Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

He has certainly steadied the ship and made us easier on the eye than we were under Baraclough and latterly under McCall. 

We're still a mediocre side though and making the same basic errors at the back as we've done now for the last four or five years so McGhee has done a decent job in the sense that we were almost certainly heading for at least another playoff by the time Baraclough left this time last year, but we had an absolutely woeful spell last season at the turn of the year where McGhee didn't cover himself in glory with some of his selections and behaviours and I'm not too impressed with his summer transfer dealings. And don't even get me started on his approach to the last two games at Parkhead.

He absolutely needs to oversee a good Motherwell Scottish Cup run this season, and by good I mean Quarter Finals minimum.

I'm intrigued, which of his transfer dealings this summer have you not been impressed by?

Heneghan and McHugh(if we ever get him fit again) both look like excellent additions to me. Tait, Clay and to a lesser extent Bowman have all showed so far they have something to contribute at this level. Brill we also know is a solid keeper at this level from his days with ICT.

Only question marks for me really are over Blyth, Lucas and Belic. We haven't seen much of any of them, or anything in Belic's case, however we can punt Belic and Lucas for nothing in January if they do turn out to be utter guff so they're pretty low risk deals.

Edited by Casagolda

FWIW, don't think there's any chance of him 'moving upstairs' in a year or two. I think he'll be with us, probably until the end of next season anyway, unless he gets a shot at the Scotland job.

Has he not previously talked about aiming for 1000 games as a manager?

I'd give him a deal, no question.

He's ultimately the same manager that we had the first time around. He's still a bit of a p***k, he still makes mistakes and does daft things (See: Johnson up top against Thistle, Paul Quinn in front of the back four against Accies, signs Semih Aydilek, does f**k all in cups, chucks filthy looks at fans giving him shit), but also gives the impression that he actually gives a f**k, and since he's taken over, I've never really even considered relegation to be likely. 

At the moment, with the state the club is in financially and how things are changing, he's ideal, for me. He's steady, and there are times we'll play above that too. Longer term, that's what we need right now.

That said: If Aberdeen offer money for him again, let him go, just for the patter.

Edited by thisGRAEME

Assuming he's amenable to it, a contract extension for McGhee is a no-brainer to me. His worst season for us had us 7th and just missing out on the split - his other two seasons had us finishing higher than anyone expected (taking us from 10th to 3rd and then 11th to 5th) - so not really much to criticise in his end result even if you can quibble with his methods in individual games. His "media" personality doesn't matter a sook to me (I find him ok compared to Robbie Neilson's mono-syllables or Lee Clark's unhinged dribblings) and I have a suspicion that it actually works well in the dressing room and around the club in a way that a lot of managers never could.

His record stands up well with most other managers that we've had and none of our managers have been without flaws or their detractors in our support. Tommy McLean, who was by far the best manager in my time and a genuine club legend, got booed like f**k and loads of 'Well fans (and players :)hated him at the time but look what an utter w**k we got in to replace him. If the plan is for McGhee to take a more hands off DoF role in future and let a Craigan or Faddy or whoever be the first team manager, I'd be supportive of trying it.

Has anyone seen anything about Cadden's injury? I'd actually forgotten he went off injured vs Hearts until I saw he wasn't in the Scotland under 21 squad today. Just wondering how long he'll be out for.

Also there's chat on steelmen online that Thomas is going to Ayr on loan.

The emergency loan is still in the SPFL rulebook AFAIK

Spoiler

(link here, just search for emergency temporary transfer, but it's dated 1/1/15: http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootballleagueasat1january2015_1420461886.pdf)

• It has to be to a Champ, League 1 or League 2 club
  • For no less than 28 days, no more than 93.
  • It may comence/end outwith the usual registration window

I wasn't aware that Fifa "scrapped" the emergency loan window, but that article doesn't go into enough detail about it. The link in the spoiler is from Jan 15 so I dunno.

23 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

The emergency loan is still in the SPFL rulebook AFAIK

Hide contents

(link here, just search for emergency temporary transfer, but it's dated 1/1/15: http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootballleagueasat1january2015_1420461886.pdf)

• It has to be to a Champ, League 1 or League 2 club

• For no less than 28 days, no more than 93.

• It may comence/end outwith the usual registration window

I wasn't aware that Fifa "scrapped" the emergency loan window, but that article doesn't go into enough detail about it. The link in the spoiler is from Jan 15 so I dunno.

Yeah, the up to date rules dated Aug 4th 2016 are here and allows for "emergency" temporary transfers (pages 114-118) and those rules you've quoted still seem to hold.

http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__therulesofthescottishprofessionalfootballleagueasat4august2016_1471856539.pdf

There are a few articles about the "scrapping" of the rule but most of them (if not all) seem specific to the English leagues:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/why-scrapping-emergency-loan-window-bad-news-every-english-club

http://the72.co.uk/47108/enjoy-it-fifa-scraps-emergency-loans/

Edit: Annex 1. 55: states the term may commence/terminate outside a Registration Period. So yeah, it'd appear the rules still apply up here (below Premiership level)

Edited by capt_oats

He's on a two year deal. http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2016/07/05/mchugh-is-new-signing-number-five/

Agree it must be horrible, what's worse is I can't imagine there's any sort of rehab he can be doing. Just a case of sitting and waiting. You'd think there would be a psychological element too, even once fit you'd surely think twice about going in for a header again.

Yeah, it must be horrible for the player himself.  There's every chance his season could be over.  

How long was his contract for - was it only a year?

Two year deal. I remember thinking at the time that it was barely a foul by him but looking back he had no need to go into that challenge with as much force. It's a shame.

Anyone know if I'd be right in thinking he'd be limited in his physical preparation as well? I'd assume he isn't training just now, so even when he gets the green light from his head injury, he'll be long short of match fitness?