Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I concur that I don't think Jones was actually that bad.

I'd throw another of Malpas's efforts into the ring in Trevor Malloy. I remember listening to the radio when Malpas was asked about him and Malloy was described as a "trickster" with loads of creativity and he was just absolutely rank. No pace, never saw him beat a man, disaster.

Straker can't go a miss in this discussion. The aforementioned run and punt into row Z was hilarious but my favourite Tony moment was at Ibrox when Baraclough for some reason brought him on for Hammell with us 3-0 up and the 'Well section, most pissing themselves laughing, started a chant of "Straker's on, we're taking the piss".

Edited by Mr Hahn

40 minutes ago, Mr Hahn said:

I'd throw another of Malpas's efforts into the ring in Trevor Malloy. I remember listening to the radio when Malpas was asked about him and Malloy was described as a "trickster" with loads of creativity and he was just absolutely rank. No pace, never saw him beat a man, disaster.

I remember him at Airdrie in the cup, he spent the first half whistling like a dug whisperer looking for the ball. Odd.

17 minutes ago, thisGRAEME said:

It looks like three guys who've been given an unexpected tour.

Every time I see that picture, the same thought is in my head.

"THEY DON'T EVEN LOOK LIKE FOOTBALLERS.  WHAT THE f**k WERE YOU DOING, MAURICE!?"

24 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

IMG_1484578904.263872.jpg

Might as well just put this iconic trio in together if we've already named Molloy and Keegan.

I seem to remember Murphy was actually meant to be highly rated when he joined us.......

The other 2, not so much.

I remember the debut of Murphy.  New Year game against Rangers (pretty sure it was Le Guen's last game, just after Ferguson had took the huff and refused to play for him).  He came on at half-time, straight away won a header (remember he was 4ft 10") and went into a crunching tackle.  I thought we had something.

I thought he might have done well after McGhee took over, but he was obviously deemed surplus to requirements.  

Annoyed I didn't think to submit a question until after the fact but can the SFA just railroad this through or does it have to be voted on or require a majority consensus? From the way Flow was talking it sounds like Nelms is upset about the plans as Dundee are looking like they'll get shafted again. Thistle have invested in the the Thistle Weir academy and United already have an existing set up. It seems mental that clubs who are essentially being locked out would be in favour of this and go with it.

Like, thisGRAEME I'd be interested to have a look at the document since it genuinely seems to fail to stand up to any sort of scrutiny. I understand the whole 'Top Gun' best of the best-blah I can imagine Regan being easily sold on that tbh but if the teams in the elite group don't play their youth players just now then where's the guarantee they'll do it whether their youth academy has elite status or not? Is McInnes all of a sudden going to turn round and start playing his players from the 20s in his first team? Are the SFA going to force the sides whose academies are 'elite' to play X of their u20s and establish some sort of onus on them to adhere to a clear pathway?

Or are they genuinely talking about locking out a high number of the sides who do develop and play their 20s while establishing a number of those who don't as 'elite' but without any check and balances or requirements to ensure that they actually create a legitimate pathway to their first teams and claiming that's the future for Youth Development in Scotland?

If so, fucking hell, that is absolutely demented.

8 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

There really isn't enough being said about how bad an idea Project Brave is.

As someone who would put my loyalties to 'Well and the national team as a 90/10 split (and that's being generous), the idea that clubs like ours can have their business plan ripped up at the whim of an SFA committee, based on a flawed ranking system and a poorly thought out plan calling for an entirely arbitrary number of "elite" academies makes me fucking angry.

Add to that the fact that given the elite academies will be better resourced and will be casting their nets wider, we will probably find ourselves competing with SIX of the academies (Rangers, Celtic, Accies, Forth Valley, Hearts and Hibs) for players. The stupid, lopsided plan where huge swathes of the country (eg, Tayside, Fife & Ayrshire) are ignored in order to make sure that the usual suspects have funding channelled to them means that we really are stuck in a shite situation not of our making, despite trying to be a model club in terms of youth development. 

My view is that the having our clubs able to exist at their "natural" level in a sustainable way is vastly more important than the lofty goal of "producing better players for the national team". Any plan that sacrifices club stability on the altar of the Scotland team is not a plan worth pursuing. Has any sort of impact study been even carried out regarding clubs that will exist outside the top 8 structure? Alan Burrows' suggestion where there are set criteria for clubs to meet in order to access Elite status would seem infinitely more sensible, would result in a better geographic spread (you'd imagine that Utd, Dundee, Killie, St Johnstone would all be wanting to reach that status) and would stop clubs being locked out - time it was seriously considered.

Aberdeen are an interesting part of this all, really, as Burrows was saying, they're quite high up in the bizarre ranking system, because they have ten players out on loan, which is apparently good? Of those ten, how many seem likely to play consistently for either Aberdeen? Looking at it, Cammy Smith, seems to have made the most appearances (using the data here, feel free to highlight if I've done it wrong: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/cammy-smith/leistungsdatendetails/spieler/158938/plus/1?saison=&verein=370&liga=&wettbewerb=&pos=&trainer_id=) has him at 89 appearances for Aberdeen, at about 30 minutes a time. Given that guys like Shankland, Storie and Smith haven't exactly set the heather alight at any of their loan moves, are they going to kick on for Aberdeen? They're young, so perhaps they'll improve, but are they going to dislodge Rooney, Hayes, McGinn, Jack, Shinnie, or anyone else? McInnes brought in Storey, Stockley, Burns and Maddison in these players' positions, so he obviously doesn't trust them to kick on at the moment.

They're very much in a similar position to ourselves a couple of years ago, as they've got a good first team, which is presumably, quite expensive. Jack and Considine are the only 'youth products' consistently getting a game for them, but they're hardly 'young' any more. McInnes has no obvious desire to play youth, and why would he? He's challenging for second place, Europe and cup competitions. 

In addition, with the launch of their new-new stadium bid, there's bits and pieces in the paper with Reynolds saying they miss 500 hours of training a year: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/mark-reynolds-says-aberdeens-lack-9625065.

But they're in the tent. They're in the 'elite' group.  

For what it's worth as well, I don't blame Aberdeen for any of this in the slightest. I realise the above may come across like its having a go at them, but they just stuck out as an example. As highlighted, McInnes has different priorities, and that isn't a bad thing at all, but in this context, it seems strange they'd be included, and ourselves and Killie, for example, aren't. We keep our players and play them, and for that we suffer.

1 minute ago, Busta Nut said:

I will ask 'Flow if he can share it.

Would appreciate that, ta.

Really enjoyed the podcast about project fear from MFC, some top quality points being made and similar worries to our fans.

Luckily you have board members that will fight for your clubs right to youth football, i fear ours will accept its fate and let our system die off if not in the 'elite' 8.

Anyway, good effort lads, keep sticking up for the diddies of scottish fitba

Motherwell back-up goalkeeper Dean Brill could be set for a move to Colchester United. (Daily Express, print edition)

On the BBC gossip column this morning, think the Express were the ones that had the 'exclusive' over our initial interest in Brill so you'd imagine it's fairly accurate. 

Unlike the Record which apparently has us in for signing O'Halloran on loan from Rangers. I find that hard to believe considering we already have two very good options on the right wing and O'Halloran doesn't exactly strike me as the sort of player who'd be very comfortable on the opposite flank.

Edit- If Brill leaves I take it that means we'll be in the market for another keeper. Couldn't even tell you who the U20's keeper is now since Brett Long left. If I remember correctly though during McGhee's first spell did we not sign quite a few keepers on loan from down south to cover for Graeme Smith? Imagine we might go down that route again for cheap backup.

Edited by Casagolda