Election Night

The 'Tories are not welcome in Scotland' argument was key to the different ideologies argument. I appreciate painting the Tories as the face of the Union is a good tactic, but I'm not sure Unionists will actually care tbh.

No, the argument was and should be that Tory governments with power over Scotland that we didn't vote for is unwelcome, it's about accountability and democracy - not necessarily ideology. However, it is useful that the case for the Union now passes from solidarity, public services and working class dignity to petty xenophobia, regressive social and economic positions and denial of even basic levels of Scottish identification.

Let the fuckers belt out Jerusalem as much as they like, it'll find much less traction than the Red Flag ever did.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really think the outcome of this election is very good for Scotland. Greens will bring SNP to the left by just the right amount. Harvie, Andy Wightman and John Finnie (ex SNP) are all excellent. Greer is mental but will be good for a laugh.

Majority of independence supporting MSPs is the key thing. SNP have only fallen short of majority because they did well in constituencies and were penalised on the list.

Thrilling to see Labour in the bin where they belong. I might have traded a majority for that alone in all honestly.

The fault line will remain independence. Those opposed to political independence for their own country will always be on the back foot and in the end they will be overcome and defeated with utter finality.

Could it be that "#BothVotesSNP" actually helped the Tories and hindered the Greens? (Assuming the Greens are, in general, the normal "second choice" of SNP supporters).

No.  If SNP voters had stuck to both votes SNP, there would be more SNP list seats.

The ballgame is how John Swinney gets his budgets passed for the next 5 years. I can't see him swallowing Malthusian energy sector economics or even the Harvie tax plan.

This is the (tentative) opening the Lib Dems have to #scrambleforrelevance despite the Greens having gained their 4 new seats.

I really hope we take it. This is literally the last chance to heal the rift we needlessly created between reforming Unionists and liberal Nats in 2007.

But, they are.

I'm not sure they are now.

I think Labour will now see massive changes, because it has finally reached the point where nothing else will make a difference to them. There will be enough Labour support on some SNP items and enough Green support on others that the Lib Dem 5 will be largely redundant.

Labour are no longer the opposition party and they cannot afford to be seen anymore as backing the Tories on everything because that tactic is one of the main reasons they have fallen so far in Scotland. Labour will have to be more cooperative with the SNP than they have been in recent years because if they are not, then they will probably find out that this isn't quite rock bottom yet.

I mean for f**k sake, they finished behind the Conservative Party. In Scotland.

Just checking the thread to make sure the SNP had indeed won - I've had BBC Radio Scotland on in the car and they seem to think it was the Tories.

It's absolutely amazing how many first time Torie voters seem to be phoning in to speak to Kaye.

:whistle  

Aye - it's pretty much call-after-call,

The one wee woman who called to say she hadn't voted at all but mentioned in passing that she'd voted No but wished she'd voted Yes was given a sharp 'OK' and sent on her way.

No.  If SNP voters had stuck to both votes SNP, there would be more SNP list seats.

But that's never going to happen across the board and anyone who thinks it ever will is naive, stupid or both.

The Big Question though:  What's happened to The Master's Brian Taylor gifs?   :(

That Wighton goal / Brian Taylor storm out one was glorious.

ezgif_com_optimize.gif

One of the evenings biggest highlights.

So it will be SNP vs Tories at Holyrood and Tories vs SNP +pretendy labour opposition at Westminster. Overall majority would have been nice but still a great night for the good guys IMO.

There are some real insufferable people in Yesland.

A movement and party politics are two different things.

I'm surprised no one came up with a Yes wheel.

Agreed, which is why I think the current result is about the best that the Pro Independence faction could have hoped for. an SNP majority would have been terrible over the long term. They need real opposition to govern effectively.

Good to see the Greens holding the balance of power. Andy Wightman is the man as far as land reform goes. That #BothVotesSnp shite was just that, shite. Nearly a million votes and 4 list seats.

Tories have done well, but they have really just set themselves up as the divisive Britnat ying to the SNP yang.

If the Greens could be brought on board though, with a coalition of reasonable compromises, would Sturgeon prefer that to 4 years of horsetrading with everyone?

Archived