CLYDE FC season 16/17 Thread

Just read the article, have to say its probably 100% true that he was highly professional, did all the right things, worked incredibly hard, treated players like full time pros and attracted decent names; Linton, Easton etc, etc, etc (along with absolute garbage too, like most managers). However the bottom line is that unfortunately, the important part of his job was to set up his team on match day / evening, change tactics throughout a match or when needed and to get players to perform at the top of there ability nearly every week. He can't do that ie cant do what he is ultimately paid to do!

Shame I would have loved him to be able to so, really would, but no he cannot...that is the problem with Barry Ferguson he is not able to manage a football team to get required results.      

Just read the article, have to say its probably 100% true that he was highly professional, did all the right things, worked incredibly hard, treated players like full time pros and attracted decent names; Linton, Easton etc, etc, etc (along with absolute garbage too, like most managers). However the bottom line is that unfortunately, the important part of his job was to set up his team on match day / evening, change tactics throughout a match or when needed and to get players to perform at the top of there ability nearly every week. He can't do that ie cant do what he is ultimately paid to do!
Shame I would have loved him to be able to so, really would, but no he cannot...that is the problem with Barry Ferguson he is not able to manage a football team to get required results.      

Things I wont criticise Ferguson for are the effort and work that he put in.
I also do not doubt his professionalism (as opposed to his players).

Unfortunately for him and us, the fans, he didn't seem to have the skills to improve players that came to Clyde or to change things on the park when they started to go awry.

Unlike some other ex Clyde managers who seemed to have contempt for the fans and club, I only have regret that it didn't work out for him.

21 hours ago, Elementary Penguin said:

I was pre-warned you were making an appearance tonight.

Now presh, I know that is 100% untrue, unless you have me mistaken

for some other poster, or maybe  you had some divine intervention.

As for the remainder of your diatribe, that is just lost on me and possibly many others I reckon.

But honestly, sweet cheeks, that is some amount of poison you are carrying around, waiting to

offload, life is far too short presh, but then again, it must be true what they say, hell hath no fury

like a woman scorned.

Edited by STTOF

JP quote from the official site

"We don't believe that we should be where we are in the table but it's time to go out and prove it now, there's no point in just keeping on saying it."

He's correct in saying there is no point in just saying it.

Having watched our performances in the last dozen or so league games, we are exactly where we deserve to be in the league table.

JP quote from the official site

"We don't believe that we should be where we are in the table but it's time to go out and prove it now, there's no point in just keeping on saying it."

He's correct in saying there is no point in just saying it.

Having watched our performances in the last dozen or so league games, we are exactly where we deserve to be in the league table.

They have won 1 game in 17 exactly where do they believe they should be ?

Usual crap he would be better saying nothing or maybe he just like one of the deluded souls who run the club ?

Is Scott Linton injured or has he become one of los desaparecidos? His absence in midfield is an understated reason for our woefulness. And what's the script with Easton, Lowden and McGovern? Can we have some word on why they're not playing and/or how long away from recovery they are?

We continue to field players who - and sometimes just where - their aptitude is no greater than the ordinary Avon seller.

It's all the same, only the names have changed... ♫

But, as we all know, he's played several times since then. The OS has been tenaciously poor in keeping us appraised of expected recovery times. The custom ought to be that a line appears in each match preview, even if it's repetitious ('Scott Linton is still injured'; 'Not back for X weeks').

Do you guys think Gourlay has been brought in with a view to replacing Gibson in the starting 11?

Both of the guys are rated highly at the club. Waddell, in particular, has always looked beyond his years so interested to see how they get on.

Do you guys think Gourlay has been brought in with a view to replacing Gibson in the starting 11?
Both of the guys are rated highly at the club. Waddell, in particular, has always looked beyond his years so interested to see how they get on.

Hopefully it doesn't damage them irreparably. Throwing a couple of 18 year olds into the shit show that is our defence will be tough on them. On the bright side, they can only be an improvement surely!

It's a bit of a tall order for two young guys to come into a team that is rock bottom and lift the whole place

But might just what we need enthusiasm and a desire to succeed

That said if Quinn isn't fit would stick both straight into team Saturday

Good to hear they are both well thought of at Dundee

Having watched both players frequently over the past couple of years I can confidently say Clyde are getting two quality players. I think Gourlay has the potential to be an internationalist in the future and Waddell has consistently been our top performer in the Under 20 team. Goes to meet every ball and can head the ball further than most people can kick it.

Will certainly try to get to a couple of Clyde games before the season's end to cheer these guys on.

9 minutes ago, Elementary Penguin said:

Refreshing to hear an honest, first-hand account for a change.

Part of the problem when things go to shit, is the amount of pan-handling apologists who've come well out in force to tell us how upset the team are, how hard they try etc based on self interest bullshit from their insider pals. Objective opinion always comes first in my book. 

Did Gibson ever actually look like a keeper at all with a future at Dens? I see he played a handful of games over four/five years, seems a long time to hang around, even for a younger player (at the time)...

I thought Gibson was going to turn out very well. He seemed like he had all the attributes to do quite well and looked quite solid.

He was signed at around 20 years old and sent to Elgin for a season and their fans seemed to really like him (that was my memory anyway). He got a couple of other loans and we were all pretty happy with the feedback he was getting and pretty pleased when he was give the opportunity in his last season to be second choice and thought he might stake his claim.

He made an incredible save at Raith which may have been the difference in taking us to the title but he still never got the opportunity so we kind of expected that he'd have to move on for the sake of his career.

Don't know what's happened there but when I did get to see him at Alloa after he left us, I come to the realisation that he wasn't as good as I thought and seemed very glued to his line and didn't command things very well. Still thought he was a decent enough stopper and would be more than capable at senior football considering his loan spells all working out though.