West Ham leave Upton Road

Good take from The Guardian.  Sad to see a community club up sticks.  I passed my driving test in East Ham and lived in both Old Ford and Hoxton for a while.  I've also had pie and mash (and liquor but no eels) in the featured caff:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2016/may/05/boleyn-ground-upton-park-west-ham-united-video

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it only in the last few weeks that pundits are finally calling it by its correct name. I always understood that Upton Park was the name of the area but the ground was The Boleyn Ground.

Some London journo on the radio at the weekend was saying non-West Ham fans were buying the cheaper ones as you only need to go to 2 or 3 games a season to justify it. Fans of other London Prem clubs were buying them as they're guaranteed a ticket for their teams match, something that wouldn't be guaranteed through their own clubs away restrictions.

He also said that West Ham had got rid of virtually all of their admin staff, some who have worked there all their lives, as the new stadium is staffed as part of the deal. I Googled this but couldn't see anything about it so don't know if it's true or not. Pretty cynical if it is.

Roll up for the Boleyn sell-off!

From goalposts to dugout seats

West Ham will auction trophies, photographs and shirts - with proceeds invested in the club's youth academy.

Caps, programmes, pennants, a small turnstile, an exercise bike from the home dressing room, a physio treatment table and flight case are also on offer.

Other lots include a mobile programme seller's stand, training mannequin, and the fax machine used by managers before current boss Slaven Bilic.

Some of the more unusual items listed for sale, with suggested starting bids (they may sell for more), are:

• Set of entrance gates, renamed John Lyall Gates in 2009 after former manager - £5,000
  • Matchday goalposts with net - £500
  • Manager's three-drawer desk, complete with office chair and phone - £50
  • 'Reserved for chairman' car park sign - £50
  • Cow bell gift from pre-season friendly v Bayern Munich - £50
  • Tracksuit believed to have been worn by Trevor Brooking before 1980 FA Cup final victory - £300
  • Manager's dugout seat, complete with heated element - £100
  • Bubble machine used to accompany club anthem 'Forever Blowing Bubbles - £20
  • 'Sorry position closed' ticket office sign - £20

Why is it only in the last few weeks that pundits are finally calling it by its correct name. I always understood that Upton Park was the name of the area but the ground was The Boleyn Ground.

It is. Similar situation to Celtic Park which is in Parkhead, St Mirren Park which was on Love Street, and so on.

Conversely of course Easter Road Stadium isn't actually on Easter Road.

Roll up for the Boleyn sell-off!

From goalposts to dugout seats

West Ham will auction trophies, photographs and shirts - with proceeds invested in the club's youth academy.

Caps, programmes, pennants, a small turnstile, an exercise bike from the home dressing room, a physio treatment table and flight case are also on offer.

Other lots include a mobile programme seller's stand, training mannequin, and the fax machine used by managers before current boss Slaven Bilic.

Some of the more unusual items listed for sale, with suggested starting bids (they may sell for more), are:

• Set of entrance gates, renamed John Lyall Gates in 2009 after former manager - £5,000
  • Matchday goalposts with net - £500
  • Manager's three-drawer desk, complete with office chair and phone - £50
  • 'Reserved for chairman' car park sign - £50
  • Cow bell gift from pre-season friendly v Bayern Munich - £50
  • Tracksuit believed to have been worn by Trevor Brooking before 1980 FA Cup final victory - £300
  • Manager's dugout seat, complete with heated element - £100
  • Bubble machine used to accompany club anthem 'Forever Blowing Bubbles - £20
  • 'Sorry position closed' ticket office sign - £20

A bit of the club's history for sale there. I take it Rangers International will try to buy it to add to their collection.

I grew up surrounded by West Ham fans, and everyone always called it Upton Park. It's a very recent thing that I've heard anyone call it the Boleyn Ground.

The revenue from 50k+ season tickets (plus more food and drink profits) will enable West Ham to invest heavily in the window. The EPL should be even more competitive next season. 

Well that and the small matter of Sky TV dosh. Every club in the league can invest heavily now. 

James Corden was interviewed on the radio this morning, talking about how emotional he was about the final game at Upton Park.

Praying for a 6-1 Man Utd win.

I've probably been to more games at Upton Park than that insufferable, unfunny c**t.

I'll be sad to see the back of the place. Many happy memories from going there. Couldn't get a sniff of a ticket for any of the home games this season.

The London based media is full of West Ham supporters. Twitter isn't though so you get the truth there...

@TeleFootball @adrian_warner @oliverbrown_tel God. Sick of reading W Ham leaving. It's a minor London club, rest of the country don't care.

@TeleFootball @oliverbrown_tel mad how they only just moved from Upton Park to the Boleyn Ground this season, now they're moving again!

Archived