The Partick Thistle thread

I think it's great we have Erskine and Doolan signed up long term but what about the need we have present moment? I thought we had a couple of players incoming this January?

You'd have thought we'd have brought some in. Disgusting that January's over and we've not.

Hate to be a cynic here but my gut feeling is that we are announcing 'good news' stories like erskine & Dolan to cushion the blow of bannigan leaving in January .... Hope not but as much as this is good news for next year we really need to strengthen as of now or we could still be in trouble.

There's no way Bannigan will leave this month.

Also we were good enough to win 5 games in a row and become one of the in-form teams in the league so I don't see why we really need to strengthen.

We need to strengthen the squad, not the first choice 11 imo. Guys like Wilson and leyden aren't ready for the scrap we could yet find ourselves in. Ideally I'd like a defensive midfielder, a striker and a left back this window who could do a job if any of the starters in those position get injured or suspended. Not disputing that we have been on good run once and could easily do so again but always need alternatives that will add to what we have or can replace what's currently there, that isn't the case at the moment.

I think Dumbuya and Elliott will be cover for left back if Booth gets injured. Could probably do with an alternative to Pogba up front if Doolan gets injured and would also allow Nisbet to go on loan, I sometimes forget we still have Duggan but I think he'll be moved on permanently to QP or someone else at that level in this window.

No idea what the deal is with Stevenson, I'd assumed his loan with Ayr was the trailer to a permanent move there but he hasn't set the heather on fire at all and I can't imagine other clubs are queueing up to take him so he might be back for the rest of the season. If we get Erskine in and Fraser / Edwards back then that's a lot coming back in midfield.

We're not a club that can have 2 player per position. At LB I imagine Miller and Dumbuya could cover there and Elliot has also done well when playing there, plus I don't think Booth has ever been injured for us. He must have played nearly ever minute of every game for about a year now.

At full strength our midfield is great, we were unfortunate that Osman, Fraser and Edwards were all out (for different reasons) at the same time. That being said we need another creative player behind the striker, preferably one that can chip in with goals as Fraser is our only player there who can do that.

We definitely need another winger, really don't rate Amoo. From Archies interviews it seems the midfielder and winger are the areas we're looking at.

Edit: Wonder if the optional year for Stevo is triggered after playing a certain number of games this season, hence why he wasn't played.

Edited by Red 'N Yellow

I think Lennon and Hardie were our first choice CMs at the time so he wasn't a regular starter, although we did play 3-5-2 a bit. Always remember him scoring a couple of 25 yarders into the too bin. Could've just been once but it was a belter. Against Airdrie maybe.

It's got me thinking of a combined XI from our last two stints in the top league.

Cerny

O'Donnell Paterson Archibald ATS

Osman Bannigan

Lawless Hardie Higginbotham

Doolan

Subs: Arthur, Dumbuya, Rowson, Mitchell, Grady, Taylor

Can anyone tell my what type of player Jamie Dolan was for us? I'm too young to remember what he did; combative? ball retention? killer pass? Etc etc

Dolan was a good defensive midfielder, think his tally of 2 goals in one season for us- both belters- was his career best. He was definitely on the way down when he came to us, having been one of the 6 (I think) players Lambie signed that season who had played for Livi the year before and then been binned when they got promoted. We let him go when we got promoted and he retired.

Cerny

O'Donnell Craigan Archibald ATS

Higginbotham Osman Bannigan Hardie

Grady Doolan

subs: Fox, Paterson, Dumbuya, Rowson, Lawless, Burns, Taylor (took me a while to work out this wasn't Stuart when I read Reid's team)