Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Depressed to see Blyth still has another year left. Contributed the square root of f**k all so far.

As for Big Ben - based on the last month yes take the money. But his form was decent in the 1st half, especially when he had McManus beside him. Don't forget he should also have 2 more goals to his name.

There is a decent player there, but he is / was playing with a bomb scare of a goalie behind him and littler protection from flanks. 

Edited by welldaft

Depressed to see Blyth still has another year left. Contributed the square root of f**k all so far.
As for Big Ben - based on the last month yes take the money. But his form was decent in the 1st half, especially when he had McManus beside him. Don't forget he should also have 2 more goals to his name.
There is a decent player there, but he is / was playing with a bomb scare of a goalie behind him and littler protection from flanks. 

There's an option for a 3rd year on Blyth's contract which I'm sure will cheer you up.

As far as Heneghan goes he's a fairly limited defender. Yes he'll chuck himself into blocks and what not but in terms of the more rounded aspects of his game there's not a lot there IMO. His distribution is poor and hasn't got any better, he gets caught out against forwards with a bit of pace (and Kenny Miller) and for someone of his size he seems to be bullied quite easily by target men.

It's difficult to see where there's enough room for improvement in his game (and how likely that would be) to the point that we'd be holding out for increased offers. We got him for free via a cross-border loophole and his deal is up at the end of next season. This is really the only window we have to move him on & tbh as part of a defence that has conceded 65 league goals this season (1.85 GPG) is going to be a pretty tough sell.

If we're in the business of turning players over for profit (which we are) then if someone comes along with even a vague cash offer for Heneghan then I'd imagine we'll bite their hand off and take what we can get.

As far as Heneghan goes, I think he's obviously a very raw defender, but there is a decent player in there somewhere. He had pretty good start to his Motherwell career imo, but has had a prolonged spell of bad form since January or so. In an ideal world, we'd be in the position to give him a rest or take him out the firing line for a bit, as it is though, he's currently the only fit recognised centre half at the club.

Even though I think he could potentially go onto be a pretty good player at this level, we'd be mad not to take any decent offer that comes our way for a guy that we signed for free and has hardly had a convincing first season.

I see the BBC gossip page has the Record reporting that we're "slapping" a £500k price tag on Heneghan. Which is nice (and wildly optimistic).

We did similar with Johnson and quoted £1m and ended up accepting a combined deal worth around £650k + a sell on %. Taking that into account and the fact Johnson had 18 months left to run then with Heneghan out of contract at the end of next season you'd think we'd probably happily take £150k-£200k + a sell on % and call it a very decent result.

Motherwell were too quick to sack me says McGhee

Really helpful intervention at this stage of the season from a guy who had lost the plot after Ibrox (and quite likely the dressing room), who oversaw a couple of the most humiliating defeats in recent years and would have been sitting in the stand until the end of the season. Defended him most of the time - but this is wankish.

nintchdbpict000302148751.jpg?strip=all&w

3 hours ago, Swello said:

Motherwell were too quick to sack me says McGhee

Really helpful intervention at this stage of the season from a guy who had lost the plot after Ibrox (and quite likely the dressing room), who oversaw a couple of the most humiliating defeats in recent years and would have been sitting in the stand until the end of the season. Defended him most of the time - but this is wankish.

nintchdbpict000302148751.jpg?strip=all&w

Never sacked the c*nt soon enough, more like. 

McGhee was an absolute embarrassment to himself and the club during his last month at the club, even by his standards. 

From his ridiculous reaction to the Cup defeat at Ibrox up until the 1-5 Dundee game at the end if February he just seemed determined to ramp up his "Look at me, Look at me" persona tenfold.

Regardless of whether we are relegated or not we are well shot of that man.