Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

4 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm going to make a ridiculous and totally unsubstantiated prediction that we'll end up re-signing Scott McDonald this summer.

It's a bit weird that he's not been linked with...anyone. Innit? It'd suggest to me that he's already got a team lined up. I know he normally pitches up mid-way through pre-season but if he was short of a club I'd have thought his name would be doing the rounds in the papers.

Obviously it's summer so the radio schedule's different but I don't think I've heard him doing any media work recently either. The last I heard was that Sportsound interview where he said he'd had issues with Robinson and he'd not be back as a player. 

In other news, the Daily Star are linking Hull with interest in Heneghan now. http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/627530/Chelsea-Transfer-News-Hull-Leonid-Slutskiy-Premier-League-Roman-Abramovich-Loan-Deals

12 hours ago, Swello said:

Everyone is assuming those two - but I can't imagine either would be on huge money (or at least I hope they aren't!). It might be a case of two out, one in I guess...

Jacob Blyth came from Leicester City, English prem team, He's apparently on a massively hefty wage considering the return we're getting.

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Jacob Blyth came from Leicester City, English prem team, He's apparently on a massively hefty wage considering the return we're getting.

If he was on £40 a week that would be hefty considering the return we're getting.

8 hours ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I'm going to make a ridiculous and totally unsubstantiated prediction that we'll end up re-signing Scott McDonald this summer.

I can't see it given that Robinson has made the point about "squad togetherness" and no-one "thinking they were better than Motherwell" - I don't think Skippy would score highly in either category :)

On the hefty wage thing, I'm paraphrasing a bit here but IIRC Robinson was saying the the problem with trying to move some of the players he wanted out the club was that they are on "good" contracts.

Given he's on a 2 year deal with +1 option I doubt Blyth will be on buttons. He may not be our highest paid player or anything but I'd imagine it'll be more than other prospective clubs will be willing to pay given he's only made 9 appearances for us.

And he's fucking shite.

Ach, Cambridge Utd just paid actual money for Ade Azeez. Blyth's shiteness wouldn't necessarily prohibit some no mark League 2 side taking him. The fact he seems an absolute sick note is more of a problem IMO.

52 minutes ago, well fan for life said:

See if Blyth had shown he looked like he had something about him, I'd be alright with him. The fact is he's absolutely pish, permo-crocked & his funeral based #newprofilepic made me want to fire him into a wheelie bin.

Aye. Blyth's looked uncomfortable being at Motherwell from day one. I can't imagine that will have been helped by the utter roasting he got in the press from his first news conference where he implied that Rangers would be a League 1 side in England (accurate as he may have been). He's always come across as a complete charlatan.

To pick up on Swello's point about Robinson's comment re: "players thinking they're better than Motherwell" then I'd have Blyth well and truly in that bin. Even overlooking the fact he offers nothing on the park, I don't think I've ever seen him and thought that he looks like a player who actually wants to be at the club. He was bossed by actual teenagers, who had presumably just finished 5th period French, in a u20s game against Thistle a few months ago. He's a guy clearly just going through the motions. It's an inevitability that he'll be fired into the sun at the end of his contract so, injured or not, he's just waiting out his deal.

Despite Robinson seemingly not being shy in letting players know they're surplus to requirements I'd be genuinely amazed if we manage to shift Blyth in this window. It'd be phenomenal work by the club.

Edited by capt_oats

If the option of a 3rd year is on Blyth's side - then that is simply mis-management from the decision makers at that time - no two ways about it. Even if it is the club's option - questions still need to be asked about the due diligence that was done on Blyth that led to a pretty lengthy deal - he wasn't a last-minute-of-the-window panic buy, so there are no excuses really. If there is one thing that will kill us as a fan owned club - it's thoughtlessly shite/lazy recruitment of the type we indulged in last summer - has to never happen again.

You don't need to be that old to remember John Henry joining us in the mid 90's with the chat that he must be great as "he was coming from Spurs and trained with Klinsmann and Sheringham every day" - well Blyth looks like a very similar situation. The received wisdom that simply as a player has been on the books at an EPL club that "they must have something about them" is basically a lot of shite - with the money washing around down south, these clubs can afford to take a punt on all sorts of young players in the hope that 1 out of 20 (50?) turns out to be half decent and suited to that level. I would 100% prefer to take players that have a track record at a smaller club & league rather than a total shot in the dark from the EPL. 

The thing with Blyth that I can't get my head round is even looking at his playing history (out side of Leicester) his record isn't that good, OK his time at other clubs were maybe month long emergency loans but his only run of games was at Burton Albion in League 2 where he scored 5 goals in 27 games. 2 years +1 option? Really?

Also, 169 minutes of football for us in a full season at the club...fucking hell.

595e103449a63_ScreenShot2017-07-06at11_24_56.png.d5126c0877c84ec4bbb753bdd1b817e0.png

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

The thing with Blyth that I can't get my head round is even looking at his playing history (out side of Leicester) his record isn't that good, OK his time at other clubs were maybe month long emergency loans but his only run of games was at Burton Albion in League 2 where he scored 5 goals in 27 games. 2 years +1 option? Really?

Also, 169 minutes of football for us in a full season at the club...fucking hell.

595e103449a63_ScreenShot2017-07-06at11_24_56.png.d5126c0877c84ec4bbb753bdd1b817e0.png

Genuinely think McGhee was on ketamine when he drew up that contract offer.

1 minute ago, thisGRAEME said:

Blyth out for 4-6 months, if anyone gives a f**k.

Was told of this last month, fucked his tendons in his foot or something. Means he won't be leaving. That's a pain.

8 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Was told of this last month, fucked his tendons in his foot or something. Means he won't be leaving. That's a pain.

If it's the same injury he picked up against Falkirk for the u20s (I'd imagine it is) then I'm not surprised. They had the club doctor out looking at him and everything. Eventually had to get crutches for him to get off the park. It looked a legit serious injury.

I suppose the upshot of this is we know where we stand now. Blyth's not leaving, he's not available so we pretty much need to write him off. We've currently got 3 strikers, Moult (himself coming back from an injury/operation), Bowman and Fisher. We definitely need 1 more. Would it be a major surprise if it was a loan rather than on outright signing?

Whichever way you slice it that must be Blyth's career (if you can call it that) at the club done. 6 months out he might be back training sometime in December his contract will be mutually terminated in the January window.

Edited by capt_oats