Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

Does anyone on here get direct messages from other posters asking their identity?

Once, but after a short exchange of messages, it turned out to be someone I've known for 20+ years.

On the other discussion:
Yes, people will shout abuse at players and people will happy clap, we've had them for years, we will continue to have them for years.
At the end of the day the old saying is 100% true:
They've paid their money like everyone else.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone on here get direct messages from other posters asking their identity?

No, although I tend not to get involved in prolonged argument/discussion just say my piece and that's it.

Not big on shouting abuse at any player regardless of how much of a f**k up they have been. Head in hands and curse under my breath although recently I did refer to Hugo as a "useless c**t" in a tweet during a match. I don't imagine he'll have seen it during the the game but if he was spending time on his phone it would go some way to explaining his performance.

9 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Yeah, I've had this from that master of grammar diamondatheart.

Lets have it right u said you knew me an a was a waste of space!

I ask you who i was?since you know every thing and everyone also asked who you claim to be to witch you gave no reply to both 

Glad to see we are are back playing the great game of who are ya ???

2 hours ago, Diamondatheart said:

Lets have it right u said you knew me an a was a waste of space!

I ask you who i was?since you know every thing and everyone also asked who you claim to be to witch you gave no reply to both 

Glad to see we are are back playing the great game of who are ya ???

Actually, I said I thought you were the "leg-end" that was JK from the airdrie facebook group and you lost your proverbial shit and started private messaging me in the strange variety of Esperanto that you seem to use for most of your typed communications. I didn't reply as the thought of busting chops with you was less than appealing, this exchange hasn't changed that notion.

Zzzzzz. Anyone care to talk about football?

Does anyone agree with me that we might be a bit light weight and might get bullied by some of the teams in the Division particularly in muddy conditions away from home?

25 minutes ago, waysider said:

Does anyone agree with me that we might be a bit light weight and might get bullied by some of the teams in the Division particularly in muddy conditions away from home?

I'd love to talk football but some of the trolls on here keep hijacking.  In fairness I've almost gotten to like you and CB today now that you've all started taking notice of the trolls I've been strugglimg with.

Re muddy winters, when the move to ravenscraig was mooted i suggested we'd have a team who didnt like to play outside in windy, rainy, days and on ploughed fields.  How can you prep indoors all week and step into ice station zebra on a saturday?

46 minutes ago, waysider said:

Fair comment. I think we would be a stronger team if we had no nonsense centre half. A player similar to Lithgow.

To be fair when this forum talks about footy and not any of the other dross most of us feel an additional centre half is what is required. Whilst not a marquee (re)signing I would have been quite happy with Lithgow staying on. Unless there is some unheard of wonder kid or a loanee (which we're not doing) then Lithgow is/was above average for a division 2 centre half.

Anyway, looking forward to the new season. Anyone in the know if we are actually likely to sign anyone before league season starts?

There's no point in being ITK.   Some of us have good connections but so many have been led up a path such as Gow, Prunty, Coogans,  Cox and others.   Whereas signings like Hugo, Conroy, Daly and Russell came out of nowhere.   I called last winter's cull 100% from sussing out with my own eyes, and been calling it since clyde game that we need a CB, CDM, back up striker (Schmidt since signed) and if possible a winger as Brown is not great.

And dont get me started on this love fest with Lithgow.  We should be grateful Livi offered their extra £50.  

Look at the highlights of the QOTS game.   McIntosh was slow at both goals sniffing out the dangers from a striker head and shoulders above L1 level (same issue as Lithgow and Crighton).  Conroy not tracking midfield runners at 2nd, etc.

We have a lot of good young players in the team who can grow and improve dramatically - Rohan, Stewart, McIntosh, Gorman, McLaughlin, Daly, Ryan, Schmidt, Leighton, Higgins, etc.   Teams like QotS are what they are or will ever be,  our lot are practically untapped, there is a huge room for growth and improvement.

I can see even in those defeats where the improvements can come from.  McIntosh doesn't worry me, he'll learn and improve.  The depth at CD is a worry though.   The defence is really young, getting a proper old school leader in for a year would help so much.

The problem just now is in midfield.  I like McBride's set up, only issue is that he needs a proper midfield ballwinner.   2 main ingredients in that player's DNA is the ability to break up play and to pass the ball.   Faria is too slow to perform either function.  Conroy can certainly pass but he's not a ball winner.   He's best suited to the left mid role.   Daly and McLaughlin too are fine on either side of a midfield anchor.

Where does that leave Fitz?  He's a good captain and leader but his performances are underwhelming.   He has the ability to fill that role if he'd concentrate on it.  Maybe he could be repositioned in there allow Conroy to fill the role he was brought in to do?

Remember Fitzpatrick was injured on Tuesday night. I think he could go on to be a key player this season with his experience and leadership marshalling the young players. I'm still puzzled by why Conroy was playing in the holding roll when we had the-Bald-Pirlo trying to spray passes.

I'm not as convinced that Fitz will be key. He can do that job better than Daria certainly but as said earlier a  defensively minded midfielder with a bit of bite, who can actually put his foot on the ball for more than a nanosecond and look for a pass,  would be a key piece of the jigsaw.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

I'm not as convinced that Fitz will be key. He can do that job better than Daria certainly but as said earlier a  defensively minded midfielder with a bit of bite, who can actually put his foot on the ball for more than a nanosecond and look for a pass,  would be a key piece of the jigsaw.

Daly

Noticed Livi released Darren Cole last week, anyone seen him play before? Mind you the last Livi cast off we picked up turned out to be the next best thing since Ronaldo so probably best staying clear of any future ones....

Not been to see any of the matches this season yet but hoping to get to the Queens Park game, but from the highlights I have seen there is a lot to be optimistic about. Yes the QotS result wasn't great but looking at the fixture when it was drawn none of us expected anything from it anyway.

Archived