Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the game?   We played some nice football early on but without being clinical.

Big Gorman is 10x the player Slothgow was, really happy to see him growimg in stature by the game, he plays the ball out well.  McIntosh is equally as comfy but he needs work on the defensive side.  2 daft tackles earned him an early caution.  

The fullbacks dont defend very we well.  McDonald didn't force Cook onto his weak foot once.  

McLaughlin really looks a good wee player and is thriving.   However having Conroy play the quarterback role leaves us really flimsy defensively.    Conversely Fitzp is struggling to get either up or down the pitch.  He's an obvious problem  for us I'm afraid.  We're not tracking runners well enough and closing down at edge of box.

Brown worked really hard again and finished well.  Caution though that he was gifted acres at the first goal and the 2nd owed a lot to Russell's great run too.   Special mention to Gorman at the winner who overlapped Russell on his left and helped create space for Brown.  

We can improve a lot on today,  the obvious stuff apart.   Players still look a bit unaccustomed to each other, another half dozen games and we'd look a lot tighter, especially if we sort the midfield.

Rohan dodged a bullet with his error.  Only a learning experience for him thankfully.  He is great on the ball too.

For me, one of the most pleasing things about the game was the fact that Rohan's error didn't affect him. Within minutes he was out taking a cross, and continued to look comfortable with the ball at his feet despite Stenny closing down much better in the second half.

2:1 looks tight, but I thought one of Russell's offside "goals" was onside, and he should have had a penalty. And a less stuffy ref wouldn't have blown for half time when Chucky was one-on-one with the keeper.

A win was all that mattered today, and if we keep playing like we did in the first half, somebody will be in for a doing soon.

Also pleasing was Davie Irons. One of our fans had a pop at him for trying to get Scott Stewart sent off, and he turned round and called him fat. He wasn't even that fat. Irons' face was a picture when we scored our second minutes later.

Good stuff.

What about the game?   We played some nice football early on but without being clinical.

Big Gorman is 10x the player Slothgow was, really happy to see him growimg in stature by the game, he plays the ball out well.  McIntosh is equally as comfy but he needs work on the defensive side.  2 daft tackles earned him an early caution.  

The fullbacks dont defend very we well.  McDonald didn't force Cook onto his weak foot once.  

McLaughlin really looks a good wee player and is thriving.   However having Conroy play the quarterback role leaves us really flimsy defensively.    Conversely Fitzp is struggling to get either up or down the pitch.  He's an obvious problem  for us I'm afraid.  We're not tracking runners well enough and closing down at edge of box.

Brown worked really hard again and finished well.  Caution though that he was gifted acres at the first goal and the 2nd owed a lot to Russell's great run too.   Special mention to Gorman at the winner who overlapped Russell on his left and helped create space for Brown.  

We can improve a lot on today,  the obvious stuff apart.   Players still look a bit unaccustomed to each other, another half dozen games and we'd look a lot tighter, especially if we sort the midfield.

Rohan dodged a bullet with his error.  Only a learning experience for him thankfully.  He is great on the ball too.

Agree with a lot of this but I think you're overly harsh on Fitzpatrick. I think he made a difference today and on Tuesday we missed that, but maybe it's just because Hugo is SO ineffective.

3 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Agree with a lot of this but I think you're overly harsh on Fitzpatrick. I think he made a difference today and on Tuesday we missed that, but maybe it's just because Hugo is SO ineffective.

I fucking hate him as a player.  Sorry.

Being a bit harsh on Brown there, you have to get into the space created or otherwise. Only minutes earlier he stopped the ball getting to Jack Smith ten yards out who'd probably score.

I was raging with Russell not playing the ball into Schmidt earlier in a similar position. Schmidt kept having to come back onside and eventually it petered out.

Also Scmidt had a really great chance with his header which he should have at least hit the target.

Would like to see him start a game too, but that means dropping either Russell or Ryan (who I don't think deserve to be dropped btw) just to see what he would do with 60/70 mins.

Just now, Diamond8 said:

But that doesn't mean he is exempt from some praise?

I actually think fitz has started this season reasonably well. He did well against partick and today I felt he didnt do much wrong. Schmidt has impressed me and maybe McBride could play Schmidt and Ryan up front on Tuesday and have Russell on the left wing and brown on the right.

I was right opposite the incident involving Russell and Schmidt. If Russell had passed any other time it would have been offside for definite.

I stand corrected, I was at the dugouts. What a fanny Schmidt is then [emoji3]

Just now, Kennboy1978 said:

Being a bit harsh on Brown there, you have to get into the space created or otherwise. Only minutes earlier he stopped the ball getting to Jack Smith ten yards out who'd probably score.

I was raging with Russell not playing the ball into Schmidt earlier in a similar position. Schmidt kept having to come back onside and eventually it petered out.

Also Scmidt had a really great chance with his header which he should have at least hit the target.

Would like to see him start a game too, but that means dropping either Russell or Ryan (who I don't think deserve to be dropped btw) just to see what he would do with 60/70 mins.

Great point brown tracked back exceptionally which was just as important as his goal. He took the 2nd goal really where as his first goal was hit really well.  I think this could give the brown confidence to go on and shine now.

I thought Brown and Stewart were very good today.  Brown took his goals very well - so often you see a player with that much time just overthinking it and wasting the chance, but he did well.  McLaughlin was good in the middle as well, and I think we lost control of the midfield area when he was taken off.  He's done well stepping up to the first team.

Stenny were poor, and I think they'll struggle this season.  I said fairly early on that that the only way they'd score would be through a silly mistake on our part, and so it proved.  That said, we gave away too many free kicks around our penalty box, which better teams will take advantage of.

What I really enjoyed was seeing our team play with confidence and pass the ball with some sense of purpose and drive.  2-1 if anything flatters Stenny, we were pretty dominant and, as El Gringo says, I think we're going to give someone a real doing this year.  

48 minutes ago, waysider said:

You hate Fitz! You should have said before this! Can you not just be grateful that you have got rid of your favourite 2 centre backs. Two out of three isn't bad.

Aren't you glad we have the current pairing rather than Dizzy and Dosey?  Two out of four btw, we still have the Portugeezer

54 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

Didnt mean to sound mean, Brown did really well and 2 great finishes.  Just giving credit to some teammates too, they played a big part.

To be honest I,and I'm sure several others, never shared your absolute hatred of those three. I rate Gorman and I think McIntosh is definitely one for the future. However, I think we'll definitely need an old fashioned bruiser of a centre half when we play away to some grounds on a wet winter's day.

Maybe help is at hand re Faria. Some people have heard that he will mainly play in the under 20s if the first team is up to strength.

With regard to Fitz, I simply don't share your view. I'm entitled to my opinion as as you.

30 minutes ago, waysider said:

To be honest I,and I'm sure several others, never shared your absolute hatred of those three. I rate Gorman and I think McIntosh is definitely one for the future. However, I think we'll definitely need an old fashioned bruiser of a centre half when we play away to some grounds on a wet winter's day.

I have  said the same thing umpteen times too.   Bit dizzy and dosey didn't fit that bill

Maybe help is at hand re Faria. Some people have heard that he will mainly play in the under 20s if the first team is up to strength.

A completely wasted wage

With regard to Fitz, I simply don't share your view. I'm entitled to my opinion as as you.

And you're entitled to it.  

Archived