Election Night

Ideal set up of an anti-Scottish party as the face of Scottish regionalism and pro-Scottish parties as the face of Scottish nationalism.

I keep saying it, but it's good that the happy face of Unionism is stomped into the ground. Let the clarion call for the Union come from the small minded, petty, xenophobic North Britishers. See how that message compares to Labour's cries of internaitonal solidarity back in 2014....

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The media line (from the usual suspects) appears to be that this is a blow for the SNP (is it? still the largest party and were a relatively successful minority government before), and a blow for independence (well no, not really).

You'd expect the Greens to be slightly disappointed that Maggie Chapman didn't hold her list seat. Delighted to see UKIP failing, particularly after their efforts in the Highlands. 

I'm not exactly a big SNP fan but I'm pleased that they're governing as a minority. 

The media line (from the usual suspects) appears to be that this is a blow for the SNP (is it? still the largest party and were a relatively successful minority government before), and a blow for independence (well no, not really).

You'd expect the Greens to be slightly disappointed that Maggie Chapman didn't hold her list seat. Delighted to see UKIP failing, particularly after their efforts in the Highlands.

I'm not exactly a big SNP fan but I'm pleased that they're governing as a minority.

If that counts as a blow then it really emphasises the SNP's dominance. I would say good night to varying degrees for the SNP, Greens, Lib Dems and Tories, disaster for Labour. Dugdale surely can't survive this.

While I'm delighted the Greens will be able to exert some influence over the SNP, there's obviously not going to be a formal coalition here. I'm not sure there'll even be a confidence and supply, as if the SNP are needing votes they can flip flop between Greens & Lib Dems in who to reach out dependent on who's closest to their position.

Lol. A minority government? So the unionist vote is still strong. Bang goes any thought of independence.

Others have probably already said this, but it's a pro Indy majority, and the official face of unionism is now the Tory party, which from an Indy point of view is pretty nice.

If that counts as a blow then it really emphasises the SNP's dominance. I would say good night to varying degrees for the SNP, Greens, Lib Dems and Tories, disaster for Labour. Dugdale surely can't survive this.

A period of infighting and tearing themselves apart whilst the office manager clings on followed by a leadership contest seems to be the established route. The question is does anyone now care what slab do or is it just a sideshow for themselves?

If someone else wanted the job, maybe - but who the hell would right now?

I keep saying it, but it's good that the happy face of Unionism is stomped into the ground. Let the clarion call for the Union come from the small minded, petty, xenophobic North Britishers. See how that message compares to Labour's cries of internaitonal solidarity back in 2014....

Right enough, labour were dynamite in the referendum campaign.....

Not that I was intentionally listening but Kaye Adams referring to the Tories as "we", this morning.

Ruthian slip ;)

The Scottish SUN appears to have went to print a bit early. SNP majority, Corbyn leading Labour to worst results in 30 years, Rennie out blah blah. It's cringey at times in it's unfettered praise for Wee Nippy.

Right enough, labour were dynamite in the referendum campaign.....

They were the difference, it was Labour activists, commentators and politicians making the arguments - arguments about solidarity and public services as much as the standard managerialist fear mongering. The Tories simply cannot claim that mantle. Turn Indy vs Union into a straight fight between SNP soft left and Tories middling right and force the residual centrist Labour vote into a choice between a centre left independent Scotland and a Unionist Tory North Britain.

You'd have thought the Lib Dem collapse post-coalition was permanent, but looking at their mainland seats it appears they can still make a realistic fight in some parts of the country and the backlash is wearing off ever so slightly. They'll probably never return to double figures in MSPs again and can't afford to stand in every constituency from now on, but they're clearly not looking at actually dying out everywhere but Orkney & Shetland.

Hard to say if that gives Labour any hope for the future, considering the catalyst for the collapse is so different in their case.

Think the SNP will try and use the Lib Dems more than the Greens.

neither might be, it depends on how much Labour feel like supporting Tory positions.

Archived