Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It was announced on Twitter a couple of hours ago and he's a keeper for the under 20s. Luke Watt away to east fife on loan was announced on the same tweet.

The keeper is a different guy from the Sheffield United guy. keeper is from Sunderland on loan and the Sheffield Utd guy is a midfielder I think, N.Ireland u19.

I'm pretty happy with our dealings now it's all done with. Keeping Moult (and to a lesser extent Skippy) is great news and should allow us to kick on for the rest of the season. Frear will finally give us a bit of balance on the left side and I suppose the two loanees fill some gaps in the squad.

Initially I wasn't fussed about Pearo coming back, but a midfield of him, McHugh and Lucas (in some combination) could be pretty potent if it clicks. I hope though that McGhee starts to give more game time to the likes of Alan Campbell and Jake Hastie - this season has proven that Lasley is done and we need new blood in the centre, with Pearo (and probably one of Clay and Lucas) only here until the summer it'll be interesting to see how the U20s are integrated into the main squad.

We've a not bad record of folk coming through recently - Cadden and Hall most notably - so hopefully our run can continue.

So that's Alan Burrows updating on Twitter. Rejected 2 offers for Moult (1 English, 1 overseas) and 1 for McDonald who's here til the summer at least.

Expects to bring in at least 1 free agent in the next couple of days, would assume that's Pearson.

All in all I'd say that's a pretty decent window for us. Retaining McDonald is huge IMO as he seems to bring the best out of Moult.

I'm very much enjoying this whole stance the club have these days of kb'ing bids for players.

Yes, Pearson is one - it's the 'at least' one that threw me - suggestion there is that there are others we are looking at too.

I'm not sure whether or not that may just have been a turn of phrase and not meant to imply anything. Having said that there was the suggestion from Scott Mullen at one point last night that we'd been hopeful of taking Ciftci on regardless of McDonald's position.

Who knows, that may just have been talk. In truth I'd rather McDonald saw out his deal than swap him for Ciftci last minute (when was the last time he started a competitive game etc?) though equally I'm quite encouraged that we were looking at him as an option. Made a pleasant change from National League players being mentioned.

Yeah, I found that a bit of a surprise - doesn't say much about the respective merits of Bowman and Blyth if we are looking to bring another body in, especially one who you'd assume would be further ahead of them in the running for a spot on the bench.

We could be on for a bit of a rebuilding job upfront in the summer - presumably Skippy and Moult will be off, as well as Blyth. Bowman is on a longer deal isn't he?

Yeah, I found that a bit of a surprise - doesn't say much about the respective merits of Bowman and Blyth if we are looking to bring another body in, especially one who you'd assume would be further ahead of them in the running for a spot on the bench.

We could be on for a bit of a rebuilding job upfront in the summer - presumably Skippy and Moult will be off, as well as Blyth. Bowman is on a longer deal isn't he?

Blyth is on a 2 year deal with an option of a third. I'd be amazed if he was still here next season though. Bowman, as others have said, looks like he's been brought in to replace Moult long term but in current form there's not a chance either McDonald or Moult would be dropped and I think McGhee's realised that shoehorning Bowman into the side doesn't work.

Depends on McDonald's appeal whether or not there's a couple of games for someone to get a chance I suppose.

Nadir Ciftci was an absolutely outrageous shout! :lol: 

Kudos to those in charge for getting the Scottish media to swallow that one. 

McDonald, Moult, Cadden, McHugh, Pearson, the pure sexualness of Richard Tait.  We'll have a good second half of the season, I have no doubt. 

Hopefully Moult is kind enough to sign an extension so we can get a decent fee in the summer. I watched McGhee's post-match last night in amusement as was talking about how he's 'amazed' Moult's still here and that he'd be a great addition to any Championship side looking for goals to get into the Premier League.

Say what you like about McGhee but he knows how to talk up a player, always grindin'.

15 minutes ago, steelmen said:

He can talk him up all he wants now, he's here until the summer.
Wonder who will get the bigger fee moult or cadden? Both have been outstanding lately

Oh absolutely. I just found it amusing that there had been barely a peep about Moult all window from McGhee as we clearly had no intention of selling and weren't actively looking to cash in then as soon as the window's shut he's straight out talking him up.

I've no problem with it, that's our business model and I'm totally on board with looking to get as much cash as possible for our "assets". I just really enjoyed how brazen it was.

Based purely on age and potential I'd probably say Cadden would go for a bigger fee all things being equal and assuming he keeps progressing. Moult is a tremendous goalscorer but he's not particularly physical and he's not particularly quick I could see that being marked against him when it comes to scouts at bigger clubs watching him, there's also an argument that Moult's a better player because of McDonald playing alongside him. Take McDonald away and I wonder if he'd be as effective. Either way he knows where the goal is though. No doubt.

24 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Say what you like about McGhee but he knows how to talk up a player, always grindin'.

Noticeable how much more we do that now. The build up to Johnson leaving was a solid 3 months of talking about how brilliant he was, may also play in our favour that he's hitting a bit of form in Oxford now as well.

It's going to be shite when he goes, but lets get the money.

44 minutes ago, Desp said:

Nadir Ciftci was an absolutely outrageous shout! :lol: 

Kudos to those in charge for getting the Scottish media to swallow that one. 

McDonald, Moult, Cadden, McHugh, Pearson, the pure sexualness of Richard Tait.  We'll have a good second half of the season, I have no doubt. 

Dunno if it's down to the years of makeshift right backs (Hateley/Law/Kerr/Ramsden etc.) but I love Richard Tait. The guy's absolutely fucking class, and an absolute unit of a guy as well.