Stirling Albion Thread

12 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

I just want to say that I think Ross McGeachie  has been outstanding over the season.  His sheer determination to win.  His penetration as an attacking full back up the right  and though hampered recently through carrying an injury, he's been a star for me.   At 29 he's still got much to offer and I hope Darren thinks the same.

His long throw is a weapon too, it's led to a few goals.

11 hours ago, Thebino45 said:

Leitch still has a year left on his contract. I had forgot all about it until I spoke to him on Saturday and begged him to stay 🤣

Has he?? Didn't read that anywhere else but I remember being in a similar situation with Blair Currie last season, only for him to say he signed a 2 year deal the year before. That's great news, Leitch has the ability to unlock the Defence and has that creative spark that is so often missing from Lower League teams,.

20 hours ago, WattersIsGod said:

I'd like to see Clark and mcgeachie signed up for next season. Need cover for both.

.McLean as well. A new centre half signing should be a  priority too.

I'd resign leitch as he's a match winner on his day. I'd keep Kyle Banner as well.

Think we need upgrades in wide areas. Can't see Danny Denholm cutting it in league one probably not Dunsmore either. Kieran Moores pace and defensive work still make him an option I think.

Carrick, Thomson and Spence is a decent start up front.

Even if we did only get 3 or 4 additions but all were genuine upgrades, I think flat should be enough to stay up.

I've heard a few people saying that they think McLean will struggle with the step up, I really don't see that myself and for me personally, he's a key component to our impressive Defensive record this season. Clark and McGeachie, absolutely. I was actually really sceptical of Clark at the start of the season. Who could forget that Red Card on the opening day, and he just didn't seem to settle, however as the season went on I thought he grew and grew and it got to the stage where I don't think there was a better Left Back in the league. 

I totally agree with the wide areas and I think that's the key area we need to strengthen. I feel we lack pace (Moore apart) and a bit of a creative spark out wide, so I hope that's addressed. Not sure who the answer is, but I hope the analysis team have been looking at those areas. 

12 hours ago, WC Boggs said:

I just want to say that I think Ross McGeachie  has been outstanding over the season.  His sheer determination to win.  His penetration as an attacking full back up the right  and though hampered recently through carrying an injury, he's been a star for me.   At 29 he's still got much to offer and I hope Darren thinks the same.

Think Geeks has probably had his best season mate, and you are spot on in describing him as outstanding.

Edited by BB_Bino

Ii was initially sceptical about Clark too.. he seemed to be constantly at risk of a bad decision but its been a massive turnaround.

I think we take Geeks for granted a bit. He's had an amazing season.. the long throw has been a useful weapon and he's popped up with key goals and assists too..we have no adequate cover for him at all.

I still think McLean is the best centre half we've got but we still need to upgrade in that area.

It's a good position to be in,.being able to start to plan for next season already. With us going up we are also hopefully a more attractive option to players we want to sign/resign.

I was very wary of Clark coming back in to the side after  a long suspension.  If he had continued as before,  getting horsed out the door was all I could see ahead of him, as I don't believe Darren would have tolerated more of it.   He hasn't put a foot wrong since though and  let me appreciate the footballer he can be without the stupid challenges.

1 hour ago, WattersIsGod said:

I think we take Geeks for granted a bit. He's had an amazing season.. the long throw has been a useful weapon and he's popped up with key goals and assists too..we have no adequate cover for him at all.

I still think McLean is the best centre half we've got but we still need to upgrade in that area.

Again I agree, and both parts I have highlighted brings us to Adam Cummins, a player that I'm really just not sure of. Earlier in the season, he was Right Back in front of Geeks, which was a decision I just didn't understand but then I don't know if Geeks was maybe carrying an injury or if there was something going on that we didn't know about, however, I don't remember Cummins being anything more than steady. Then Geeks had to fill in at Left Back before moving to his natural Right position with Cummins then filling in at Centre Back or being injured himself, again he was ok but was he any better? From memory he has probably played most of his football in League 1, certainly in his loan spell with us and for Queens Park and Stranraer, but despite that and despite being adequate cover in League 2, I'm just not convinced he'll be anything other than adequate cover in League 1, when we probably need someone who will really push the Centre Backs and Geeks.

@BB_Bino According to the man himself. The first things I said to him was please tell me you'll be here next season and his exact words were "I will be it was a 2 year deal I signed". Which was a delight to here however as you say I don't recall reading that anywhere. Did save him being kidnapped until he signed a new one mind you 🤣

42 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Again I agree, and both parts I have highlighted brings us to Adam Cummins, a player that I'm really just not sure of. Earlier in the season, he was Right Back in front of Geeks, which was a decision I just didn't understand but then I don't know if Geeks was maybe carrying an injury or if there was something going on that we didn't know about, however, I don't remember Cummins being anything more than steady. Then Geeks had to fill in at Left Back before moving to his natural Right position with Cummins then filling in at Centre Back or being injured himself, again he was ok but was he any better? From memory he has probably played most of his football in League 1, certainly in his loan spell with us and for Queens Park and Stranraer, but despite that and despite being adequate cover in League 2, I'm just not convinced he'll be anything other than adequate cover in League 1, when we probably need someone who will really push the Centre Backs and Geeks.

Cummins for me is a poor Right back even at League 2 level. Offers little going forward, terrible crosser.

I'm not even sure I'd have him as Centre half cover next year. Think it's time to move on.

I'm interested in who people think we could move for. Obviously difficult to know who's available at this level, but still... speculating is fun.

Would Craig Slater join us? Forfar not really going anywhere fast and his day job is at Motherwell. Stirling would be more convenient. Jack Healy scored a couple beauties us against us this season. Is he the cocky, goal-scoring winger we need?

Unpopular opinion but I don’t think Geeks is good enough for League One. Yes he’s played very well this season but he’s been with us forever and has hardly stood out even in some really quite poor teams. The Annan winger completely skinned him from a standing start a couple of teams last month. I’d keep him because he’s versatile but I wouldn’t start him in League 1 (if we can bring in someone better which is a big if). 

2 hours ago, unitedbino said:

I'm interested in who people think we could move for. Obviously difficult to know who's available at this level, but still... speculating is fun.

Would Craig Slater join us? Forfar not really going anywhere fast and his day job is at Motherwell. Stirling would be more convenient. Jack Healy scored a couple beauties us against us this season. Is he the cocky, goal-scoring winger we need?

Christ, honestly who knows. I suppose looking at where I think we need strengthened, Alex Ferguson at East Fife, Euan O'Reilly at Stenny and Kalvin Orisi at Dumbarton have caught my eye against us this season. Are they realistic, I don't know, have they been consistent over the season for them to improve us, again I don't know, but their performances against us, I would say those 3 would be good additions.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Christ, honestly who knows. I suppose looking at where I think we need strengthened, Alex Ferguson at East Fife, Euan O'Reilly at Stenny and Kalvin Orisi at Dumbarton have caught my eye against us this season. 

Ferguson on loan would be great

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Christ, honestly who knows. I suppose looking at where I think we need strengthened, Alex Ferguson at East Fife, Euan O'Reilly at Stenny and Kalvin Orisi at Dumbarton have caught my eye against us this season. Are they realistic, I don't know, have they been consistent over the season for them to improve us, again I don't know, but their performances against us, I would say those 3 would be good additions.

I've no idea either, but we know Darren looks out for a good loan and stepping up to league 1  might help him with options.   It hopefully helps in signing free agents too.  In the end it's about the budget available for the manager even more.  

So much said about the money they spent at Stenny by their posters.  A sore lesson there. that it's not just about the money.  It's about who it's spent on.  With a manager who has now won the league title twice  at the first attempt with 2 different sides, I am optimistic whatever money available will be well spent.

Edited by WC Boggs
add

11 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Orsi is out of contract but there are rumours he's off to QoS. Been good this year but has struggled at a higher level previously.

Do like what Orsi gives. Has some strong attributes, not a prolific goalscorer but can create and caused trouble.

Doonhamers needing a potential replacement for Paton maybe who is likely to be enticed away given his stellar sesson. Heard Ayr are interested. Ayr will being very well to hold onto Dipo. Domino effect of transfers once again.

Danny Denholm has announced on Twitter that he’s leaving the club and on the look out for his next step. Think Danny would be a welcomed addition to pretty much every club in League 2 so hope he can get himself something sorted. Would say he’d had a decent season for us this year but I personally doubted if he would have the same impact in League 1.

Hope he gets something sorted soon.

12 minutes ago, BB_Bino said:

Danny Denholm has announced on Twitter that he’s leaving the club and on the look out for his next step. Think Danny would be a welcomed addition to pretty much every club in League 2 so hope he can get himself something sorted. Would say he’d had a decent season for us this year but I personally doubted if he would have the same impact in League 1.

Hope he gets something sorted soon.

I wouldn’t be against ourselves chucking Denholm a deal if we don’t go up via the playoffs. How did he do playing wide left? We have bizzarely given Greg Wylde another deal and I’d view Denholm as an upgrade on muck like him.