Berwick Rangers 2016/17

Outclassed by a much better team last night. If the first 2 goals were down to duff defending and goalkeeping, the Heed might easily have had more. That said, their players are f/t and on wages 3 to 4 times what we're paying ours. Most of them have English league pedigree, and to be honest, they looked a better outfit than the Hibs team we drew with last week. So some perspective needed.

The manager is mentioning his budget, or lack of one, quite a lot. I suspect he's got less than he expected, which limits his ability to compete with other teams. This season's playing budget is now spent up. There is no money for any more players to come in, though Beveridge heading off to Oz at Christmas will free up a wage. The responsibility for providing the budget rests squarely with the board, which is why I've been asking about a shirt sponsor, the hit that the club's finances took over Shielfield Rocks etc - remember we brought in a new director responsible for improving finances. How's that working out so far?

On the playing side, I share the concern about our lack of attacking threat. For all the work he does in the last third, Sheerin doesn't look to be in the same class as Henderson when it comes to creating and scoring chances. Admittedly, that was always going to be tough against the likes of Hibs and Gateshead, but there is a lack of firepower, especially when Lavery seems to have concluded he only has reverse gear. We need another striker. The ex-Strathspey, now Hibs trialist last night looked like he could find space well enough, so maybe worth another try. It isn't all bad. Fairbairn was excellent again last night and the back 3 will be rock solid at 2nd Division level. Hamilton looks powerful and both Mackie and McKinlay should give us balance on the left. We missed McKenna last night, with Thompson off the pace and looking like he was carrying a knock. We also look too dependent on Alan Walker to create something from midfield.

For all that, it's how we perform in competitive fixtures that matters. the friendlies are for fitness and fine-tuning tactics. The real stuff starts next Tuesday night.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That video, which is highlights not the entire game, shows Gateshead having 24 attempts on goal and ourselves having 3. 24 attempts to 3 attempts. Please continue your obsession of blaming the goalie for absolutely everything.

That video, which is highlights not the entire game, shows Gateshead having 24 attempts on goal and ourselves having 3. 24 attempts to 3 attempts. Please continue your obsession of blaming the goalie for absolutely everything.

Some quality defending going on there. If Gateshead had brought their shooting boots it could have been 12 nowt.

He isn't getting blamed for absolutely everything. He didn't give away either penalty for example. He was clearly at fault for the other two goals though. Stop getting so flustered about it and take the blinkers off.

4 hours ago, Yellow Feet said:

Jesus. What a fucking tablet you are

I can't really judge Sheerin on two games against full time outfits to be fair, but we aren't exactly blessed with options up there. I was impressed with the movement of the trialist last night though, even though he didn't get a shot on goal.

https://audioboom.com/boos/4813078-berwick-aiming-for-top-four-finish-coughlin

If the link works, this is Coffs post match interview with Radio Newcastle.  He doesn't sound too chuffed.

Irrespective of his need to wear John Clarks shorts, I'm not convinced that Allan Walker is good enough to run a midfield at this level anyway.  But it sounds like we ain't getting anyone else. 

I never post on here but some of you lot are a bunch of total rockets having a pop at the keepers constantly. How many attempts were on goal and how many were saved? Huge percentage. How many clean sheets at the end of last year? More than most teams in the entire f****** Scottish Leagues. One goal was leaked, granted, but it's a whole team performance against a FULL TIME TEAM! And it's pre season. I reckon if Berwick somehow won the champions league some of you lot wouldn't be happy.

I never post on here but some of you lot are a bunch of total rockets having a pop at the keepers constantly. How many attempts were on goal and how many were saved? Huge percentage. How many clean sheets at the end of last year? More than most teams in the entire f****** Scottish Leagues. One goal was leaked, granted, but it's a whole team performance against a FULL TIME TEAM! And it's pre season. I reckon if Berwick somehow won the champions league some of you lot wouldn't be happy.

Give over. We've been shit for 9 years with one playoff appearance in that time. Fans are going to discuss player performances and what needs improved on a fans forum. People will have different opinions. If players/coaches can't handle that, don't wind yourself up by looking at it. You get paid to play/coach, we pay to watch.

13 hours ago, Redcar said:

https://audioboom.com/boos/4813078-berwick-aiming-for-top-four-finish-coughlin

If the link works, this is Coffs post match interview with Radio Newcastle.  He doesn't sound too chuffed.

Irrespective of his need to wear John Clarks shorts, I'm not convinced that Allan Walker is good enough to run a midfield at this level anyway.  But it sounds like we ain't getting anyone else. 

Good stuff from Coff. Tells it as it is, no bullshit. Agree re Alan Walker. There's a good playmaker in there somewhere, but only if he sheds a couple of stone.

Re the new sponsor, excellent news. Any idea how much it was for? And will it release new funds for Coff to strengthen his squad?

I think I'm one of the few that doesn't agree on (Allan, before someone else loses the plot) Walker shedding weight, I genuinely think it's quite a lazy conclusion to make. If he lost the two stone some are demanding he does, he looks the kind of guy who'd be quite weak and that's something Cough avoids like the plague. Plus, if Cough was unhappy about his weight, you'd know about it. He's barely played regular football in 2 seasons. With a run in the team I'm sure he'll find form.

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I think I'm one of the few that doesn't agree on (Allan, before someone else loses the plot) Walker shedding weight, I genuinely think it's quite a lazy conclusion to make. If he lost the two stone some are demanding he does, he looks the kind of guy who'd be quite weak and that's something Cough avoids like the plague. Plus, if Cough was unhappy about his weight, you'd know about it. He's barely played regular football in 2 seasons. With a run in the team I'm sure he'll find form.

As a former Sunday league centre half of little mobility or talent, I spent too many Sunday mornings watching fat lads in front of me with a wee bit of skill trying to find the legs to get out of the centre circle. AW reminds me of them. I think he's a good footballer, but is he a game changer? Lee Currie carried some poundage even at his peak, but he could go box to box, scored tons of goals and combined those attributes with being our playmaker, albeit in another underachieving team. Alan Walker has a lot to aspire to.

Archived