The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no great love for St Mirren but equally I don't think relegation would be the best think for the game.  They are one of these clubs that should be* in the upper echelons of the Championship or fighting for survival in the Premiership.

* based upon their fan base and potential income. 

I'll get called deluded, but I still think we'll pull this one out the bag. 

Slightly separately, in terms of mounting an eventual promotion challenge again, I've said before on here, we're not the sort of team that is going to come out on top of a league containing DUFC, Hibs, Sevco, etc. We might need to wait a few years until the 'big' teams stop getting themselves relegated, and rebuild from there.

None of these teams are anything special, and are in this league for good reason. There's no reason why a well organised smaller sized club couldn't mount a serious challenge.

I have no great love for St Mirren but equally I don't think relegation would be the best think for the game.  They are one of these clubs that should be* in the upper echelons of the Championship or fighting for survival in the Premiership.

* based upon their fan base and potential income. 

'The game' is no worse for not having joke outfits like Hibs, Dundee United or St Mirren in the top-flight, you senile fool. You're not missed in the slightest.

Have missed our last few games (last night the only one by choice) but the midfield has been almost as much a concern as the defence.

And this seems to have been the case even more so last night.

We just have nothing there in terms of fight/experience.

Last night we had 3 20 year olds, and a 25 year old who doesn't look as if he knows how to play football.

Okay, so we've been very unlucky that Quinn has pretty much been injured since the first game of the season; but you can also say starting the season with only one experienced midfielder was incredible stupidity.

I've heard that Ross is getting no extra money in January, so I think that means all loan signings will need to go back to their parent clubs, and use the saved wages to sign some experience in midfield.

Oh how we regret letting Goodwin go.  Perhaps Rae's biggest mistake!

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

Have missed our last few games (last night the only one by choice) but the midfield has been almost as much a concern as the defence.

And this seems to have been the case even more so last night.

We just have nothing there in terms of fight/experience.

Last night we had 3 20 year olds, and a 25 year old who doesn't look as if he knows how to play football.

Okay, so we've been very unlucky that Quinn has pretty much been injured since the first game of the season; but you can also say starting the season with only one experienced midfielder was incredible stupidity.

I've heard that Ross is getting no extra money in January, so I think that means all loan signings will need to go back to their parent clubs, and use the saved wages to sign some experience in midfield.

Oh how we regret letting Goodwin go.  Perhaps Rae's biggest mistake!

The Morton team that ripped you apart  had two 21 year old central midfielders and a 19 year old and a 27 year old on the wings.

We also had a 19 year old and a 21 year old up front.

In defence we had the elder statesmen of two 23 year old centre backs, with two 20 year olds at full back.

The problem with St Mirren this season isn't experience. It's quality.

Is Hardie getting game time? I'd love to take him back at Rovers on the basis of the start of the year. It was highlighted at the start of the season but the number of forwards is ridiculous.

I'm not sure. St Mirren appear to have ruined him. Although with the way we're set up to play this season, Hardie would have had a field day I reckon.

With Vaughan, McManus, Stewart, Skacel and Osei to fall back on, I can't see the board releasing the funds to go for Hardie as well if he were to go back to Rangers.

21 hours ago, Colkitto said:

Whether you like it or not it's November and you're sitting at the bottom of the league without a win.

You are locked in a relegation battle with Dumbarton & Dunfermline. You are 10 POINTS  behind Ayr.

Don't be naive to think relegation can't happen - it can!

It's going to be a tough fight to get away from the 3 way battle and you don't seem to have many fighters in your squad at the moment 

I'm not saying there is no chance we will be relegated, what I'm saying is we aren't relegated.....yet. 

We are in a relegation scrap, it was probably an eye opener for even the happiest of clappers the other night and if the players and manager don't recognise we are in a scrap then we are in trouble. We need to hope we can scrape a couple of results to keep us in touching distance till the January window and hope Jack Ross can pull off some decent signings. 

Andy Dorman please Jack! 

This seems to be the biggest thing that's happened to Morton in like ever the way half them are going on. :)  Open top bus planned for the hero's ??

You lot thoroughly deserved to spank a poor saints side and we are in dire straights.  But i still think we'll do just enough to stay up as poor as it may be that's easily an achievable target.  Lose to Dumbarton then maybe not haha

Archived