The Partick Thistle thread

4 hours ago, third lanark said:

Other than miss an open goal Mackay has not actually done anything for us yet.

the other 2 I agree would make a big difference 

That’s a bit harsh. It feels like saying Lawless has done nothing so far. He has only played 20 odd minutes in 2 league cup games and started against Motherwell before picking up the injury prior to the league starting.

28 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

That’s a bit harsh. It feels like saying Lawless has done nothing so far. He has only played 20 odd minutes in 2 league cup games and started against Motherwell before picking up the injury prior to the league starting.

It’s not harsh at all- he hasn’t done anything.  I’m not doubting he has real potential but so far in his Partick Thistle car he has not done much.  In fact that terrible miss against Motherwell potentially could have cost us a fair chunk of money.

How does it feel like saying Lawless has done nothing.  Lawless has been here 8 or so years and done plenty- completely crazy to even try and compare them 

12 minutes ago, third lanark said:

It’s not harsh at all- he hasn’t done anything.  I’m not doubting he has real potential but so far in his Partick Thistle car he has not done much.  In fact that terrible miss against Motherwell potentially could have cost us a fair chunk of money.

How does it feel like saying Lawless has done nothing.  Lawless has been here 8 or so years and done plenty- completely crazy to even try and compare them 

Like I said he’s has less than 2 games in a Thistle shirt and you know fine I was comparing his game time to Lawless this season. We didn’t miss progressing in the league cup because of the Motherwell game - that was losing to Clyde. Let’s not kid ourselves, if Motherwell needed to win that game, they would have.

16 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Like I said he’s has less than 2 games in a Thistle shirt and you know fine I was comparing his game time to Lawless this season. We didn’t miss progressing in the league cup because of the Motherwell game - that was losing to Clyde. Let’s not kid ourselves, if Motherwell needed to win that game, they would have.

No I’m basing lawless on his past record.  McKay as you even admit has only played 2 games for us - how you can base him having a huge impact because of the 2 games is beyond me.  Yes he might well do well but his biggest thing of note was missing an open goal.

As you know fine well if we had beaten Motherwell we would have got through and you don’t know if we had scored Motherwell would have won at all so your comment that if they needed to win they would have is baseless. Even kettlewell said they were terrible in the match against us and we were the better team. 

~ "Do you know the phone code for Glasgow mate?"
~ "Oh, 4-1"

Just like the universe, our mega-hub for the '71 game (53 years ago today) is ever-expanding, so you can luxuriate in the build-up, the match day and all the fun of the aftermath...

23rd Oct 1971 Partick Thistle 4 Celtic 1 (League Cup Final) →

1971-10-23-ga30b.jpg

13 hours ago, third lanark said:

No I’m basing lawless on his past record.  McKay as you even admit has only played 2 games for us - how you can base him having a huge impact because of the 2 games is beyond me.  Yes he might well do well but his biggest thing of note was missing an open goal.

As you know fine well if we had beaten Motherwell we would have got through and you don’t know if we had scored Motherwell would have won at all so your comment that if they needed to win they would have is baseless. Even kettlewell said they were terrible in the match against us and we were the better team. 

I didn’t say he had made a huge impact. Just that it was harsh basing his impact on 2 sub appearances and the Motherwell game. As far as I remember Motherwell had already qualified irrespective of the result, which was why I said if they had needed a win, they would have.

2 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

I didn’t say he had made a huge impact. Just that it was harsh basing his impact on 2 sub appearances and the Motherwell game. As far as I remember Motherwell had already qualified irrespective of the result, which was why I said if they had needed a win, they would have.

Motherwell hadn't qualified irrespective of the result.

If we beat them in regular time we would have won the group, and Motherwell would have finished on 8 points, which wouldn't have been enough for a best 2nd placed berth.

You're right that they didn't need a win. But they needed to avoid a loss and very nearly didn't. There was something riding on that game for them.

4 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

~ "Do you know the phone code for Glasgow mate?"
~ "Oh, 4-1"

Just like the universe, our mega-hub for the '71 game (53 years ago today) is ever-expanding, so you can luxuriate in the build-up, the match day and all the fun of the aftermath...

23rd Oct 1971 Partick Thistle 4 Celtic 1 (League Cup Final) →

1971-10-23-ga30b.jpg

I’d forgotten that we were down to ten men ( Glavin off injured) when we scored the fourth

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

That Kingsley top is an absolute shocker.

Also, I know we’re skint and that, but bringing out five kits (four from the club plus the TJF one) in the one season is a bit of a piss take. 

It does seem like the sort of thing that a lot of clubs would get (rightly) pulled up for, but because it's wee Partick Thistle and Kingsley's on it, it's fine.