Berwick Rangers 2016/17

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that why the development game next week has been switched to Fife?

Weather dried up after i'd been at work an hour. I was just concerned because there had been puddles on the pitch at Forthbank last weekend and rain through the week. Heard it's ok though.

Embarrassed in the cup again, hat trick from a player that wasn't good enough for us..

Keith Hamblin reporting that Coff offered his resignation but the board rejected it...

What next for the club who's manager no longer wants to manage them....?

Don't get it

Berwick have been OK haven't they? Shocked to hear he offered to resign, bad result but league has been much better than the last few seasons so far? No?

If you really want to resign,  it's nothing to do with your employer. 

I guess that Cough is as shocked as the rest of us (2 subs in first-half),  but on the other hand it's the squad he recruited.  

Arrogance overcame effort, ego overcame nous.

For what it is worth, I thought that Mckenna and Lavery proved that they should adjourn to the Juniors.  Also that Wilson wouldn't be good enough even for that and that Sheerin is one game away from oblivion.

Astounded at how many people I've seen calling for Coughlin to go this evening. I think he's done the right thing in offering his resignation, but I'm also pleased it was rejected. It'd be a fucking disaster for us if he was to walk now.

Inside 6 months of being a FT manager he's completely revamped our youth system and our Development Squad is actually a team for the first time ever. Point out that none of em are good enough to play for the first-team all you want - it's a long-term project that requires more than 2 months of a season to judge. You'll do well to ever get 1 player out of a Development Squad that make the grade - we have no idea how the current lot may turn out but I'm certain the structure now in place is far more likely to generate decent talent than our previous tombola structure.  

Those expecting instant success from the first-team because he's full-time are absolutely deluded. He is full-time, he does not have full-time players. He has the exact same amount of time available to him with the players as he would do were he a part-time manager. If the board employed him on a full-time basis solely to help us to league success, then they're deluded too. 

Today's result is a fucking embarrassment, yes. Should we be beating teams like Hawick just because we have a FT manager? Absolutely not. We should be beating them because we should have a better squad filled with players who do not allow themselves to become complacent so easily.

It seems to me that there are a portion of the squad who aren't receptive to Coughlin's warnings and it also seems increasingly apparent to me that Coughlin is becoming just as frustrated with that as we are.

The reason he offered to resign is more likely to be because he is as much a fan of the club as we are, than that he wants to get away, though I'm not entirely convinced it was for either of those reasons. We've a squad which has about 11 genuine L2 quality players in - and I don't mean standouts. In reality, there are maybe 2-3 at a push that could walk into other sides. Even guys like Notman and Lavery have totally gone off the boil. In our incredible run towards the back end of last season, Coughlin was rotating 5-6 players every Tuesday/Saturday. He doesn't have that luxury avaialble anymore.

Today is essentially a repeat of the Spartans failure. A game in which we should win, and end up red-faced. What can he do about it? Zero depth paired with plenty of injuries and suspensions means he's almost entirely limited in terms of his choice of personnel. Our squad isn't great. It is devoid of depth and even that which we do have is average for this level. However, thanks to Coughlin's tactical nous, the team that conceded 3 today is also that which maintains the best defensive record in League Two and also the only side in the League who are unbeaten away from home.

On that basis he really shouldn't even have to worry about a game like today - but in pre-match build up the fact he was addressing attitude so proactively suggests he knows what's coming. Yet now he's sat, again after making it quite clear to his players that they couldn't afford to get complacent, in the same place as he was in post Spartans.

So if after multiple attempts at trying to get a squad which continues to make the same mistakes to try and bring to the game the same attitude they've managed to adopt whenever they hit the road, how else do you give them a kick up the arse? An offer to leave the players to it and see how they get on without him should well give them the kick up the arse they need. No one else we could attract would organise a defence that team anywhere near as well, and if you think it's a team capable of playing free-flowing attack-minded football, then I think you're simply wrong - as soon as we open up we get pummelled.

6 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Embarassed we only managed a draw with you lot. What a joke you lot are :lol:

you're embarassed? we lost to Berwick at home! :(

on the other hand we beat Hawick 13-2 a few seasons ago so by twisted logic that makes us better. I think. 

einstein.jpg

Archived