Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Lionel wants to stay

Heart would say yes but head says its a wage tied up waiting for him having a good day.
50k up for grabs if we win on Sat and Kilmarnock get beat,that could be his incentive.

28 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

Lionel wants to stay

Saw that. I kind of wonder whether he genuinely wants to stay or if that interview is just the usual platitudes or if he's giving Motherwell an opportunity to match another offer. To be honest after the past couple of seasons he's had then a fresh start somewhere else might make sense and it wouldn't be surprising if he already had something lined up.

The bigger question is whether Robinson would actually play him or not? He's clearly been involved a lot more in the past few games and Robinson seems to have been able to get something out of him but investing what you'd think would be a higher end first team wage on an impact sub doesn't really seem like something that makes sense for us just now. Cadden's had the wide right position pretty much locked down since he broke through and given Ainsworth's prone to inconsistency it's been difficult to make too much of a case for him starting ahead of Cadden.

If we were to look at moving Cadden in and have him playing centrally alongside McHugh then it'd definitely open up options for Ainsworth as a starter with MacLean or Thomas as back up. It doesn't seem that outrageous tbh.

Edited by capt_oats

I like Lionel - but if we sign him, it can only be if we have a clear plan of how to use him as a regular (although not necessarily every week) starter. Not an impact sub.

Like some others, I think his off the ball play is miles better than when he first arrived, so I'm not as concerned on that front. We need the combination of a manager that is committed to getting the best out him (which is time well spent on the very rare player that can actually turn a game in our league) and Lionel to match that by giving more, more often.

Still think he's away though....

I like Lionel - but if we sign him, it can only be if we have a clear plan of how to use him as a regular (although not necessarily every week) starter. Not an impact sub.

100% agree with that. There's no point in him being here if he doesn't fit into the team. The point that consecutive managers have ended up benching him for periods probably shouldn't be overlooked either.

I'm still unsure what the script was with McGhee whether it was a case of him actively trying to offload him because he didn't fancy him or whether it was more that he was looking for Ainsworth to fit into the side in a way that didn't suit and the player suffering from that and McGhee was taking the huff that the square peg didn't fit in the round hole or simply that there wasn't the application there he wanted. Who knows maybe it was all of the above.

Everything Robinson has said thus far has seemed to focus on pace and getting crosses into the box. If that is how he's looking to play going forward then with Ainsworth (along with Frear and Tait) the one thing you can virtually guarantee is effective delivery.

I see the record is making a big deal about McDonald leaving - I wouldn't call something that every Motherwell fan on the planet has been expecting "sensational". Maybe Keith Jackson doesn't pay attention outside of Rangers and Celtic.