiels tried it and failed miserably but it was a gamble I thought he had to take at the time. 

Thing is though, he didn't have to. GLS was in the media last week saying his job was safe unless something 'unforeseen' happens. If Ross ends up losing every game between now and the end of the season, his new look side getting rogered in the process, then he'll be out on his arse. He could easily have claimed 'no budget' and tried to persevere with what was already stinking the joint up and brought in one or two, safe in the knowledge that simply being relegated would be enough for him to cling on into next season.

As it is, he's went all in and I respect that greatly!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Thing is though, he didn't have to. GLS was in the media last week saying his job was safe unless something 'unforeseen' happens. If Ross ends up losing every game between now and the end of the season, his new look side getting rogered in the process, then he'll be out on his arse. He could easily have claimed 'no budget' and tried to persevere with what was already stinking the joint up and brought in one or two, safe in the knowledge that simply being relegated would be enough for him to cling on into next season.

As it is, he's went all in and I respect that greatly!

Aye fair enough. My thinking was if he wanted to have a go at staying in the division then he had to make changes. As I said previously I'd have been very surprised if he didn't take this approach and persevered with what he inherited. 

Think it's rather telling that in Gallacher and Hutton,  we had two of the better rated players that Ross and Fowler had at their respective clubs last season and yet they are two of the first out the door here. 

No room for sentiment with these two!

Jack ross signed him for us tail end of last season, good big keeper imo way too good for us and that was the bottom of the championship, should do a job for you no hassle.

No chance. He'd be an unmitigated disaster at Hibs. Once he practices things like catching, punching, organising and general goalkeeping duties. Then he'd be able to a do job.

Until then he's pish.

11 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think it's rather telling that in Gallacher and Hutton,  we had two of the better rated players that Ross and Fowler had at their respective clubs last season and yet they are two of the first out the door here. 

No room for sentiment with these two!

Hutton the guy who Alex Rae said was in his prime :lol: he's possibly the worst player I've ever seen in stripes.

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Hutton the guy who Alex Rae said was in his prime :lol: he's possibly the worst player I've ever seen in stripes.

He's utter mince. Probably not the worst I've ever seen right enough. There's some right tough competition there.

1 out, 2 in today.

Assuming going from various rumours it'll be McAllister out, and McGinn and Cammy Smith in. Though Div did say earlier that the deal for the forward player is no hold at the moment while JR reassesses his budgetary situation, so it might not be Smith after all.

3 minutes ago, Gmfc 23 said:

Not a chance ross forbes hates st mirren.

S'ok, I was just kidding. Can't imagine any player swapping a play-off spot for probable relegation, anyway.

Now we've got a bit of cash in our pocket, though, it does make me wonder who we could possibly tempt - and who might actually make a difference to our survival bid.

21 minutes ago, geo87 said:

When did Gallagher get released? Seen he's signing for hibs - they must be desperate!!

Yesterday. Really bizarre move, that, but Hibs are suddenly well short of keepers. He'll only be short-term cover, you'd imagine.

20 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

S'ok, I was just kidding. Can't imagine any player swapping a play-off spot for probable relegation, anyway.

Now we've got a bit of cash in our pocket, though, it does make me wonder who we could possibly tempt - and who might actually make a difference to our survival bid.

Yeah you have got to wonder why Loy chose us over them? Suppose we still have a decent pulling power!

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

In all fairness to Gallagher he was a standout with Alloa at this level last season.

Didn't look too good against us but Alloa fans were raving about him. Shame for us it didn't work out but he's got himself a cracking move if he has signed for Hibs.

47 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Is it really worth pushing the boat out for anyone just now by all accounts you played dundee off the park last week.

Maybe its time the players already at st mirren stood up and started to give a f**k about the club.

Ps. I really hope you go down though obviously.

So we have Cammy Smith.

I don't really remember noticing him with Dundee United, but 5 goals from 23 from midfield seems pretty decent.

Thoughts?

Edited to add: ah, thought he was attacking midfield. 5 from 23 for a forward not so great.

Archived