CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Soms people will laugh at this but here goes , I personally find Gibson like McColm, Talent in there somewhere but severley lacks self confidence and heart which the last two obv can't be coached.....

Thinking back a few seasons mccolms crossing and pace was equal with anyone weve had (Carrigan 1st season exception) but just didnt do anywhere enough and stranraer director i know through my day time job said same when Duffy signed him...

Gibson himself is a decent sized lad and on his day has saved us a few times esp montrose away last season, Talent defo there somewhere but does cause panic in the stands and no doubt team-mates, Really Up to him before manager decides his fate.

Soms people will laugh at this but here goes , I personally find Gibson like McColm, Talent in there somewhere but severley lacks self confidence and heart which the last two can't be coached.....

Gibsob is a decent sized lad and on his day has saved us a few times esp montrose away last season, Talent defo there somewhere but does cause panic in the stands and no doubt team-mates...

Up to him

Your right for his size he is weak but even his handling today was not convincing he has had some good games but for me he is an accident waiting to happen

Went into the game just looking for the team to give it a go & see how we compare against an SPL side. Come the end of the game though i was leaving pretty gutted & annoyed. Not because we were poor but because we more than matched them & could have won today. So thats big positive.

I've said for a while now that the league is our main priority and with the way the team have continued to improve each week i'm really looking forward to the league campaign kicking off. Team played well & are gelling more every time they get on the park so this run of games in next 10 days will only benefit us. Not to mention we have some big players to come back into contention before September.

Next time you hit a penalty Linton, just welly it ;)

We tend to flatter in these early cup games. Barry's first season against Ayr united and then last year against Livingston. I've learned to wait until the season is more developed before getting too excited.
In saying that, i thought we were great today against a team 3 leagues above. All the players impressed except Gibson who fumbled a few times.

Soms people will laugh at this but here goes , I personally find Gibson like McColm, Talent in there somewhere but severley lacks self confidence and heart which the last two obv can't be coached.....

Thinking back a few seasons mccolms crossing and pace was equal with anyone weve had (Carrigan 1st season exception) but just didnt do anywhere enough and stranraer director i know through my day time job said same when Duffy signed him...

Gibson himself is a decent sized lad and on his day has saved us a few times esp montrose away last season, Talent defo there somewhere but does cause panic in the stands and no doubt team-mates, Really Up to him before manager decides his fate.

I think he's a good shop stopper but too much of a calamity

I agree with haufdaft we should be at least a little wary due to previous good cup displays. However, we did very play well with the ball yesterday.

I wouldn't single out Gibson though. I thought defensively we were very poor though, especially from crosses. The number of free headers Kilmarnock had (or could have had with better strikers) was quite scary. For a game we should have won, we easily could have conceded at least 4 goals.

I'm also not convinced by the shape Ferguson is going for yet. It will take a good manager 5 minutes to see that the huge gaps either side of Scott McLaughlin. If the opposition play 2 or 3 players in between midfield and defence we will seriously struggle to cope.

Excellent performance,especially from Johnstone at right back.Flynn and Easton need to talk to one and other as they both seem to look for the same ball but when they gel we can look forward to some high class movement. Where we are better than last season is at full back and midfield where we have pace and the players brought in seem to have raised McLaughlin's game, I thought he was excellent yesterday.I worry a wee bit about Linton,I thought he dipped towards the end of last season and still looks a bit rusty.However it is early days and there are definitely signs of progress.

Unfair criticism of Gibson IMO. I'm not his greatest fan, but I thought he did ok yesterday, and I think he improved towards the end of last season.

My concern is at left-back, where Lowden is excellent going forward, but got caught out defensively a few times.

Overall, I was very impresssed yesterday, as we more than matched a team 3 divisions above us, with the exception of 15-20 mins after the penalty miss.

As for the ref - :lol::thumbsdown.

Unfair criticism of Gibson IMO. I'm not his greatest fan, but I thought he did ok yesterday, and I think he improved towards the end of last season.

My concern is at left-back, where Lowden is excellent going forward, but got caught out defensively a few times.

Overall, I was very impresssed yesterday, as we more than matched a team 3 divisions above us, with the exception of 15-20 mins after the penalty miss.

As for the ref - :lol::thumbsdown.

Well comeback in a couple of months and see how Gibson has performed he improved towards the end of the season ? Depends where Base line for improvement started
As I said earlier money had to be spent elsewhere to improve the team
Unfortunately we are stuck with him for the time being
The team looked good yesterday and if we can keep.playing like that then should be good to watch and will.be right up there come May

42 minutes ago, T-zero said:

Is Barry fergusons son any good? Just seen he has signed for you.

Based on some brief appearances at the end of friendlies, no, he's not good enough for League Two.

However, you can't really judge people from a few minutes in friendly games, he's only 17 and our squad is too small as it is so, I'll reserve judgement for now.

Edited by Jaggy Snake