Airdrieonians Off Season Thread 2016

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Conroy has the passing ability to play sweeper but defensively he's honking. 

I did say as a short term move :)

Out of all our newish players I really like Conroy a lot.

Getting in a player with experience to do what Sandy Stewart did in 2002 and Wattie Kidd in 1991 will not be easy.

Getting another dud like BoDiddy isn't an option.

57 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

I did say as a short term move :)

Out of all our newish players I really like Conroy a lot.

Getting in a player with experience to do what Sandy Stewart did in 2002 and Wattie Kidd in 1991 will not be easy.

Getting another dud like BoDiddy isn't an option.

Me too. Got a bit of quality about him. 

3 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

None of our 5 regular defenders are playing well.   Boateng I would never pick,  simply the most awful player I can remember and that includes Ogilvie and Conway.   Gorman and McIntosh both show a lot of flaws but I think they're potentially good players but both are inexperienced and need guidance on the pitch, and on the training pitch, to work on their game.    McDonald and Stewart are not helping the defence, McDonald in particular.

We really need an experienced central defender,  or an organisor, to work with this defence.

There are a few areas that we still aren't getting right;

• BACKING OFF:   Gorman in particular is constantly backing off.  Backing off leaves a big gap between the defence and midfield.   Was it better to back off Boyd at Rovers 1st or should he have pushed up?
  • STANDING OFF:   The central defence, especially when 2v1 are always standing off the opposition strikers.  Strikers are dropping into space and and taking a turn to run at them.   At Livi's first Buchanan drops off and plays the killer pass.  Against Stenny's 1st Boateng lets the striker take 2 touches and play a killer pass.  Against Stranraer Boateng, McIntosh and Gorman stand off the 2 strikers when 3v2 at the goal.
  • POOR ORGANISATION AT SET PLAYS:  Livi's goal from a throw in,  Stranraer and Rovers 2nd from goalie's kick out.   Too soft, not tight enough, too disorganised.
  • FULL BACKS NOT WORKING IN SYNC:   Look at Rovers 1st.  For some reason McIntosh is in Rovers 6 yard box.  When he is forward,  the central defence, the other fullback and centre mid should be in a compact shape ready to thwart any counter.  Instead we are gung ho,  McDonald is in no man's land,  is slow to react (as was Stewart at Stranraer's goal), and we concede a soft goal.  The defence is always out of balance as the full backs don't work properly and there is no leadership.
  • ONE FOOTEDNESS OF GORMAN:   Gorman has caused 2 goals (Stenny and Rovers) lately by trying to clear crosses from our right with his left peg.  He sliced one and missed one, we lost 2 goals.  Just use your right leg, surely?

As I said, I think it's cruel specifically on Gorman and McIntosh lately,  both young guys have played well generally but a few bad mistakes are highlighted.

We really could do with a central defender who could organise these young players.

One short term fix could possibly be to convert someone like Conroy to a sweeper position to play in a 3 between McIntosh and Gorman.  Use them as markers and Conroy would sit there as an organisor and use his considerable range of passing to build play.  It would need to be part of a tactical move towards a higher press too.

We could theoretically play with a back 3 of McIntosh and Gorman as markers, Conroy sweeping,  Hutton and Leitch in CM, Stewart and McIntosh on the wings,  Brown as your no. 10 (the Paul Harvey role) and Ryan up front with either Russell or McKay.

That move would also suit Brown more.   I've been frustrated with Brown as a winger as he hasn't defended the position well.   He is a good passer and mover as well having potential to burst the net.   But as a winger he isn't actually good at taking men on 1v1.   The no.10 role is his best hope.

Some good analysis there. However Conroy as a sweeper is madness. He's been a winger/creative player his entire career, suddenly sticking him as a sweeper to lead two young centre backs would be like the blind leading the blind.

I agree about Brown, I've always been one of his bigger fans on here, I think there is a player in there. As you say though he's not really a winger, certainly not in a 4-4-2, the 4-5-1/4-3-3 helps him a bit more as he has more freedom, but then as you defensively he struggles as he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. I've said before I'd like to see him as the attacking midfielder of the 3 centre mids. Although the problem then becomes who do you play out wide as we have no competent wide players in the squad. Your 3-5-2 could be a way round that, but until we get another centre back there's no way I'd be putting those 3 centre backs together.

In some ways Brown reminds me of Alan Trouten when he was with us, not so much in terms of style of play or ability, but just the fact that he didn't really have a position, and offered nothing defensively. Was never good enough wide in a 4 man midfield, and wasn't a striker. Unless we were playing with a player in a free role/number 10 position he was pointless. Like I say I think there is a player in there with Brown, but in his current role drifting about on the wings I don't think he'll ever be more than a bit part player. A more central role could get the best out of him consistantly.

4 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Some good analysis there. However Conroy as a sweeper is madness. He's been a winger/creative player his entire career, suddenly sticking him as a sweeper to lead two young centre backs would be like the blind leading the blind.

Tbh,  I was trying to generate some positive debate today as, despite my moaning, I'm an eternal optimist and desperate to see my team do well.   

Re. Conroy, he played a lot as a left back.  Brian McKeown, Sandy Stewart, Paul Jack and John Watson and Jimmy Sandison at Airdrie were converted midfielders or wingers who turned out to be fantastic central defenders - and organiors - at a much higher level.   On a grander scale Paul Hegarty, Willie Miller and Kenny Burns are former too level internationals who found more success at the back.

The key for us is communication and organisation on the pitch.   It may be a role that Fitzy would be better suited to next season when he returns.

The most disappointing aspect of the season to me is that none of the younger full timers have managed to really cement themselves into the first team. Sean McIntosh has probably had most game time and looks promising, but needs to get physically stronger.

22 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

The most disappointing aspect of the season to me is that none of the younger full timers have managed to really cement themselves into the first team. Sean McIntosh has probably had most game time and looks promising, but needs to get physically stronger.

McLaughlin has been a bit of a disappointment and seems far out of it.   Most of the 20s have another year to go.   I was really annoyed that Leighton was overlooked for Cairns on Saturday.

23 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Depends what you mean by younger, I suppose.  Leitch, Gorman and Ryan, for instance, are all in their early twenties.  Ferguson is 19.  

Yep. And Scott Stewart and Adam Brown are in their early 20s too. Including macintosh and the names you mention that's a fair amount that start that could be classed as young.

Had hoped a few more would have made more of an impression but as DBM says they're not ready yet. 

56 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

Depends what you mean by younger, I suppose.  Leitch, Gorman and Ryan, for instance, are all in their early twenties.  Ferguson is 19.  

I mean't the players in apprentice scheme or the full time under 20's as that method is our long term future. It was clear during the close season that Rohan would be the number 1. As TBM quite rightly points out, most of the under 20's have another year yet to hopefully develop.     

Leitch, Gorman and Ryan were all signed after being released by other clubs and are all older than Dele Alli!

42 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I mean't the players in apprentice scheme or the full time under 20's as that method is our long term future. It was clear during the close season that Rohan would be the number 1. As TBM quite rightly points out, most of the under 20's have another year yet to hopefully develop.     

Leitch, Gorman and Ryan were all signed after being released by other clubs and are all older than Dele Alli!

2 have 2 regular starters in Rohan and McIntosh who are only 19, and 20 y/o Stewart is pretty decent.  

Other than that though I'm struggling to see where the next 2 or 3 are.

McLaughlin is now a marginal prospect for me as he's not been trusted by Wilson who seems to heading for a 442 set up that McLaughlin doesn't fit into.

Leighton would be one I'm keen on but again, we could've done with him on Saturday and he was overlooked for an out of position player.

Cairns wasn't one I had high hopes for tbh but he does have a good attitude.

Loudon seems to be flavour of the month with some but his poor attempt at a cutback on Monday wasn't great.   Bollan laughed at me on here last year for saying he had half a chance of making it (due to his blistering pace).

Other than that it isn't happening for any of them.   Reilly, Truesdale,C. Russell, Higgins, etc dont seem remotely close.

According to my brother Gordon Dalziel was on the phone in talking about Airdrie's bench...

'we need more strength , players that can come off the bench and make a difference' 

'These young boys on the bench with the  greatest respect are not ready for this standard of football' 

'These boys with the greatest of respect are there to make up the numbers' 

Filling them full of confidence. 

39 minutes ago, Rennie1980 said:

According to my brother Gordon Dalziel was on the phone in talking about Airdrie's bench...

'we need more strength , players that can come off the bench and make a difference' 

'These young boys on the bench with the  greatest respect are not ready for this standard of football' 

Still think that it's a joke that DoF is on a radio phone in!!

Bad enough midweek but at a weekend when game is on. 

The truth hurts though. The majority are there to make the numbers.

9 hours ago, Rennie1980 said:

He's not saying anything that's not true but he has just slaughtered those kids.   Kevin Schmidt and James Daly are 2 more experienced outfield players who have failed to make an impact and they're not the "number makers" Dalziel alludes to.   

He also fails to mention that his 1st team needs strengthened.

I've pointed out regularly a lot of coaching points that aren't being addressed and it's clear some of the 1st team players need guidance.  Allegedly Dalziel said himself he was going to be at training to help those young players.  So far I'm seeing no evidence he can do that and his comments suggest he has no idea.

All that said,  Dalziel has only stated what we've all said on here.

I'm not sure his chairman wanted a chequebook manager so Dalziel might be barking up the wrong tree.

13 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

McLaughlin is now a marginal prospect for me as he's not been trusted by Wilson who seems to heading for a 442 set up that McLaughlin doesn't fit into.

Other than that it isn't happening for any of them.   Reilly, Truesdale,C. Russell, Higgins, etc dont seem remotely close.

Personally I've liked what I've seen from McLaughlin. Can't see why he isn't utilised more. Of all the subs he and Loudon seem to be bright prospects.

Think Truesdale is only about 16. Probably still at school, so probably wont see regular first team football for another 2 or 3 years. That said he was good against QP earlier in the season.

Schmidt for some unknown reason is regularly used but doesn't seem to offer anything productive.

♢♢♢

4 minutes ago, Airdrie♢Diamond said:

Personally I've liked what I've seen from McLaughlin. Can't see why he isn't utilised more. Of all the subs he and Loudon seem to be bright prospects.

Think Truesdale is only about 16. Probably still at school, so probably wont see regular first team football for another 2 or 3 years. That said he was good against QP earlier in the season.

Schmidt for some unknown reason is regularly used but doesn't seem to offer anything productive.

♢♢♢

I like McLaughlin too but where do you play him in what is increasingly looking like we're going 442?

He's undoubtedly a fantastic passer of the ball but if he's to win a place in centre mid in that 442 he'll need to be willing to work very hard to win the ball back.   He's not a winger IMO as a winger should be able to take a man on 1v1.

I'm frustrated with McLaughlin as he looks like he could become a typical flamed out Scottish prospect.   If he were Spanish he would be trained to be like a Xavi / Iniesta type playmaker.

Classic ugly duckling scenario.

He probably has 2 choices.   Adapt his game and become far more aggressive,  or dont.

11 hours ago, Rennie1980 said:

Probably harsh but ultimately it's true. 

I like the look of McLaughlin but unfortunately, he's been frozen out and doesn't really suit the formation we play as others have said. I'd like to see him come off the bench more often though as I think he's a creative player who could make an impact. Unlike Schmidt for example. There's no doubting he needs to fill out more and become more aggressive though. 

I think Leighton looks like a potentially good player too. I thought it was strange he wasn't picked on Monday instead of Cairns. I hope that's not indicative of his future prospects in the side although in saying that he has been the only youngster to get a bit of meaningful game time recently. 

Don't get the hype around Louden. Yeah he's fast but doesn't seem to have any end product at all. His crossing and passing have been dreadful. 

Truesdale looked against QP in the cup game but is still very young and certainly not ready for regular first team football. 

I assume the rest are simply not good enough. Thanks Kingy. 

Archived