Berwick Rangers 2016/17

Whatever your thoughts on Coughlin or the individuals involved, you can't deny things are far better than they were, and probably far better than a lot of clubs this level.

I'm glad our over 35s team, walking team, foundation are all better than other teams and our links with tweedmouth are strong. Just give us automatic promotion now then

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad our over 35s team, walking team, foundation are all better than other teams and our links with tweedmouth are strong. Just give us automatic promotion now then

Different issues.

16 hours ago, tescodave said:

Anyone who thinks this team will be doing anything other than fighting off a play off spot at the wrong end of the table needs sectioned.

This is sadly true I am afraid. Seen nowt to suggest major change on the pitch. Another season of struggle awaits and I honestly believed that before the 3-0 bumming by Spartans.

I was at the Deveronvale Disaster a few years back and last night's surrender was right up there with that capitulation. Spartans could have won by four or five and the scoreline still wouldn't have flattered them. They were sharper, more clinical, more up for it, more everything that we weren't. Dougie Samuels won the tactical battle by a knockout. What does it tell you about us that guys who contributed zero whilst at Shielfield - Stevenson, Horribine - ripped us to pieces last night. Chris Townsley showed the kind of leadership we've been lacking since.....Chris Townsley last played for us. We were lethargic, lacking imagination, took ages to get the ball forward, and generally outplayed by a more streetwise team. Only Steven Thompson, and to a lesser extent Jordyn Sheerin , could pick up their wages without any sense of embarrassment.

Anyone still entertaining thoughts of a top four finish were either absent from Shielfield last night or delusional. The managers' insistence - possibly influenced by budget restraints - on having a small squad has been undermined by injuries and suspensions already. McKenna misses Saturday due to suspension carried over from last season, Ben Stirling is also out injured and I'm now hearing that Sean Mackie took a knock playing for Hibs last night and could be out for up to 6 weeks. That means the same group of players being selected to start because there are no other options. McKinlay and Lavery were dire last night, but unless Coff bites the bullet and bloods some of the development squad making up the bench, something I'm surprised he didn't try in the dead rubber at Cappielow, then they'll be selected again on Saturday because the first team squad offers him no other options. With no sign of any additions to the squad, players are virtually guaranteed a start, irrespective of form. We've played 5 competitive games so far this season and have played one hour of impressive football, v Killie. That's a poor return, even taking account of the calibre of the opposition.

This is the 10th season since we won the league. And on the evidence so far, a repeat of that looks further away than ever. The club is making impressive strides off the pitch with it's community-orientated work, but the reason most of us go along is because, every now and again, we'd like to watch the first team contest things that matter. The community development stuff, stadium improvements, they're all ancillary to having a decent, watchable first team.

There's no Shire to rely on finishing bottom any more. I'm not convinced that Edinburgh City will really be a poorer team than Spartans. Nor do I think last night was simply a bad day at the office. I think we're in trouble, and unless the board can back the manager with funds to improve his squad, with a creative midfielder and another striker the minimum requirements, then this season looks like a struggle for league survival. That's not what we were promised.

There's no Shire to rely on finishing bottom any more. I'm not convinced that Edinburgh City will really be a poorer team than Spartans. Nor do I think last night was simply a bad day at the office. I think we're in trouble, and unless the board can back the manager with funds to improve his squad, with a creative midfielder and another striker the minimum requirements, then this season looks like a struggle for league survival. That's not what we were promised.

Great report, sounds as bad as the feeds I was watching. As well as Dev Squad v Penicuik.

What was promised, by whom and when? Specifically?

10 hours ago, Jamesy lawd said:

relagated didies bye bye lol we are clyde super clyde noone likes us we dont care

I fear your right theres not a lot to this side thanks to the boards bad decisions to choose spending money on pish instead of players. They need told that fans come to watch their team win and not music festivals which have musicans plucked from the 1800s. They will panic again in january when it hasnt gone well and end up having to spend even more because they were too stupid not to see it coming. i hope the board are ready to be told at the talk in in a few weeks...........

Any Berwick fans got memories of their first and last visits to Meadowbank Stadium when the Wee Rangers played Meadowbank Thistle?

Looking forward to clash with Edinburgh City on 27 August. John Coughlin to feature in City Fanzine.

Go%20Tell%20The%20Spartans%20FC%20Front%

2 hours ago, Mr Blobby said:

Any Berwick fans got memories of their first and last visits to Meadowbank Stadium when the Wee Rangers played Meadowbank Thistle?

Looking forward to clash with Edinburgh City on 27 August. John Coughlin to feature in City Fanzine.

Go%20Tell%20The%20Spartans%20FC%20Front%

Yep, was there on Saturday 15th March 1975.

Went up on my Honda CB250 with a mate (sadly no longer with us) on pillion.

As I remember the game was a bit crap and we were lucky to get a draw.

18 minutes ago, berwickdangers said:

Yep, was there on Saturday 15th March 1975.

Went up on my Honda CB250 with a mate (sadly no longer with us) on pillion.

As I remember the game was a bit crap and we were lucky to get a draw.

Is it OK to include your story in the new Fanzine "Fans Profile" page? Are you coming to the match on August 27th and do you have any other interesting short stories on the Berwick Rangers travelling fans?

Updated 27 AugustGo%20Tell%20The%20Spartans%20FC%20Front% cover version attached

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

Cough looks pretty fucking stunning there to be fair

Described as "a hard tackling strongman" in previous Meadowbank Thistle fanzines, Big John Coughlin looked good in anything in those two years at Thistle.

On leaving Meadowbank Thistle on a transfer for £500 to Berwick Rangers in 1993 he said philosophically,

"It was always my ambition to play in England. At  least I can now say I achieved that !"

Coughlin2_zpsrvokmiym.jpg

Archived