Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, gavin_3110 said:

Ian McCall has done reasonably well with Ayr. Suspect he wouldn't be very warmly received by 'Well supporters however, not  exactly a fashionable appointment.

Mitchell Van Der Gaag seems to have a decent pedigree.

Although Motherwell have unearthed two gems over the last three or four years the amount of shit signed from the English lower leagues is unreal. Lee Lucas is one of the worst players I've ever seen at Fir Park, and you could name another 10 like him.

Motherwell and fashionable in the same post. Must be a first.

11 minutes ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

Coyle has the potential to develop into a McGhee strength twat

Aye, I couldn't handle him going on about staying in the Ladbrokes Premiership four or five times in every interview with the media.  

Have the Motherwell board not went out of their way to bring in a manager with knowledge of the lower leagues in England for the last decade? The general MO seems to be to have a team full of young guys released from good teams in England, young guys plucked from non-league in England, a few local youngsters and whatever ex Motherwell player has failed in England and is looking for a return to Scotland to add some experience.

So who has both a link to Motherwell and a failed coaching career in England?

Owen Coyle it is then

One thing I will say about this - by Motherwell standards, it's quite ruthless to punt the manager in the way that we have. We are normally like a Mark McGhee substitution - ie-  too late to make a difference - but by being decisive and punting him now, they at least give the new guy a chance to make some changes and (hopefully) stabilise things. I'd also (as a member) be interested in the extent of the consultation with the 'Well Society that apparently took place...

PS - a Stuart McCall/Terry Butcher Ex-Gers dream-team to get us to the end of the season? :whistle

13 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Have the Motherwell board not went out of their way to bring in a manager with knowledge of the lower leagues in England for the last decade? The general MO seems to be to have a team full of young guys released from good teams in England, young guys plucked from non-league in England, a few local youngsters and whatever ex Motherwell player has failed in England and is looking for a return to Scotland to add some experience.

Our recruitment policy for both managers and players tends to be English lower leagues, ala Gannon, Baraclough and McCall, or reverting to previous employees ala McGhee, McFadden and several players.

In this case, I would really like to see us getting an experienced head in to steady the ship, similar to Craig Brown on the back of Gannon. Ideally we get someone in with a sound background of the Scottish game, like Calderwood. 

We should not even be considering a Valakari, Nijholt, Faddy appointment just now as we need experience.

Just now, Swello said:

Nah - he slagged off McCall even more than McGhee - and that was when we were at the other end of the table :)

I suppose he failed in the playoffs at his wee team too :lol:

3 minutes ago, MJC said:

No I don't. McCall and Butcher have had their time and by the time they left they had more than ran their course and outstayed their times.

Yet you were touting Jimmy Calderwood for the Motherwell job? 

You used to be able to have a decent debate with you back in the day about all things Motherwell.  I didn't always agree with you, but you always put your point across fairly well, I thought.  

However, you're now trying too hard to live up to this 'MJC, Rangers fan, lol!' persona others tag you with.  It's really quite sad.