Berwick Rangers 2016/17

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Astounded at how many people I've seen calling for Coughlin to go this evening. I think he's done the right thing in offering his resignation, but I'm also pleased it was rejected. It'd be a fucking disaster for us if he was to walk now.

Inside 6 months of being a FT manager he's completely revamped our youth system and our Development Squad is actually a team for the first time ever. Point out that none of em are good enough to play for the first-team all you want - it's a long-term project that requires more than 2 months of a season to judge. You'll do well to ever get 1 player out of a Development Squad that make the grade - we have no idea how the current lot may turn out but I'm certain the structure now in place is far more likely to generate decent talent than our previous tombola structure.  

Those expecting instant success from the first-team because he's full-time are absolutely deluded. He is full-time, he does not have full-time players. He has the exact same amount of time available to him with the players as he would do were he a part-time manager. If the board employed him on a full-time basis solely to help us to league success, then they're deluded too. 

Today's result is a fucking embarrassment, yes. Should we be beating teams like Hawick just because we have a FT manager? Absolutely not. We should be beating them because we should have a better squad filled with players who do not allow themselves to become complacent so easily.

It seems to me that there are a portion of the squad who aren't receptive to Coughlin's warnings and it also seems increasingly apparent to me that Coughlin is becoming just as frustrated with that as we are.

The reason he offered to resign is more likely to be because he is as much a fan of the club as we are, than that he wants to get away, though I'm not entirely convinced it was for either of those reasons. We've a squad which has about 11 genuine L2 quality players in - and I don't mean standouts. In reality, there are maybe 2-3 at a push that could walk into other sides. Even guys like Notman and Lavery have totally gone off the boil. In our incredible run towards the back end of last season, Coughlin was rotating 5-6 players every Tuesday/Saturday. He doesn't have that luxury avaialble anymore.

Today is essentially a repeat of the Spartans failure. A game in which we should win, and end up red-faced. What can he do about it? Zero depth paired with plenty of injuries and suspensions means he's almost entirely limited in terms of his choice of personnel. Our squad isn't great. It is devoid of depth and even that which we do have is average for this level. However, thanks to Coughlin's tactical nous, the team that conceded 3 today is also that which maintains the best defensive record in League Two and also the only side in the League who are unbeaten away from home.

On that basis he really shouldn't even have to worry about a game like today - but in pre-match build up the fact he was addressing attitude so proactively suggests he knows what's coming. Yet now he's sat, again after making it quite clear to his players that they couldn't afford to get complacent, in the same place as he was in post Spartans.

So if after multiple attempts at trying to get a squad which continues to make the same mistakes to try and bring to the game the same attitude they've managed to adopt whenever they hit the road, how else do you give them a kick up the arse? An offer to leave the players to it and see how they get on without him should well give them the kick up the arse they need. No one else we could attract would organise a defence that team anywhere near as well, and if you think it's a team capable of playing free-flowing attack-minded football, then I think you're simply wrong - as soon as we open up we get pummelled.

I hope you cooked John's eggs to perfection this morning and didn't end up with too much brown sauce.

Fans are well within their rights to question his ability to take the club forward. 

When appointed on a full time basis, he reported that he needed more time to source better players and attract them to the club. This was the main reason for the switch to a full time contract. Don't know how much time he spent watching the likes of Mckinlay, Hamilton and Wilson etc but it was too much time wasted.

This is no knee jerk reaction, performances for the last two months have been woeful and there is no sign of the decline coming to a halt anytime soon. Players coming to blows on the pitch added to Mckenna's petulance is further evidence of this car crash season.

John wasn't sorely sorely responsible for changes to the development squad, in fact he didn't even play a leading role in this, others deserve credit.

Offering your resignation is a sign of weakness, a position that is almost unrecoverable. He has done this at Berwick, Stenhousemuir and Shire. More strength and leadership are required in such testing times, both of which are now questionable.

Its time to draw a line under this and admit bringing Coughlin back hasn't worked out as expected. 

Let's not forget the players, who have badly let down their manager, absolute shower of shit, no exceptions.

How about Ian Murray to try and salvage something this season while trying to drive the club forward, the priority being the eleven players that represent the first team on the pitch each week.

Well I am glad that Coughlin is still at the club. But he has some major problems to overcome.

He should have replaced Jordan McGregor. When Martin or Fairbairn are missing, Bob Wilson is shown up to be not good enough to play in a back 4.

We have also not got close to replacing Crane and Mcneil.  There is no width offered by Hamilton/Orru/Bev. That in turn makes Notman  look poor, as he has no easy-option out ball when he wins a challenge. 

He has also not replaced Finn Graham. He would have been invaluable yesterday in terms of extra energy. 

It all means that we have only one way of playing, and that is with a very defensive back 5. As soon as we get an injury or suspension at the back, we are goosed.

Team spirit is shot, too. The spat between Notman and Hamilton rumbled on for the last 5 minutes. And Mckenna almost got sent off again with a piss poor tackle.

Cough should get rid of all 3 loanees, and get 3 more in at once in order to completely shake up the personnel on the pitch.

He has a hard job between now and the January window. 

Watching it live was embarrassing.  Watching the highlights is excruciating. 

Dreadful individual cock-ups and errors from lots of our players, but an all round performance of monumental incompetence by Mckenna. 

Watching it live was embarrassing.  Watching the highlights is excruciating. 

Dreadful individual cock-ups and errors from lots of our players, but an all round performance of monumental incompetence by Mckenna. 

Some of the defending and finishing from Berwick is diabolical.

Coughlin's post match interview now on YouTube. Rightly has praise for Rutherford, Notman and Thomson. And that's it.

His reaction on the highlights to Mckennas bonkers backpass says a lot too.

Archived