The Partick Thistle thread

Stevie did a good job for us. Might not play week in week out but more than capable of leading the line and can also make an impression from the bench.

It was a few years ago but he played as a lone striker for us when we won the first division. He was brilliant.

When we were promoted I'd rather we kept him than signed c***s like John Baird.

I think most of us thought he wouldn't make the step up at that age - and apparently he's older now - so I don't think too many of us were that bothered about him leaving, but he'd probably still do a decent job in the Championship. He was pretty much just as effective as Doolan in that season.

Edited by Slacker

Trialist subbed after 65 mins. Reckon that's the last we'll see of him.

Archie quoted as saying Durrell Berry may get another chance in Tuesday's friendly vs Wigan. Apparently we are still in talks with Miler but have ended our interest in James Alabi.

Souce: Sunday Snail

Edited by Callum Booth

I think most of us thought he wouldn't make the step up at that age - and apparently he's older now - so I don't think too many of us were that bothered about him leaving, but he'd probably still do a decent job in the Championship. He was pretty much just as effective as Doolan in that season.

I can confirm he is older now than in season 2012/13 8)

He did a lot of running around and closing down, not with fantastic pace but was good at making a nuisance of himself, good at holding the ball up and had a handy habit of being in the right place at the right time when the ball broke loose in the box (winner vs Raith in 3-2 game, 1st goal of his hat trick at Dunfermline). Suppose the obvious concern would be whether he still has the legs to do as much running around for 90 minutes.

On the other hand, there were quite a few games where he wasn't playing well and spat the dummy when subbed, think away to Airdrie he was captain and chucked the armband away. Also he got sent off against Cove for a petulant Beckham at France 98 style kick out when lying on the ground, which maybe isn't what you're looking for from a senior pro.

Any of our posters head to development squad games with any regularity? Considering it, given it appears that a decent chunk of the first team squad members of the future are likely to be boys we've nurtured ourselves.

There's at least 2 or 3 from here that go regularly- I think a lot of the winter games are at Airdrie, presumably to minimise pitch damage.

I went more often in our last premier league spell, remember us getting cuffed 8-0 off Oldco with Stephen Dobbie scoring 5- John Lambie and youth teams not a good combination.

I go when they are evening games at Firhill at the start of the season but it gets difficult when they start moving them to Airdrie in the middle of the afternoon as soon as the pitches deteriorate. Once it gets to that stage the highlights on the official website are actually the one good thing behind the TAG paywall.

SLJ gets to most of the games although I wouldn't fancy him getting a job as a scout after he wrote off Nisbet's chances of doing much at East Stirling before he couldn't stop scoring in his first few games. :lol:

Steven Craig was included in our squad photo yesterday which can only mean he's signing for the season.

What type of player is he? Will he be able to play as a lone striker? I always remember him impressing me when he played for Thistle but it's hard to judge in only 4 games.

Seems like you guys are signing as many former Ross County players as you can. Another excellent signing, I reckon.

I'd take a higher finish than last season, a few of the young players getting a regular game and showing some quality. We need another front man to rotate / play alongside Doolan, and we need another centre back as Seabourne is injury prone. Though, one of the younger players could fill in at the back.

Above all, I want to see better performances than we had at the start of last season, when we played Stevenson up front alone, it was turgid at times.

We've lost O'Donnell and Higginbotham, with Lyle Taylor not coming back up on a permanent or loan deal. So three really good players (and a tonne of assists) down. However, we're pretty strong in midfield and Amoo looks a good signing. The boy from St Johnstone should be a good fit at Right-Back. I'd expect two more guys in before the transfer window closes.

What are Thistle fans thoughts/hopes for the season ahead and who have you lost and signed? Thanks in advance.

Would take 10th right now but I'd hope we are more consistent in picking up points this season and avoid the usual fallow January period where we find ourselves out the cup and with one eye on the places below us.

Hopefully we can start off with a flourish and avoid dropping too many silly points.

We could then find ourselves for the position above 7th but that would be an amazing achievement tbh.

I'm fairly happy with our squad retention/ additions. Although we have a need for a right full back and a centre forward at the moment.

Players Out

Scott Fox - ¢ounty replaced by Tomas Cerny 8)

Kallum Hingimybotham - replaced by David Amoo

Stephen O'Donnell - no replacement yet but we have been trialling Gary Miller and Durrell Berry

Conrad Balatoni - promoted a couple of development squad lads Liam Lyndsey and Jack Hendry

Lyle Taylor's loan expired and he signed for Wimbledon AFC

We've signed Callum Booth to a 12 month contract.

I'd take staying up and a decent cup run in one cup (i.e. at last semis) as we've probably been one of the worst cup teams going relative to our league positions in my lifetime.

I think we're still a couple of seasons away from being a club that stays up comfortably, sort of St Johnstone / ICT who are the model to aim for on similar crowds to us.With the crowds we get and our financial situation we're only going to get that with 1) outside investment, or 2) selling players on, then reinvesting. 1) seems unlikely so 2) is the way forward although unless Fraser or McDaid step up this year there's unlikely to be anyone this season as everyone else is out of contract!

The players coming through 19 or younger seem to be quite decent and the Thistle Weir Academy is obviously great but probably 2-3 years away from providing first team players (I know McLaughlin got 10 minutes at the end of last season but I mean someone playing 20+ games a season). My worry is this - sell, reinvest, gradually improve- was probably the sort of thing that St Mirren fans were saying for the last 5 years but other than the cup win they were just circling the drain and eventually got sucked down.

Departures have been covered above, we lost either 4 or 5 of our first team depending on how you class Balatoni, so that's not good. I'm happy with the younger guys coming in but we really need another striker to give Doolan some competition, a right back although this looks like being Miller, and one more- I'd take another winger/ attacking midfielder.

The Hamilton and Killie games in the first 4 should give us a marker as to where we are.