The Partick Thistle thread

Got a feeling jimwhite might not be an Erskine fan. Just a wee feeling.

Started one season well. But just so one paced and unfit. Maybe difficult to take with being used to having pacey wingers for a while. Might do job for you guys. Was just giving an honest opinion that he isn't fit as a previous poster hoped for

Some good heads gone from the Dev squad tonight by the looks of it, 2 reds in the last 5 minutes including a straight red for Scully for foul and abusive language. Hopefully SLJ can fill us in on what went on.

It was certainly one of the more fiery endings to a Development League game that I have seen, and I was there on Gary Fraser day.

For the first 83 minutes, Thistle did well. As everyone will know eight of the under 20s/apprentices are away in Turkey with the Weir Academy sunning it up at some DaVinci EU thing, playing Turkish and Norweign opponents, as well as training along some other mainland European sides(CSKA Sofia I believe were mentioned). This meant there was a first Development League start for Paul Smith who played in a "number 10" position, as well as a rarity of seeing twins lining up for Thistle. Ian Stokes(right back) and James Stokes(left winger). James Stokes had a smashing game, particularly second half, when he had the Hamilton Accies number 2, Ben Reilly, on toast. After Reilly hauled down our jinky winger for the third time, he received a merited yellow card. He then continued to foul on a further four occasions, but no second yellow card was coming. It didn't stop the winger from having a go at his man and continuing to cause all sorts of bother. As to be expected, however, the final ball was a little lacking but the key skills are all there. In fact, all the Under 17s players performed well and weren't shy of taking the ball under pressure and trying to play it out.

Edin Lynch, the man who made me realise I'll never break through into any Thistle side having been born in August 2000, played well again at centre half and has now matched up well against the challenges of Kris Boyd and Carlton Morris in his Dev League starts.

So anyway, as I was saying, on the 83rd minute a scooped ball found Ryan Tierney inside the box. He angled a shot past Ryan Scully, that may well have been going wide, but Michael McMullin was covering in any case. He, somehow, managed to get his feet tangled up and completely miscued his clearance and the ball bounced a couple of yards away from him. As he regained his balance, he was stumbling backwards, he advanced to clear the ball properly. Ryan Scully took charge of the situation and picked the ball up, prompting the referee to give an indirect free kick seven yards from goal. I could understand it being given if McMullin had deliberately flicked the ball up to Scully, but the fact the young central defender had completely scuffed his clearance made me astonished that the referee gave it. There were no Accies appeals, which are usually the case regarding passbacks, so that tells a story of it's own.

McMullin kept contesting the decision and picked up a yellow card for dissent. Accies dispatched the free kick home and as they walked back to the half way line Ryan Scully was sent off for foul and abusive language. That he got sent off for what he said surprised me a lot. You hear a lot worse go without any sort of retribution at games all over the country.

Michael McMullin was sent off deep into injury time for a clumsy late challenge on Mandiangu and there could really be no complaints about that in my opinion. It's just a little frustrating that Reilly escaped a second yellow for so long earlier in the game.

If the club appeals Scully's red card then I doubt it will be successful as it will be very hard to overturn a "foul and abusive language" red card unless the referee, David Dickinson, admits that he made a complete and utter mess of the whole situation and backs down from it as a damage limitation exercise. As this is Ryan's second red card of the season he'll miss two SPFL Premiership games(as he has played more football at that level than Development League). Logic would dictate that it will be Dundee United and Motherwell that he'll miss but Liam Lindsay's two match suspension was for "1 match immediate and 1 match 14 days after his second red" so who knows.

TL:DR - The referee gave a pass back for a scuffed clearance and an old guy in the stand called him a "fucking c**t" as he left the pitch.

^^^ worse than what Ryan Scully said.

Not overly impressed by Mandron potentially signing. I thought that was a bit of a laugh when posters where discussing it early in the season. His stats look rotten. For a forward he has barely scored a goal during his loans in the English lower leagues.

I am sure we are all hoping that Archie will have something better than this youngster up his sleeve.

Mandron's record does looks shite but Craig Curran is doing well at County after coming from a shite spell in English conference.

I'll give Mandron or any other imaginary signing the benefit of the doubt.

Mandron is 1 that could really go surprisingly well or very bad. If it's true he must have something to him that archies seen (possibly similar to Taylor I'm a way) I really do think now that Pogba was a sort of last resort signing after missing out on a good few strikers. Guys never bloody fit.

Did any 1 see the 3 players we are apparently after in the sun? Rumours that look as if they are directly lifted from fan forums.

i think they are direct from the forums mate.

When fleet wood town managed by Presley were putting McManus out on loan I half expected him to end up with us because of elvish friendship with Archie and particularly as he fits the big type of striker role that we signed Taylor and Pogba for in Taylor's case successful but not in pogbas case. For whatever reason though he went to Morton

i think they are direct from the forums mate.

When fleet wood town managed by Presley were putting McManus out on loan I half expected him to end up with us because of elvish friendship with Archie and particularly as he fits the big type of striker role that we signed Taylor and Pogba for in Taylor's case successful but not in pogbas case. For whatever reason though he went to Morton

It's because he's shite. HTH.

is he worse than Pogba? To be honest I know Aberdeen offered him a new deal in the summer which he turned down but I didn't seem them making any offer for Pogba or Mandron so doubt he is any worse

Yes, he's worse than Pogba. Look at his record in anything that's not the Scottish League 1.

Wasn't that J**ves's job back in the day?

He was Blackburn Rovers Reserves captain

Sorry that was Jeebs.

No I'm pretty sure although they were in the same team it was Ross who was the captain

Edited by dave.j