Offensive Behaviour at Football Act cave in.

Glenconner

2 hours ago, Jmothecat2 said:

Is society blighted by sectarianism? In my experience other than old firm fans it's non-existent in most of Scotland.

I’d say the majority of what passes for Old Firm bigotry is pretty much standard football rivalry but expressed through a proxy(religion/politics) for nothing more than the wind up factor. Not that it excuses it.

2 hours ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Says the guy who has his nationality in his username.  A Scottish nationalist is simply someone who believes Scotland should be an independent country.  An entirely valid viewpoint which I would defend in any setting.

If you can find one post from me demonstrating the ugly kind of nationalism you claim I espouse I will resign from this forum today.  You're full of shit.  I'm on the tartan army forum touting an Englishman as Scotland manager ffs.  Nationalist my arse.

You presumed to tell a mixed race guy in London that the police were being perfectly rational and efficient by regularly stopping and searching him because of his skin colour. By the way, I'm Scottish and a paid up member of the SNP, I was living in Wales when I joined the forum.

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

You presumed to tell a mixed race guy in London that the police were being perfectly rational and efficient by regularly stopping and searching him because of his skin colour. By the way, I'm Scottish and a paid up member of the SNP, I was living in Wales when I joined the forum.

No I didn't.  You're a fkn liar.  I said nothing of the sort.  When you want to discuss things like an adult get back to me.

I’d say the majority of what passes for Old Firm bigotry is pretty much standard football rivalry but expressed through a proxy(religion/politics) for nothing more than the wind up factor. Not that it excuses it.
I'm not sure about this. In my experience the anti Catholic bit can run quite deep.

Certain elements of my wife's family fall into this category.

So you don't disagree with any of my points then?

Have you ever actually been to a Catholic school or do you have close friends/family who have?

I never said at all that they caused them. I said if it even exists to any significant degree then the logical place to address it would be in schooling. And that if it does exist to any logical degree then segregated schooling would exacerbate it.

I was not pals with anyone who went to a RC school as I rarely encountered them as my friends were for my local area (where Catholics were almost non existent), my non denom school and airdrie games.

However my ex missus was a teacher in an RC school for a number of Years.

I never said at all that they caused them. I said if it even exists to any significant degree then the logical place to address it would be in schooling. And that if it does exist to any logical degree then segregated schooling would exacerbate it.

I was not pals with anyone who went to a RC school as I rarely encountered them as my friends were for my local area (where Catholics were almost non existent), my non denom school and airdrie games.

However my ex missus was a teacher in an RC school for a number of Years.

I was on placement in an RC school and there was plenty of proddy teachers and students and plenty of Muslim students. While the RE was blatant indoctrination your denomination didn’t affect either your employment to the school or upwards within it.

I was on placement in an RC school and there was plenty of proddy teachers and students and plenty of Muslim students. While the RE was blatant indoctrination your denomination didn’t affect either your employment to the school or upwards within it.

It didn’t affect your promotion? I find that very difficult to believe. How did you manage to establish the religious persuasion of so many people in such a short space of time? How many non RC guidance teachers were there?

To teach in an RC primary school you need to be in receipt of a certificate of approval from the local diocese. I would hazard a guess that you could probably count on your fingers and toes how many non RCs are ever granted one of those in Scotland...

It didn’t affect your promotion? I find that very difficult to believe. How did you manage to establish the religious persuasion of so many people in such a short space of time? How many non RC guidance teachers were there?

To teach in an RC primary school you need to be in receipt of a certificate of approval from the local diocese. I would hazard a guess that you could probably count on your fingers and toes how many non RCs are ever granted one of those in Scotland...

Well I mean it didn’t affect MY promotion cause I flunked out from being more concerned with taking pills and pissing about but I was raised Catholic. There were plenty of teachers in the school who were ostensibly protestant that were either teaching or were leading a department. Out with the RE department* which is admittedly decades behind the modern Catholic school set up in my experience is pretty much normal.

*I’m only slagging the RE dept because I had to sit and listen to a fucking Franciscan friar who would’ve been drumming for some shit metal band drone on about his “community” for an hour and a half.

I learned to teach in south west London and I couldn't believe the volume of denominational schools; all girl, all boy, all girl Catholic, all boy Catholic, etc.
I worked and trained in a Catholic all-boys school...among the students I barely caught a whiff of sectarianism or bigotry (maybe misogyny though but that's another thing).
At Governance level though? Had to be Roman Catholic to be Head.

Who is this James Dornan? Never heard of him before but he’s having some week.

After showing midweek he literally has no understanding of the Act, he’s mouthing off on Twitter today about Rangers fans singing the Billy Boys today, and how the repeal has rendered the authorities useless...

... the Act is still law.

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

Who is this James Dornan? Never heard of him before but he’s having some week.

After showing midweek he literally has no understanding of the Act, he’s mouthing off on Twitter today about Rangers fans singing the Billy Boys today, and how the repeal has rendered the authorities useless...

... the Act is still law.

Yeah and they've sung it constantly throughout its time since being implemented.  Absolute muppet of a guy, making a serious contender for the title of the party idiot of the SNP. Some achievement when you consider John Mason is a colleague. 

On 1/27/2018 at 18:50, pandarilla said:

I'm not sure about this. In my experience the anti Catholic bit can run quite deep.

Certain elements of my wife's family fall into this category.

It’s possible but in my experience that’s not the case. Certainly as far as football matches go I have heard worse at games between St Mirren and Morton or Kilbirnie and Beith but as they don’t mention religion it isn’t really considered an issue. I am far from saying that there is no issue with sectarianism in the Scottish game, i just think the issue is generally discussed in a very lazy fashion.

On 27/01/2018 at 17:25, Peppino Impastato said:

The old firm are the biggest contributory factor to Scotland's sectarianism problem these days, every other section of society has moved on then they drag us all back 300 years every weekend.  Which is what obfa was an attempt to tackle.  It should have been ammended not repealed, the unionists have no interest in tackling sectarianism they are embracing, culturing, nurturing and encouraging it as a divide and rule technique to prevent independence.  

Can't agree with that at all. Its no coincidence that the more extreme Celtic supporting IRA republican types have thrown their weight behind the SNP and Nationalism. 

The SNP targeted that vote away from Labour and now fully have it seems. All very depressing

Can't agree with that at all. Its no coincidence that the more extreme Celtic supporting IRA republican types have thrown their weight behind the SNP and Nationalism. 
The SNP targeted that vote away from Labour and now fully have it seems. All very depressing

Yes the green brigade have truly gotten right behind the SNP haven’t they, I mean the near constant abuse and the incredibly cringey banners deriding the SNP just shows how behind them they are.
Scottish Nationalism and the nationalism of the bigoted Republicans etc is entirely different.
Its almost as if reading your last post that you live in a cave with no incoming information and have just typed what you think is happening.

Quite possibly the stupidest thing i’ve ever read, I award you no points and may god have mercy on your soul.

7 hours ago, edinabear said:

That's genuinely mental. Get a hold of yourself for f**k's sakes :lol: