Offensive Behaviour at Football Act cave in.

Glenconner

As mentioned earlier, StandFree nailed it in another thread. The guy has pretty bad personal problems and really needs the site. It's not very nice to witness.

You really haven't the first clue. Your sad little passive aggressive vandetta on this site for years hasn't become any less pathetic with time.

ETA: forgot the sweary filter changes that in honour of Stuart Dickson. Those were truly happier times. With televisions in every room of the house and everything...

Edited by Ad Lib

I wouldn't say it was shite. Assaults, domestic abuse, stabbings etc go up pretty sharply after OF game

There are some fans that really hate each other; add booze and trouble erupts. This is a legacy issue, like the wee guy who walks with his dad in the orange walk wearing sevco tops.. or the lads in pubs before singing rebel songs

I'm not sure how much of this you can attribute to sectarian feelings vs general sports hate that's still going to exist between hardcore Rangers and Celtic fans in some future fantasy world where Scottish government legislation has eliminated sectarianism.

I live in a town with a major US college football team. Whenever we play a rival game, especially if it's at night, there's a huge increase in violent assaults. Even occasionally shootings and stabbings. That's just the culture of certain sports rivalries. I'm not sure that's going to change with the OF, even if legislation could eliminate religious bigotry.

I'm enjoying the Brit Nats sudden concern for 'OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES1!11' I'm sure they have been just as vocal during the imposition of far more intrusive legislation by New Labour and the Tories who you wish us to be governed by...where do you even start? Could it be, and hold onto your seats here, that this is just another case of SNPBAD?

As someone who sees the practical implication of this law in courts on a daily basis I must say there is some amount of shite being spouted on this thread and I'm only on page 20.

It is not particularly good law in my view. There is already a mechanism whereby offences such as assault and breach of the peace can have religious, racial or sexual aggravations attached to the end of the charge. Someone has suggested otherwise but even without this act there would be nothing at all stopping the police arresting someone singing a sectarian song for a section 38 breach of the peace with a religious aggravation in connection to a football match or completely independently of it.

I'm enjoying the Brit Nats sudden concern for 'OUR CIVIL LIBERTIES1!11' I'm sure they have been just as vocal during the imposition of far more intrusive legislation by New Labour and the Tories who you wish us to be governed by...where do you even start? Could it be, and hold onto your seats here, that this is just another case of SNPBAD?

As someone who sees the practical implication of this law in courts on a daily basis I must say there is some amount of shite being spouted on this thread and I'm only on page 20.

It is not particularly good law in my view. There is already a mechanism whereby offences such as assault and breach of the peace can have religious, racial or sexual aggravations attached to the end of the charge. Someone has suggested otherwise but even without this act there would be nothing at all stopping the police arresting someone singing a sectarian song for a section 38 breach of the peace with a religious aggravation in connection to a football match or completely independently of it.

Lib Dems have been very vocal about Labour and Tory civil liberties records tbf.

Re s38 I don't think it does follow that a charge of that kind would stick for all instances of singing sectarian songs. The mere act of singing it (whether or not at a football match) doesn't necessarily constitute threatening or abusive behaviour.

TheTheRangers don't like it therefore it's sectarian.  I am looking forward to the conclusive evidence of a bit of abbreviated graffiti on a wall in the Republic of Ireland (North) conclusively proving Tory's case*

*that he is an absolute throbber

They don't.

They don't go in for that sort of thing in Donegal.

So this thread, like so many, is now a Lib Dem candidate (Ad Lib) everyone hates alongside a horde of outraged anonymous union jack avatars, furiously arguing against anyone who dares to think slightly differently from them. In this case, it's anyone who thinks any Act designed to stop the OF sectarianism is an okay idea. A microcosm of the Scottish Parliament.

Edited by HaikuHibee

So this thread, like so many, is now a Lib Dem candidate (Ad Lib) everyone hates alongside a horde of outraged anonymous union jack avatars, furiously arguing against anyone who dares to think slightly differently from them. In this case, it's anyone who thinks any Act designed to stop the OF sectarianism is an okay idea. A microcosm of the Scottish Parliament.

You really do talk some shite.

I'm amazed how the likes of yourself are so knowledgable about the historical concerns and opinions of posters on here....

Yeah Rule Brittania types like yourself are never done standing up for people's civil liberties. I bet you wrote a strongly worded letter to David Cameron about the new snooping laws and the existence of Guantanamo Bay probably keeps you awake at night 😂 thanks for playing anyway.

Lib Dems have been very vocal about Labour and Tory civil liberties records tbf.

Re s38 I don't think it does follow that a charge of that kind would stick for all instances of singing sectarian songs. The mere act of singing it (whether or not at a football match) doesn't necessarily constitute threatening or abusive behaviour.

In fairness to you Ad Lib, yes the Lib Dems have. Section 38 is pretty widely drafted as well and for many Sheriffs the threshold is very low. I'm struggling to think of a sectarian song which would not meet the 'threatening or abusive' element of the legislation.

In fairness to you Ad Lib, yes the Lib Dems have. Section 38 is pretty widely drafted as well and for many Sheriffs the threshold is very low. I'm struggling to think of a sectarian song which would not meet the 'threatening or abusive' element of the legislation.

Ad Lib has gone back to his youth of being a tory,he has been hanging around tomkins to long ;)

I'm struggling to see how the singing of either the Billy Boys or The Sash, for example, would meet an objective standard of being threatening or abusive. Obviously very offensive songs, both of which glorify pretty horrible historic acts of violence, but they're not as such threatening or abusive. Clearly if you were to take the conduct of a crowd singing it in the round it *might* do, but if they meet the test of either threatening or of abusive then so does "the referee's a w****r" and "sit down shut up".

Billy Boys- abusive because of the sectarian add on 'up to our knees'. The sash, ive never known anyone to be arrested for it.

That isn't abusive. That's offensive, and it glorifies abuse. But it isn't abusive.