Albion Rovers FC: Season 2016 - 2017

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, Albino Rover said:

I wasn't a fan of Bowman in the 3-0 game at Ochilview. Higgins and Holmes are getting on a bit but are capable midfielders at this level.

Jason Marr is in my mind an upgrade on the ageing Mick Dunlop - a terrific centre half, can't believe Alloa didn't start him last season.

Without doubt. He did play the first half of the season and came back in for the closing league games. Was an error for me to drop him again after that. Excellent defender and also great at playing out from the back. Think he could've got a bigger club but Albion Rovers maybe suits him. Great signing. Holmer is also a fine addition, very good on the ball, keeps possession and doesn't panic. I'd have kept both. Good luck to them. 

f**k sake I had hoped we would've signed Marr. Definitely one the best centre halves in this league and would've been a good partner for Chris Higgins.

Looks like it's been a busy night for Rovers with a couple of decent signings.

Higgins is atrocious can't believe he has been picked up by another club let alone one in the league above. A ghost of player barely looked to get involved in any game last season.

2 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

It was actually David Crawford who played in goals in that match (until an injury in the 83rd minute, when Bowman replaced him).

Only time I've seen him play. He came on and made a howler for Scott McBride's goal.

2 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Higgins is atrocious can't believe he has been picked up by another club let alone one in the league above. A ghost of player barely looked to get involved in any game last season.

scored 7 ?

BK: "Would like all new signings to be looked at positively because all have been looked at to see if they suit our style of play...
BK: Not what they have done in the past it's about what they can achieve at Albion Rovers.

Time will tell I suppose ! I'd heard we might be signing more Clyde players.... any suggestions ? 

5 minutes ago, Albino Rover said:

Would like it to be Scott Linton/Martin McNiff/Chris Smith/Dylan Easton.

McNiff is under contract for next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see you sign some current or ex-Clyde players. David Douglas, our old CEO, has moved to you guys and a lot of the players seemed to get on really well with him. Linton and Easton could definitely cut it at League One level but you guys could do far better than McNiff and Smith.

15 minutes ago, Greig1 said:

Joao is a great lad and will score goals no doubt about that. 

The last time I saw him he was a sub for QP in League 2.

Agree that Marr and Holmes are great signings. The others are underwhelming.

scored 7 ?
BK: "Would like all new signings to be looked at positively because all have been looked at to see if they suit our style of play...
BK: Not what they have done in the past it's about what they can achieve at Albion Rovers.

Time will tell I suppose ! I'd heard we might be signing more Clyde players.... any suggestions ? 

Yes he scored a few goals at the start of the season but Easton was laying them in a plate for him. The minute Easton got injured, Higgins was posted missing.

We tried playing Higgins up front, just behind the strikers or in midfield and he was poor in each position. He has a habit of drifting out of games to such an extent you forget he is playing. I really expected him to end up in the Lowland league or junior next season.

I would be very wary of picking up any of our players. We just avoided finishing 10th in league two for a reason. As said above Linton and Easton are about the only two who would be worth signing. However, both were injured for the majority of last season.

If you start picking up some of our cast offs like Scott Mclaughlin or Chris Smith then I would fear the worst for Albion Rovers. Marr and Holmes are too good signings but Higgins and Victoria have both failed to cut it in league two never mind league one.

13 hours ago, Albino Rover said:

Only time I've seen him play. He came on and made a howler for Scott McBride's goal.

pretty sure It was the defender who made the howler - not the keeper.  

anyway welcome to the Rovers Graham, did a pretty decent job on paper in the few games he played. 

1 hour ago, UnitedLoon63 said:

Scott McBride any good? Signed for the loons

I liked him, pretty versatile and provides cover at left  back which most clubs find hard to recruit. Plenty of effort too.

Certainly, I'd have kept him, but as far as I know he was one of the first of our guys to make clear that he wasn't coming back.

Archived