The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

6 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

The last time we met at Scapa the talk was of St. Mirren being forced to field young players through injuries/suspensions and how this was our best chance to get a win. Predictably, for many of us at least, ended 1-0 Saints.

I have no idea what to expect this time, although we could have done with Rae having stayed a bit longer.

To be fair Duffy "Duffied" it and played 2 centre backs at centre mid and the two central midfielders out wide.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We probably wouldn't have been relegated, but it would have been another 1-2 seasons of turgid inconsistent football constantly trying to scrape into 10th despite other teams of similar size consistently finishing in the top 6. We can look back on them as good days compared to now, but I doubt he would have lasted much longer anyway.

We probably wouldn't have been relegated, but it would have been another 1-2 seasons of turgid inconsistent football constantly trying to scrape into 10th despite other teams of similar size consistently finishing in the top 6. We can look back on them as good days compared to now, but I doubt he would have lasted much longer anyway.

I know which 10th spot I'd rather be scraping for and it's not the one we are currently chasing.

18 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

When Danny left I felt it was the right time. Problem was who we replaced him with.

This, of course, is the truth of the matter. Objectively, it was time for him to go, but there isn't a single Saints fan who would have got rid if they'd known the replacement was Tommy Craig. Worst/laziest appointment process ever? Quite possibly. Hugely negligent, IMO.

Over the last few years there have been various times folk have said it was the worst Saints team in history - even under Lennon's tenure. I always argued that while those teams may have been shite, they were at least shite in the SPL/Premiership, as opposed to the dross under Coughlin and Fitzpatrick. However, while I still feel we have better players in our squad than those two managers, the league table doesn't lie. I think we can safely say this is the worst Saints team in living memory, if not ever. Three points adrift at the bottom of the second tier, no wins in 10 league games (12 if you go back to the start of last season) and seemingly spiralling towards our second relegation in three years and the third level of Scottish football for the first time in history.

How the hell have we ended up in this clusterfuck of a position? It's been a pretty much steady decline since the cup win, as if the whole club has given up because it's going to take a hell of a lot to top that. The old board fannied about the season after with repeated uncertainty over Lennon, then they appointed Craig. They have to take the blame for a series of bad appointments, and their replacements need to take the blame for squandering budgets, especially as Murray and Rae would have a decent amount to spend for Championship level. Likewise, a lot of the players they did sign need to take a good look at themselves. There's a fair few in our squad who fans at other clubs would probably have taken so there's a lot of underperformance. They need to get the finger out because this season is only going one way.

Looking back, the pish in the 1990s and between the first relegation and Gus coming in was easier to stomach because we were financially fecked. We're on the soundest footing we have been for years yet are heading to the lowest point in our history (which will surely come on Tuesday when Morton finally beat us...). We're an utter shambles.

Rant over. Seething, raging, verge of tears and all the rest of it.

22 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

If you don't beat us (winless away from home since 5/12/2015) next week then I suggest you just chuck this season away, follow us to League 1 and enjoy trips to Brechin and the like. 

Ah but this is exactly the sort of situation we normally f**k up. Haven't won for a while or got a striker on a goal drought? Worry not! St Mirren will solve all your problems. Every. Sodding. Time.

Just now, Stu said:

Ah but this is exactly the sort of situation we normally f**k up. Haven't won for a while or got a striker on a goal drought? Worry not! St Mirren will solve all your problems. Every. Sodding. Time.

Swap St Mirren and Dumbarton and you'll have us this season!

I predict a draw that suits neither team. Exactly like today for us and the Pars.

Thought I'd take a look at some numbers to work out exactly how fucked we are. Those of a sensitive disposition, or the easily bored, might want to look away now.

I've taken data from the past 10 years, and the average 9th-placed team finishes with 35.7 points; the average 8th-placed finishes with 38.5. Both of those have been skewed by the season with Hearts, Hibs and the plucky new team, so removing those abnormally low totals (8th and 9th both had 27 points) we are left with 39.7 and 36.6.

Let's call those 40 and 37 points 'needed' to finish 8th and 9th respectively.

We currently have four points from 10 games. To nick 8th and avoid a playoff, therefore, we need 36 points from our remaining 26 games. We need to convert our current rate of 0.4ppg to 1.3ppg.

12 wins from 26 games, then. Not going to happen. 

Let's say we get eight draws (not unreasonable based on current form): that means we'd need nine additional wins to make reasonably sure.

Normally, you'd say this isn't that daunting a prospect, but you'd assume we're going to lose tomorrow, so we'll need 36 from 25 games...

Of course, we don't necessarily need to match previous 8th-placed scores, we only need to beat 9th (ie one fewer win required over the whole season). On three occasions in the past 10 years, 9th has equaled or beaten 40 points (40, 42 and 40). So we can't take anything for granted.

Probably safe to start getting worried now. We really need at least four wins on the board by Christmas.

Archived