Worst job you have ever had?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I collected eggs in a hen house aged 15. As I was the "newbie" the other workers gave me the rubbish trolley with a missing wheel. I was on my 11th tray of 30 eggs (so had collected more than 300) when a hen walked in front of me and I tried to steer round it (forgetting the missing wheel) I'm sure you can guess the rest... Needless to say that was the end of my foray into agriculture!

Worked on an assembly line in the Aulds factory in Inchinnan for 4 weeks.

Nothing I write here could accurately explain how bad it was.

Some of them had been in there for years too - just mental.

I worked in a slaughterhouse once........................................................................

When did you decide to knock it on the head?

Worked for two months at a fish factory in Eyemouth - 5am to 9am six days a week tailing prawns (ripping live prawns apart with your fingers) then on call all day to unload the boats as they came in. Can't stand the smell of seafood at the best of times, I was permanently swallowing bile the entire 2 months.

Found myself broke and out of work so I borrowed a set of ladders and went door to door cleaning windows. In January in the middle of a cauld, cauld winter. Feart o heights and standing shivering at the top of an icy ladder washing windows in the snow.

Worst job - worked in a slaughterhouse in Guildford when I was a teenager. I was given a sledgehammer and told to crack the cow's skulls with it. When I asked about bolt guns they laughed and said they didn't have anything so modern. All morning I killed cows. If you didn't swing the sledgehammer hard enough, the cow went fuckin' nuts and tried to break the crush. Hit the thing too hard and the sledgehammer smashed the skull and you got covered in brains. By lunchtime I was knackered, but when I got to the canteen everybody stood up and applauded. Turned out they were having a laugh with the new guy and I could have been using a bolt gun. I walked out and never went back. Didn't even ask for wages.

I helped out in a charity shop when I was 13; it was always just me and the irascible geriatric owner, and the shop was positioned in a bad place on a side street, so hardly anyone ever came in. That phrase about time drawing out like a blade springs to mind.

Auld b*****d spent most of the time upstairs too - never did get to see what was up there. He'd come running as soon as he heard a foot on the staircase.

Worked for two months at a fish factory in Eyemouth - 5am to 9am six days a week tailing prawns (ripping live prawns apart with your fingers) then on call all day to unload the boats as they came in. Can't stand the smell of seafood at the best of times, I was permanently swallowing bile the entire 2 months.

Found myself broke and out of work so I borrowed a set of ladders and went door to door cleaning windows. In January in the middle of a cauld, cauld winter. Feart o heights and standing shivering at the top of an icy ladder washing windows in the snow.

Worst job - worked in a slaughterhouse in Guildford when I was a teenager. I was given a sledgehammer and told to crack the cow's skulls with it. When I asked about bolt guns they laughed and said they didn't have anything so modern. All morning I killed cows. If you didn't swing the sledgehammer hard enough, the cow went fuckin' nuts and tried to break the crush. Hit the thing too hard and the sledgehammer smashed the skull and you got covered in brains. By lunchtime I was knackered, but when I got to the canteen everybody stood up and applauded. Turned out they were having a laugh with the new guy and I could have been using a bolt gun. I walked out and never went back. Didn't even ask for wages.

Wow. I shouldnt laugh but I struggled to hold it together reading that last one to my mother after she asked what I was reading on my phone.

I used to work in a popular chemist chain. It was arse achingly boring.

Look on the bright side, you would have got tablets for Arse ache no problem.

:lol:

Fucking hell, I really want this to be true! :lol:

WL Gore on Dundee.

Making the internal printed circuits for your chip and pin machines. There were a number of machines, the worst of which being "The Howden"

Pick up 2 sheets of clear polythene stuff with pre cut holes. Line them up on machine. Close door. Push button. Wait 30 seconds or so. Open doors, remove sheets, place on rack.

Repeat.

For 9 hours. Often on night shift.

Horrendous.

Archived