Berwick Rangers 2016/17

So Sean Mackie has been retained by Hibs for a development squad game tonight? Suspect loan deal if his parent club's matches take precedence over our first competitive game of the season. I thought the point of loans was to give (esp. dev squad loanees) as much competitive game time as possible?

Good news is that McKenna is available. Also hearing that Coff is still looking to bring in another striker. Peters (trialled v Gateshead, scored on debut for Forfar on Saturday) didn't turn up to training last Thursday with us. Nabbed by the Bunnet.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So Sean Mackie has been retained by Hibs for a development squad game tonight? Suspect loan deal if his parent club's matches take precedence over our first competitive game of the season. I thought the point of loans was to give (esp. dev squad loanees) as much competitive game time as possible?

I was going on about this as a potential problem for whichever cup has the Prem u20's involved. It'll be a real problem for teams.

Disappointing result last night but we didn't do enough to win.

Kevin Walker made two outstanding saves in normal time and looked secure throughout, though he was well protected by an excellent back three. It's a long time I've seen a Berwick side make so many superb blocks. Stevie Notman was our best midfielder by a distance. Stephen Thompson looked much more dangerous when pushed further forward and was unlucky not to score with some brilliant skill late on. Sheerin was a hard-grafting handful but is far too isolated.

Some bum notes: Alan Walker was a passenger, and playing him further forward reduces his effectiveness; Lavery slinked off with what looked like an ankle injury after yet another underwhelming showing; McKinlay looks sluggish and lacking initiative. Mackie has to come in for him. Hamilton showed flashes of promise but also some slack passing that created problems for us.

We looked more dangerous after Coff changed the formation from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2, and it was also encouraging that we finished both halves the stronger team, much like the final third of last season. What's evident is the first team squad is way too light on numbers, particularly on the flanks and up top. Hopefully the board recognise this and support the manager with some additional funds to make the signings he needs. The situation regarding access to Mackie and Stirling also needs sorting. Clyde on Saturday will be tough againt one of the title favourites. It'll also give us a better idea of where we stand. I'm still not sure.

Agree with most of that. We certainly lack creativity and miss Henderson. As you say, Sheerin was isolated and for me Lavery's form is a bit worrying. Sheerin looks like a finisher more than anything, but we're not going to create many chances without adding something else.

I don't want to be too negative because I think we're going to be hard to beat and that's important in such a tight league that we usually have. Brian Martin was my motm.

On ‎19‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 13:39, Red Mist said:

Good news is that McKenna is available. Also hearing that Coff is still looking to bring in another striker. Peters (trialled v Gateshead, scored on debut for Forfar on Saturday) didn't turn up to training last Thursday with us. Nabbed by the Bunnet.

I would like to think this is just a pre-season thing although it is pretty disappointing.

In practice we're highly unlikely to make it out of this League Cup section, or progress in the Challenge Cup beyond the first couple of rounds, so our only midweek games will be odd postponed or cancelled league games or the occasional Scottish Cup replay. Equally, the only weekend games that Hibs U20s are likely to have are in the Scottish Youth Cup, as the Development League is played midweek. Loaning from Hibs is useful in that respect - given they're a Championship team, they haven't a 'B' team in the Challenge Cup.

Disappointing result again on Saturday, but in truth the scoreline flattered us despite an improved performance in the 2nd half. The defence was once again outstanding, and Jordyn Sheerin a deserved sponsors' MOTM in recognition of his tireless work up front, but the midfield was off the pace again and our lack of attacking options on the flanks is a real worry. McKinlay was poor again; he spent his time on the park - before withdrawing with yet another injury - hoofing bombs upfield to no-one in particular. Hamilton filled in for Notman as the defensive midfielder, and was very lucky not to see red for a scything challenge on Linton. Walker was ordinary and McKenna worked hard but with little reward. Beveridge put in a shift too, while Brennan made one brilliant save and had a quiet afternoon despite Clyde bossing possession.

Jordan Orru (?), ex-Dunfermline, did well when he replaced McKinlay, but the absence yet again of Mackie, who played for Hibs Dev Squad at Gala in a pointless friendly on Friday night, highlighted the farce of his loan move. We look desperately short of players, a situation made worse by injuries to Lavery, hobbling around the stand on Saturday, McKinlay and Stirling.

So where do we go from here? Coff's made it clear he wants another striker in, and I hear a Hearts midfielder has been training with the team as well. On the other hand, the manager has also said his budget is spent up...........

Without reinforcements, I think we'll struggle to make the top four. The only teams I think we've got a chance of finishing above are Edinburgh City, Annan and Montrose.

Early days, right enough, but Clyde outclassed us in the first half on Saturday and in Peter McDonald had a player of real quality. I still think we'll be hard to beat and Coff has his players fit and well-organised, but we lived off very limited possession on Saturday and there was often no outlet on the flanks for the midfield, while Sheerin was very isolated once more. That's not a recipe for a top four finish.

23 hours ago, Red Mist said:

Without reinforcements, I think we'll struggle to make the top four.

With the current squad, I am confident that we will make the play offs. Maybe even win them, just depends who we face...

Spartans? Cove? Stirling Uni? The Shire? Brora?

;)

26 minutes ago, Kevin Haynes' Son said:

With the current squad, I am confident that we will make the play offs. Maybe even win them, just depends who we face...

Spartans? Cove? Stirling Uni? The Shire? Brora?

;)

Very good, and more realistic than a top-four finish.

This amount of pessimism so early in the season doesn't bode well though. The new chairman and his board won't survive another mid-to-lower table finish.

1 hour ago, Red Mist said:

Very good, and more realistic than a top-four finish.

This amount of pessimism so early in the season doesn't bode well though. The new chairman and his board won't survive another mid-to-lower table finish.

Only seen one friendly, but from trusted reports it seems we have another team destined for a mediocre season. We've been on the back foot from the start in every competitive game so far and that shows a lack of a decent and dominant midfield that can keep the ball for 5 minutes. 

There are positives though. The defence is much better than at this stage in most of the last few seasons. Also, potentially our most creative player - Mackie - has hardly played.  On top of that, Sheerin is showing signs of being a real threat up front.

Perhaps Orru can give us something where Mckinlay doesn't,  and Mackie & Mckenna can combine better in front of Notman? Tonight will be a good test against a struggling Kilmarnock. We should give it a go, at least.

Can't come up and watch until first Saturday home game. Hope we may have won a match by then.....

1 hour ago, berwick-the-unbeatable said:

I've barely seen us either, but the doom and gloom following two draws, one a league one club and one title favourites seems laughable.

Not as simple as that though Dale. In those games we've had by some distance the minority of possession; we've lacked any kind of threat from the flanks; there's been little evidence of creativity from midfield; & our main striker, albeit impressive, has been isolated throughout. We're not going to cement a top 4 spot relying on watertight defence and hitting teams on the break, and as a spectacle, supporters deserve more than that. Coff's 06/07 title winning team shared some of the current side's defensive resilience but it had a decent strike force in the shape of Haynes and Diack, and some proper pace out wide.

Even the manager is admitting 1st team numbers are too thin on the ground, and has stated he needs another striker. Granted, we'll have a much better idea of how good/ordinary/poor we are after half a dozen league games, but the point I'm making above is that, back 3 and Sheerin apart, there hasn't been a lot to enthuse about so far. We should be aspiring to beat the likes of both Rovers and Clyde. The former were very ordinary, Clyde good for parts of the game on Saturday.

We should also be aiming for something more than just being hard to beat. It may all come good and these early concerns put to bed, but I think it's legitimate to air them on the basis of two underwhelming performances, and valid worries about the size and quality of the squad, thus far.

BERWICK U-20's FIXTURES
Tonight away to Scone Thistle.
Saturday 30th July – Dunipace Juniors (away). The ‘Gers will contenst for an inviational trophy in this game.
Tuesday 2nd August – Penicuik Athletic (away).
Saturday 6th August – Linlithgow Thistle AFC (away).
Friday 12th August – Spartans Under 20’s (away).

5 hours ago, Redcar said:

Only seen one friendly, but from trusted reports it seems we have another team destined for a mediocre season. We've been on the back foot from the start in every competitive game so far and that shows a lack of a decent and dominant midfield that can keep the ball for 5 minutes. 

There are positives though. The defence is much better than at this stage in most of the last few seasons. Also, potentially our most creative player - Mackie - has hardly played.  On top of that, Sheerin is showing signs of being a real threat up front.

Perhaps Orru can give us something where Mckinlay doesn't,  and Mackie & Mckenna can combine better in front of Notman? Tonight will be a good test against a struggling Kilmarnock. We should give it a go, at least.

Can't come up and watch until first Saturday home game. Hope we may have won a match by then.....

Talk of our defence looking solid needs to be tempered by a bit of realism that this solid looking unit are a suspension/injury away from disaster.

Multiply that for the rest of our wafer thin (not in a physical sense) squad.

Thought Sheerin was brilliant tonight, especially the turn on the half way line and the ball into Mackie for the second. A vast improvement from the games I've seen so far, and mainly because of the creativity of McKenna. We've had nobody doing that job in the games I'd seen to date.

A good performance despite throwing away the 2-0 lead. The Hibs lads looked impressive. My only concern would be Alan Walker who doesn't look like he can last anywhere near 90mins. Coughlin probably left him on 10minutes too long. Good to see Ingram get a run out.

Archived