Celtic Summer Activity thread

11 hours ago, hellbhoy said:

Yeah, they left the club with no ambition themselves with the clubs they ended up with. Money talks, I have heard players say they wanted to leave because they wanted a better challenge, to play in a better league, to further their careers and most daunting of all?, to win trophies elsewhere??? Non of the players who left us have went to what we deem as the big clubs in the game as a whole.

As I said these are my thoughts, there is no bigger challenge or bigger stage to play on in Europe than the Champions League full stop. To be part of a squad and be able to compete in the CL is the biggest exposure a player can get if they really have ambition and Celtic do offer that incentive.

Where we are in the food chain is wholesale supply to the English leagues and players know it, shine in our league and there's a good chance some English club will offer many many times the wage they can earn up here. So it is mainly down to money imho. This is why I put forward in earlier posts we should be investing any CL money straight back into the squad to keep them happy and to keep the club progressing forward. None of this wait until their last year of their contract before negotiating for a contract extension. If the club reaches the group stages or further make the contract extension just after that season has ended, if the player knows he is going to be rewarded financially for his services then club loyalty is built and may not want to leave at all if the club is being successful and is giving him his due rewards. This is how a squad is built to last.

You're right we probably couldn't or can't afford Roberts and a loan deal is the best option. Bit of a pisser if you ask me because he isn't one of our permanent players.

Well, whilst money would certainly play a part in their decisions to move elsewhere, I don't think it can be put down to purely money motives.  You can't tell me that a player who deems guaranteed matches against Man Utd/Chelsea/Man City/Arsenal/Spurs/Liverpool more appealing over a chance to play against Barcelona/Milan/Munich lacks ambition.  Wanyama has just signed for Spurs, I'd certainly deem them a big club.  Personally, I think the days of players leaving Celtic to go to Man Utd are over, the more realistic movement now is sign for Southampton/West Brom, impress then win your move to one of the big six.

I'm not 100% but I am sure I read somewhere that English football has a wider audience than Champions League football.

We need to be realistic about how much we can offer.  I mean look back to when Henrik was playing.  He was the highest paid player in Scottish footballing history, on about 40K a week.  There seemed to be more money getting thrown around Scottish football and don't forget paying wages like that was how our debts started to rise.  Around about the same time Rio Ferdinand signed a new deal at Man Utd, about 100K a week, and if memory serves me the only other players in British football who matched that were Roy Keane and Stevie Gerrard.  Whilst there has always been a financial gap between both nations it's nothing like it is nowadays.  Squad players in England can realistically make three times as much as our highest paid player.  Now even if we were to pay higher wages, we cannot match the English clubs and if you think it is mainly down to money, then you can't blame guys for leaving.

Aye Roberts will be a player.  I am not sure if he'll get his chance at Man City, but can certainly see him becoming an established Premier League player.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leaving Celtic to go to the EPL is a total no brainer of a move. Absolute delusion to try and argue against this. Do you have no fucking idea how miniscule your club is in the scheme is? You're probably the smallest big club in the world by some distance.

Just now, THE KING said:

Lol.the Barca goal was actually worse but, Ambrose why is this guy getting a game? Trying to skin kunts in his own box all the time honest tae fuk!

Efe has now fulfilled his life long ambition of scoring a goal for Barcelona, the cnut. :angry::lol:

Pumping coming up. :bairn Effing Ambrose posted missing in action ffs. Can't Brenda see the cnut is a complete liability and putting on a static pole would be more useful?, even an injured defender would be an improvement.

4 minutes ago, gannonball said:

As funny as it was to get it up the sevocians, I don't know why we signed him. A good player but we have younger players in Henderson and McGregor who look better.

You should have stopped at "sevconians", that was all it was. :lol:

Anyone else pissed off about this Scott Allan deal with Rotherham? A season long loan with the option to buy at the end of it. What a waste of a great talent, it was already quite clear that he was bought to bam up Rangers but this is poor.

Anyone else pissed off about this Scott Allan deal with Rotherham? A season long loan with the option to buy at the end of it. What a waste of a great talent, it was already quite clear that he was bought to bam up Rangers but this is poor.

He's not that good.

3 hours ago, 11thHour said:

The seethe from the Sevcononian horde about Allan being snatched from them because we could afford it was worth the money.

On another note why buy a fecking player and then punt them on?, seems to be Celtic's worst habit and is a complete waste of money. We should be targeting players idealistically for the first team or for development for the first team.

Archived