Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I see the Peterborough owner is suggesting we tried and apparently failed to sign Shaquile Coulthirst from them. Whilst there's no doubt that's a top quality name, it turns out the boy's yet another striker. 
So are we cutting our losses on Blyth and/or Bowman? Or are we potentially planning for the imminent departure of one of Moult or McDonald? 

I wasn't really sure how to take Barry Fry's comment tbh. “Mansfield also bid for Shaquile Coulthirst and we accepted that one, but Shaq wants to stay nearer his family in London. Motherwell also showed an interest, but he won’t go up there for the same reason."

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/transfer-news-premier-league-club-chase-leo-interest-in-forrester-offers-for-strikers-nabi-deal-collapses-2-5-million-bid-for-maddison-1-7771966

Does "showed an interest" simply mean we've enquired about his situation in a general sense or does it mean we were actively in for him and he kb'd us?

Not to judge but looking at his career thus far he's hardly been prolific unlike say Bowman who has at least scored a fair number of goals at the same level as Moult and he's not a target man in the same way Blyth is.

5 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I wasn't really sure how to take Barry Fry's comment tbh. “Mansfield also bid for Shaquile Coulthirst and we accepted that one, but Shaq wants to stay nearer his family in London. Motherwell also showed an interest, but he won’t go up there for the same reason."

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/posh/transfer-news-premier-league-club-chase-leo-interest-in-forrester-offers-for-strikers-nabi-deal-collapses-2-5-million-bid-for-maddison-1-7771966

Does "showed an interest" simply mean we've enquired about his situation in a general sense or does it mean we were actively in for him and he kb'd us?

Not to judge but looking at his career thus far he's hardly been prolific unlike say Bowman who has at least scored a fair number of goals at the same level as Moult and he's not a target man in the same way Blyth is.

I was talking about the chairman Darragh McAnthony, he responded to a 'Well fan on twitter asking if we'd tried to sign him by basically saying 'aye but it's no happening'.

I was talking about the chairman Darragh McAnthony, he responded to a 'Well fan on twitter asking if we'd tried to sign him by basically saying 'aye but it's no happening'.

Ah. Fair enough.There are a couple of his goals in this montage (once you get past all of Dele Alli's)

and he scores against West Brom here

Edit: Further to BigTamMuller's post it seems he's played a fair bit on the left wing, Westley made that point when he signed him for Peterborough so I'm guessing that's where he'd probably have been earmarked to fit in;

"Manager Graham Westley said: "I first saw Shaq when he was on-loan at Southend United and he played in a wide left role, but he had played a lot of his football at Tottenham as a number nine. I used to watch him every week when I was at Stevenage as Tottenham under 21s play their fixtures there and he had phenomenal pace off the shoulder, a great ability to get in behind and an eye for goal" http://mobile.theposh.com/news/article/coulthirst-2913771.aspx

Also worth mentioning he's contracted with them until 2019 and only signed with Peterborough a year ago.

So a pacey forward that can play outwide or through the middle, basically a replacement for Marv we seem to be looking for then. Team could certainly do with some more speed, at times we look very one paced and easy to defend against.

Wonder if this means if McGhee is looking to go back to his 'preferred' 433 formation. As the front three hasn't really worked since Johnson departed, despite McGhee's best efforts to shoehorn Bowman in there.

Edited by Casagolda

That's the club tweeting that Louis Laing's time at Notts County is officially over.

I'd imagine we'd be looking to ship him out but not sure where. If it was up to me I'd keep him. Thought he looked decent enough at right back when he played there towards the end of last season so would be useful back up in the event Tait were to get injured / suspended. In my opinion, he's also a better backup option than Kennedy at centre back.

not sure it the link was posted on here but McGhee was saying in the local press that he didn't expect Laing to be back and there were a couple of English clubs interested. I'm genuinely curious as to who's interested as by all accounts he had a bit of a nightmare at County.

http://www.motherwelltimes.co.uk/sport/football/motherwell-fc/mcghee-i-don-t-expect-louis-laing-to-return-1-4331993

As it goes I quite like Laing, or at least I like the idea of him i.e.: a ball playing centre half who can carry the ball out from the back, but at the same time with Kennedy also here (though I'd imagine he'll also be away in the summer), Ferguson having acquitted himself reasonably well and Barry Maguire having made the bench recently then there's more than enough cover for Heneghan and given you'd think Laing will be on a decent first team wage it's no real surprise we're trying to move him on.

It's notable that Laing had already dropped out the side long before McGhee arrived. The roasting he got against East Fife really seemed to mark his card.

He only made 1 start (vs Killie) in the 6 games from the East Fife cup game and McGhee's first game in charge against Celtic where he tried him as a holding mid. It's unfortunate it hasn't worked out for him as there probably is a decent player in there.

I also actually quite liked Laing. There was one game in particular where he played right back, can't put my finger on who it was against. Dundee at Fir Park I think. I thought he was really good and looked a very decent option there. Big, strong, could play with the ball.

Like has been said though, if he's on a decent first team wage and we've got interest and young boys ready to play that position, it makes little sense to hold him. Tait has been the best of our summer signings in my opinion so there's little chance of Laing overtaking him and paying a first team wage for backup isn't really going to cut it for us.

Link

Looks like we're trying to sign 26 year old Forrest Green winger Elliot Frear this week. Apparently we've had a few bids turned down already and the boy's refused to play this weekend to try and force it through.

Doing a Payet

He's scored 1 goal in 19 games for Forrest Green in the Conference this season.

Edited by Casagolda

35 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Link

Looks like we're trying to sign 26 year old Forrest Green winger Elliot Frear this week. Apparently we've had a few bids turned down already and the boy's refused to play this weekend to try and force it through.

Doing a Payet

When I saw "doing a Payet" I thought I was going to witness an unbelievable free kick but was left disappointed.

54 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Link

Doing a Payet

and 8 assists too apparently http://www.transfermarkt.com/elliott-frear/leistungsdaten/spieler/135111

I dunno I was quite happy for McLean and Hastie to get a chance on the wing. Although perhaps they'll go out on loan until the summer and Ainsworth will be offski.

Of those 3 only 1 is naturally left footed though. I'm all for MacLean and Hastie getting a chance but if nothing else you'd hope this would give us a bit more balance if it happens.

3 hours ago, maplewell said:

Quite interesting that actually cheers, so he's got into double figures for assists in each of the previous three seasons and has 8 already this season. So more of a provider really and to be fair it does usually look like he chips in with half a dozen or so goals a year as well.

Going by those stats(not sure entirely who accurate they really are) he's got 17 goals and 43 assists in the last 3 and a half seasons which is fairly decent going. At 26 he's a bit older than our usual Conference signings but we've been more hit than miss in that particular market so I guess you've just got to trust the judgement of those involved.

We've been desperately crying out for some pace and creativity this season so it's reassuring that McGhee looks like he's going to try and address that. 

Edited by Casagolda

Absolutely superb stuff from Alan Burrows on the MFC podcast this evening.

Beyond the 'Project Brave' stuff it was interesting to hear that there's been a decision made to try and get some of the best of the u20s who haven't broken into the 1st team out on loan in the next couple of weeks.

Also seems there are a few options for players coming in too. Focusing on the left side of the park.

Reassuring to hear positive stuff about the financial side of things that potentially through to the end of next season there's no gap and the club aren't in a position where they need to sell and that they seem to have the players on board in terms of understanding that the club won't stand in their way if good offers come in but equally they won't be mugged off.

All in all that was a hugely positive listen.

Haven't had the chance to dig into it, but that all sounds great.

Delighted we've clearly got plan a/b/presumably c for a left-sided option as well. Coulthirst wasn't having it, so we move on to the next one, and presumably, will get him in the next day or two.

Haven't had the chance to dig into it, but that all sounds great.
Delighted we've clearly got plan a/b/presumably c for a left-sided option as well. Coulthirst wasn't having it, so we move on to the next one, and presumably, will get him in the next day or two.

Aye. The only downer was the carve up that seems to be happening around the Project Brave thing but that's something that's essentially in the hands of idiots.

There seemed to be a suggestion that we might be looking at a left back as well. He was saying that McGhee had been looking at the "left side of the team" and pointed out that he'd been having to play naturally right sided players like McMillan, MacLean and Clay there.

Given the whole fan ownership shift and scaling back of the budget in the summer then hearing that this seems to have been a particularly successful year in terms of income is a positive and probably something that the club should be making sure they highlight to counter the "we don't have the fanbase to be fan owned" chat.