The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

1 hour ago, Redwedge77 said:

He hasn't won anything yet and still has it all to prove. A bad move for him but jobs this size don't come up very often.
A car crash of a club with huge expectations. Wasted tom Hendrie ' s promising career. He would be best advised to swerve it but cannie see it.

In what way did we ruin TH's career? He got us promoted, gave us Premier League football and we rewarded him with a five year contract, he unluckily took us back down and we stuck by him for another full season and a half.

Tom Hendrie wasted his own career in the last six months of his reign when he claimed without irony that after losing 5-1 against Falkirk, we deserved to win as we had twice as many corners.

Tom Hendrie wasted his own career with mental decisions like letting a guy in the shape of Paul Ritchie go after a trial because despite the fact he was very, very good, he was deemed 'too old' at 33, so he moved on up to eventual champions Inverness and scored about 26 goals that season (including about 7 against us) before giving them another two cracking years and even getting Scotland B caps out of it IIRC. 

Tom Hendrie wasted his own career by allowing a German lad who happened to be in the area, walk through the door one midweek after telling him he was a professional footballer by the name of Klaus Dietrich and into the starting lineup on the Saturday at centre half where he was almost solely to blame for us shipping four goals in the first half against Inverness before he disappeared up the tunnel and was never seen or heard of again.

Don't try and blame St. Mirren for ruining Tom Hendrie, St. Mirren showed exceptional faith in the guy at massive cost (a five year contract for a man who was highly sought after at one point). I loved the guy when he was with us and genuinely believed he was going to go on to have a stellar career but he became a complete basketcase in his last season with us. So much so that by engaging in his mad antics, he essentially rendered himself unemployable ever again. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, King Dom's Moustache said:

Klaus Dietrich. There's a name. Sure he played one game for Hibs and was punted.

He did, it was against us but I don't even think this was the same guy. The story goes this guy in question was here studying or something.

57 minutes ago, Wasps1 said:

Jack Ross didn't apply for the post of manager St.Mirren made contact with the club Friday afternoon  and asked to speak to Jack  and Chairman MM met with Gordon Scott yesterday 

It's looking likely that Jack Ross will be taking the job. Who do you guys see as an early contender for the Alloa job if he does go.

St.Mirren under Danny Lennon had good stability 4 years of Premiership football and a cup 

Was it Player power and a weak Chairman the reason why he was binned 

It seems since he left the only was is down 

In what way did we ruin TH's career? He got us promoted, gave us Premier League football and we rewarded him with a five year contract, he unluckily took us back down and we stuck by him for another full season and a half.

Tom Hendrie wasted his own career in the last six months of his reign when he claimed without irony that after losing 5-1 against Falkirk, we deserved to win as we had twice as many corners.

Tom Hendrie wasted his own career with mental decisions like letting a guy in the shape of Paul Ritchie go after a trial because despite the fact he was very, very good, he was deemed 'too old' at 33, so he moved on up to eventual champions Inverness and scored about 26 goals that season (including about 7 against us) before giving them another two cracking years and even getting Scotland B caps out of it IIRC. 

Tom Hendrie wasted his own career by allowing a German lad who happened to be in the area, walk through the door one midweek after telling him he was a professional footballer by the name of Klaus Dietrich and into the starting lineup on the Saturday at centre half where he was almost solely to blame for us shipping four goals in the first half against Inverness before he disappeared up the tunnel and was never seen or heard of again.

Don't try and blame St. Mirren for ruining Tom Hendrie, St. Mirren showed exceptional faith in the guy at massive cost (a five year contract for a man who was highly sought after at one point). I loved the guy when he was with us and genuinely believed he was going to go on to have a stellar career but he became a complete basketcase in his last season with us. So much so that by engaging in his mad antics, he essentially rendered himself unemployable ever again. 

My favourite memory is him running to the By-Line when we beat Dundee United 2-1 to shout abuse at Derek Scrimgour, then ran back to the dug out and substituted him. [emoji23][emoji3]

12 hours ago, Wasps1 said:

St.Mirren under Danny Lennon had good stability 4 years of Premiership football and a cup 

Was it Player power and a weak Chairman the reason why he was binned 

It seems since he left the only was is down 

Previous Board have to take the blame for the utter shambles that followed Danny leaving.

A succession of terrible appointments including Rae have left us in this position.

Previous Board have to take the blame for the utter shambles that followed Danny leaving.

A succession of terrible appointments including Rae have left us in this position.

I see this mentioned quite a lot but Murray SHOULD have been a good appointment. He was a young up and coming manager who had done a wonderful job with ourselves and from the outside looking in it seemed like a very solid appointment.

Having watched his teams week in week out we could see some warning signs, but looking at the job he done as a whole it should have been a good appointment. I thought he may struggle but even I was shocked at just how bad it all turned out.

Harsh to blame the board on that one IMO.

44 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I see this mentioned quite a lot but Murray SHOULD have been a good appointment. He was a young up and coming manager who had done a wonderful job with ourselves and from the outside looking in it seemed like a very solid appointment.

Having watched his teams week in week out we could see some warning signs, but looking at the job he done as a whole it should have been a good appointment. I thought he may struggle but even I was shocked at just how bad it all turned out.

Harsh to blame the board on that one IMO.

They let Gary Teale take over from Tommy Craig, a young manager trying to make his way in the game and then basically hung him out to dry. They should have given him more time rather than waste more compensation and another wage on Murray. 

Speaking to one of the ex players who worked under Murray, he said that Murray had lost the dressing room as early as pre season. He didn't take training sessions and just left it to Spalding who the players had even less respect for.

Whatever went on behind the scenes it was clear that Murray was struggling to make any kind of impact. Maybe the more experienced senior players should also share some of the blame for their part in his downfall. 

4 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Whatever went on behind the scenes it was clear that Murray was struggling to make any kind of impact. Maybe the more experienced senior players should also share some of the blame for their part in his downfall. 

I think we created a perfect storm of f**k-ups, TBH, right across the club. We're still in the eye of it. It's going to need a special appointment and a lot of luck to set us right.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I think we created a perfect storm of f**k-ups, TBH, right across the club. We're still in the eye of it. It's going to need a special appointment and a lot of luck to set us right.

Who would your preffered choice be from the rumoured final four of Jack Ross,Gus, Mixu and shudder Fullarton. 

They let Gary Teale take over from Tommy Craig, a young manager trying to make his way in the game and then basically hung him out to dry. They should have given him more time rather than waste more compensation and another wage on Murray. 

Speaking to one of the ex players who worked under Murray, he said that Murray had lost the dressing room as early as pre season. He didn't take training sessions and just left it to Spalding who the players had even less respect for.

The point still stands though. He was a good up and coming gaffer who had a good record with ourselves on a shoe string budget and knew the league inside out. Overall it was a decent appointment and should have worked better.How he went about his business after he was appointed can't be blamed on the board.

FWIW he never took the training when he was with us either, having an assistant deal with the majority of the training side of things is fairly common.

10 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Who would your preffered choice be from the rumoured final four of Jack Ross,Gus, Mixu and shudder Fullarton. 

f**k knows! In all honesty, I'm not that inspired by any of them.

Ross, I guess, mainly because of how divisive Gus would be.

In order: Ross > Gus > Mixu > Fullarton.

I was keen on Mixu a few years ago but he's ruined himself a bit with his spells at Hibs and DUFC. He does have more experience at the level we aspire to be at, I suppose.

As for Fullarton, I know there's someone talking him up on B&WA but I really can't see that he has anywhere near enough experience in the job.

Gus is Gus. At least we know what we're getting, and at least we might sign a (decent) central midfielder again. Nobody can deny what he did for the club, but equally nobody can deny that the football wasn't great. Albeit shitfesting our way out of this mess is probably what we need right now.

23 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

f**k knows! In all honesty, I'm not that inspired by any of them.

Ross, I guess, mainly because of how divisive Gus would be.

In order: Ross > Gus > Mixu > Fullarton.

I was keen on Mixu a few years ago but he's ruined himself a bit with his spells at Hibs and DUFC. He does have more experience at the level we aspire to be at, I suppose.

As for Fullarton, I know there's someone talking him up on B&WA but I really can't see that he has anywhere near enough experience in the job.

Gus is Gus. At least we know what we're getting, and at least we might sign a (decent) central midfielder again. Nobody can deny what he did for the club, but equally nobody can deny that the football wasn't great. Albeit shitfesting our way out of this mess is probably what we need right now.

It is so obvious that guy is either Fullarton, a relative or a mate as he keeps talking him up, won't hear a word against him and knows a ridiculous amount about him. I don't think I could handle putting up with that on a daily basis if Fullarton gets appointed.

An unmentioned positive if Gus doesn't get the job is it will ruin Lex's year. He's so excited about the prospect of him returning - it's like the shit summer camp the kids go to in the Simpsons and Bart just sits in the corner rocking back and forth while muttering "Krusty is coming".

Archived