The St. Mirren FC 2016/17 Thread.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Left back and centre mid apparently already signed, hardier and Walsh def leaving. Hopefully still looking for another striker / wide midfielder too.

SMISA Money also been voted to be used towards players, and no more JD sports!

Don't know much about him. After the Summer of 'Beath, I'm always wary when managers raid their former clubs. But... bearing in mind the market we are in, the position we are in, and the fact Ross will want a player he absolutely knows, then I guess it makes sense. As long as he's good (enough).

I'd be interested to know if he's on a contract, mind? Can't imagine us paying a fee. Unless Goodwin will let him move on, knowing he's next in line for the Saints job anyway :whistle

Watters looked an ok player with us at this level last year. He didn't get a good run at it in all honesty, was very much in and out the squad, spending the majority of his time on the bench.

I was never convinced with him at left back but thought he looked decent at left mid. By all accounts he seems to have been a revelation at Alloa so I suppose his indifferent performances at Dumbarton are most likely down to lack of game time rather than struggling at this level but I suppose we wont know until he makes the move.

Good luck to him if he goes for it.

4 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Im assuming Watters will only be a backup to Irvine.

Waters will go straight in at left back, far better option than Irvine.

Its also looking very likely that Naismith will leave, could happen sooner than you think.

It's Waters btw, not Watters. It's also Calum with one 'L'. A nightmare when it comes to remembering spelling!

He was a player I quite liked in his limited game time with us, but as BBPF says not really at left-back. I could see him becoming a very good wing-back or even winger but he wasn't the most solid in an outright defensive role. He's quick, decent on the ball and has a superb, whipped delivery on him. He took a couple of smashing corners for us, and almost always put a good delivery into the box. He's just not the best defensively - turned quite easily and dragged out of position.

FWIW I reckon him with a slower left-back behind him (Irvine for example) or at LWB in a 3-5-2 could be quite effective. I wanted us to sign him permanently in the summer because he could play anywhere on the left, but I reckon he needed a team where he would be guaranteed first time football. Fair play to him for taking his chance and earning a pretty decent move.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

It's Waters btw, not Watters. It's also Calum with one 'L'. A nightmare when it comes to remembering spelling!

He was a player I quite liked in his limited game time with us, but as BBPF says not really at left-back. I could see him becoming a very good wing-back or even winger but he wasn't the most solid in an outright defensive role. He's quick, decent on the ball and has a superb, whipped delivery on him. He took a couple of smashing corners for us, and almost always put a good delivery into the box. He's just not the best defensively - turned quite easily and dragged out of position.

FWIW I reckon him with a slower left-back behind him (Irvine for example) or at LWB in a 3-5-2 could be quite effective. I wanted us to sign him permanently in the summer because he could play anywhere on the left, but I reckon he needed a team where he would be guaranteed first time football. Fair play to him for taking his chance and earning a pretty decent move.

Sounds like exactly what we don't need, we have Lewis Morgan to play left wing who is a proper winger what we need it a left back who can actually defend. I actually think Irvine has been fine, he's made a few mistake and had a couple of bad games but so has everyone in the team this year and he's been far from the worst, most Saints fans don't seem to rate him though. I wonder if Waters is being brought in as backup to both of them if he can play either. 

Sounds like exactly what we don't need, we have Lewis Morgan to play left wing who is a proper winger what we need it a left back who can actually defend. I actually think Irvine has been fine, he's made a few mistake and had a couple of bad games but so has everyone in the team this year and he's been far from the worst, most Saints fans don't seem to rate him though. I wonder if Waters is being brought in as backup to both of them if he can play either. 

He's on decent money at Alloa and went there because he wanted games.

He will not go to St Mirren for slightly more money than he's currently on to play 2nd fiddle. If he's being brought in, he's being brought in to go straight into your team.

43 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

To be fair, he's only 20 and is now the market we're operating in. Young guys who we can mould into being stable first team players for a few years.

5 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I wouldn't worry too much about that. He has been sound defensively all season and impressive at LB against top flight opposition in Ross County, ICT and indeed Celtic away. In what is a recurring theme, it would appear that Jack Ross was able to help him play better than previous managers had perhaps managed. Confidence is a big part of that. 

Obviously under contract at Alloa and it would be a real pain to have to replace him next month. As such, I'd imagine that decent compensation would be required if he is to go then rather than the end of the season.

Archived