The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

Not according to this:

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=65013

I had to check when you mentioned it as I did have a vague memory of him maybe coming on as a sub for them. Must have dreamt it. So in theory he's free to move on elsewhere. He's scored two in 10 for us, but only against Embra City and Albion Rovers (none intended) - so hardly form that suggests he'd be going back and getting picked for Aberdeen.

He's just being crowded out in our ridiculous top-heavy squad, but would be a great signing for probably six of the other Championship clubs (can't see Hibs, Arabs or Falkirk going for him).

Don't quote me on this but I think even being named on the bench counts. I'm just thinking back to the Tidser saga when he joined Morton although that was cross border so it may well be different.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the interviews from all parties are decent so far. Good to see Scott going into a bit of detail about the deficiencies in the squad - it's reassuring to know that they can see it as well (sometimes you wonder...)

Obviously budget will be thin for strengthening in January, but I suspect Gordon will be brought back immediately, and I can imagine maybe Shankland being sent away to create squad space for a midfielder. GLS makes specific reference to the folly of having five strikers and no defensive midfielder or left back, and given that Hardie is scoring goals, and the other strikers are under contract, Shankland seems the most likely fall guy. Shame, as he can clearly do a job. Would it be a massive shock to see him rock up at somewhere like Morton and scoring eight goals in the latter half of the season? Not for me.

I also predict frenzied calls for Goodwin to follow Ross back when the window opens, but I don't think it could or should happen. If anything, Jim should have his eye on getting a coaching position nailed at Alloa.

Shankland actually wants to be at saints unlike Hardie who looks totally uninterested and wishes he was back at ibrox.

Hopefully Ross can get Shankland firing on all cylinders because he could be a big asset if used properly.

I think the interviews from all parties are decent so far. Good to see Scott going into a bit of detail about the deficiencies in the squad - it's reassuring to know that they can see it as well (sometimes you wonder...)

Obviously budget will be thin for strengthening in January, but I suspect Gordon will be brought back immediately, and I can imagine maybe Shankland being sent away to create squad space for a midfielder. GLS makes specific reference to the folly of having five strikers and no defensive midfielder or left back, and given that Hardie is scoring goals, and the other strikers are under contract, Shankland seems the most likely fall guy. Shame, as he can clearly do a job. Would it be a massive shock to see him rock up at somewhere like Morton and scoring eight goals in the latter half of the season? Not for me.

I also predict frenzied calls for Goodwin to follow Ross back when the window opens, but I don't think it could or should happen. If anything, Jim should have his eye on getting a coaching position nailed at Alloa.

I think Hardie's loan runs out in January, maybe let fate decide it but i'd rather have Shankland. Scored some great goals last season, Hardie scored a belter against the Pars too but it's just not suiting our system. If i had the choice i'd get rid of Clarkson but he has been decent.

6 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I think Hardie's loan runs out in January, maybe let fate decide it but i'd rather have Shankland. Scored some great goals last season, Hardie scored a belter against the Pars too but it's just not suiting our system. If i had the choice i'd get rid of Clarkson but he has been decent.

Clarkson could and should play a role in the middle of the park between now and January. 

46 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Don't quote me on this but I think even being named on the bench counts. I'm just thinking back to the Tidser saga when he joined Morton although that was cross border so it may well be different.

Being on the bench doesn't count. The "play for two clubs in a season" rule relates to actually getting on the pitch. Tidser had already played on the pitch for two different clubs before he moved to Morton.

Being on the bench doesn't count. The "play for two clubs in a season" rule relates to actually getting on the pitch. Tidser had already played on the pitch for two different clubs before he moved to Morton.

I remember there being some sort of issue with the Tidser thing, although I may wrong. Like he was only named on the bench/only played for the reserves type of scenario. Or was it that he only played a handful minutes from the bench?

My memory is fuckin attrocious.

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Even if it did, you're right that it's the cross border moves that are the issue. It's a FIFA rule, but national associations are in their power to ignore it for domestic transfers, so even if Shankland had featured for Aberdeen he could go somewhere else having played for St. Mirren. Tidser required FIFA approval, so they blocked it.

39 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Even if it did, you're right that it's the cross border moves that are the issue. It's a FIFA rule, but national associations are in their power to ignore it for domestic transfers, so even if Shankland had featured for Aberdeen he could go somewhere else having played for St. Mirren. Tidser required FIFA approval, so they blocked it.

No he couldn't. National Associations may have it in their power to ignore it domestically but the SFA DO enforce it (the English FA do not or at least didn't previously, not sure what they do this season). Two senior clubs only.

Didn't you guys only get McManus on loan for the 2nd half of your title winning season due to the 2 senior clubs rule?

IIRC Aberdeen wanted to be able to send him to a championship club but couldn't as he had played about 20 mins for Aberdeen before initially going on loan?

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No he couldn't. National Associations may have it in their power to ignore it domestically but the SFA DO enforce it (the English FA do not or at least didn't previously, not sure what they do this season). Two senior clubs only.

I think that ties in with the situation we had with Mike Grella years ago. He was eligible to sign with another English side but couldn't sign for Motherwell as he'd played with two clubs already, one as an "emergency loan" which the FA didn't recognise as an "official transfer". http://stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/motherwell/223267-motherwell-may-seek-answers-over-loan-deal-inconsistencies/

It seems to be the case that in the English lower leagues the "emergency loan" system has been binned so players only seem to be able to move during registration windows down there now.

Not going to lie. This is the first time I've been even slightly excited about St Mirren in a long time. Been disappointed far too much recently, so not getting my hopes up too much. Fingers crossed though.

Archived