Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 minute ago, Sweet Pete said:

Aye in a couple of years when he's released on a free to sign for Clyde you can get 25% of the f**k all.

Yep - but he would have been taking a wage from us in the meantime as no-one would have effectively paid a transfer fee for him - so better for all concerned.

6 minutes ago, Swello said:

I doubt it will ever come to much - but for the club to get a "substantial sell on" clause out of it (I assume by waiving training comp?) sounds like a decent outcome for the player, Killie and us....

Aye. We get a wage freed and let's be honest if teams aren't willing to pay the training comp Falkirk are due for Sibbald then it's unlikely we'd have got what we'd have been due for Thomas so that value in itself would have been moot. By all accounts Killie struggled a bit to move Slater on before Colchester eventually paid up? He was linked with Aberdeen and (I think) Hearts but that dev fee seemed to put teams off.

This season would have been more of the same for him, I don't blame him for wanting a fresh start and it's helpful from Motherwell's point of view for him to be off the books now. Just find it weird that Killie have taken him on.

Edited by capt_oats

40 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'll say this for Thomas, the genuine rage and seethe he managed to generate from Motherwell fans on account of his Celtic-minded social media presence is pretty impressive.

I'd wager that would be nothing compared to the levels of rage and seethe had he a Rangers-minded social media presence. :rolleyes:

Anyway good luck to the boy, or should that be Bhoy? It didn't work out for him and he's moved on, best thing for all parties.

Edited by MJC

Aye. We get a wage freed and let's be honest if teams aren't willing to pay the training comp Falkirk are due for Sibbald then it's unlikely we'd have got what we'd have been due for Thomas so that value in itself would have been moot. By all accounts Killie struggled a bit to move Slater on before Colchester eventually paid up? He was linked with Aberdeen and (I think) Hearts but that dev fee seemed to put teams off.
This season would have been more of the same for him, I don't blame him for wanting a fresh start and it's helpful from Motherwell's point of view for him to be off the books now. Just find it weird that Killie have taken him on.

Maybe McCulloch sees something in him that you guys don't, none of us can really comment as we haven't seen him play regularly but a couple of QotS fans on our Twitter reacting to his signing seem to think he is decent.....

ac176e880fc971142be5c1f68cd44cfc.jpg

Louis Moult says he always viewed Motherwell as a path to bigger things, but insists he will only consider leaving when a bid for him is accepted.

Aberdeen failed last week with a second offer in the region of £400,000 for the 25-year-old striker.

"If clubs are interested it's a compliment," said Moult. "In terms of bids and people being interested I'm very, very grateful.

"But it's the club's decision. I've got another year on my contract."

Motherwell have tabled a contract extension that would make Moult the best paid player at the club.

The former Stoke City trainee moved to Fir Park from Wrexham in 2015 and has been top scorer in his two seasons with the Steelmen, netting 18 goals in each campaign.

Moult is recovering from groin surgery and insists he is no hurry to leave.

"It would be wrong for me to go and kick their door down if they value me a little bit more," he added.

"The manager at the time, Ian Barraclough, sold the club to me as a stepping stone. That's what the club is.

"I believe I can score goals wherever I go."

From the BBC - that'll be the "Moult's desperate to go" interview.

Refreshingly honest referring to us as a stepping stone even if it's not fun to read - but we (should) all know that is the vision the club sells these players. If the club tells someone when they sign a three year deal that if they do a couple of good seasons, they'll get their move and the club won't frustrate it as long a proper bid comes in. Moult has kept his side of the bargain - but he needs another club to meet Motherwell's valuation. 

In the same way as with Ainsworth, McDonald and Lasley - when Moult did his farewell walk round the pitch after the Killie game, I was reconciled to him going - but now as then, I hope it happens quickly enough for us to get a proper replacement in. Him leaving in late August would not be good for us.

38 minutes ago, Swello said:

From the BBC - that'll be the "Moult's desperate to go" interview.

Refreshingly honest referring to us as a stepping stone even if it's not fun to read - but we (should) all know that is the vision the club sells these players. If the club tells someone when they sign a three year deal that if they do a couple of good seasons, they'll get their move and the club won't frustrate it as long a proper bid comes in. Moult has kept his side of the bargain - but he needs another club to meet Motherwell's valuation. 

In the same way as with Ainsworth, McDonald and Lasley - when Moult did his farewell walk round the pitch after the Killie game, I was reconciled to him going - but now as then, I hope it happens quickly enough for us to get a proper replacement in. Him leaving in late August would not be good for us.

Aye. I'm surprised that folk would be surprised by this tbh (I shouldn't be, I know).

The club are open about the pitch they sell players when they sign and Moult's pretty much explained that in his interview there. Where it gets interesting for me is that we've seen bids from Port Vale and some Polish mob in January with Aberdeen the only team to put in an official bid so far, I wonder if his "desperate to go" interview will prompt any more interest since so far there seems to be a fair bit of doubt about him from teams in England. I'd like to think that Burrows is on the phone to every club that's even shown the slightest interest in him outside of Scotland though.

Either way Motherwell's business plan is to bring players in and sell them on at a profit while the players are viewing the club as a "stepping stone" towards earing more money. Moult signing an extension either before the window opened or up to this point would make both those outcomes more difficult to achieve. He seems fairly accepting of the club holding out for value though, which is helpful.

Edited by capt_oats

The Moult situation is something that underlines that I know f**k-all about football. In my mind, I would have thought that a bunch of clubs in League 1 and the lower Championship in England and (yes) the bigger clubs in Scotland would look at someone who has scored the best part of 40 goals in 2 seasons in a struggling team and thought "that'll do us". The fact that concrete interest seems to have been limited to a flyer from Aberdeen doesn't make sense to me.

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

The Moult situation is something that underlines that I know f**k-all about football. In my mind, I would have thought that a bunch of clubs in League 1 and the lower Championship in England and (yes) the bigger clubs in Scotland would look at someone who has scored the best part of 40 goals in 2 seasons in a struggling team and thought "that'll do us". The fact that concrete interest seems to have been limited to a flyer from Aberdeen doesn't make sense to me.

Randolph did that for me. Bloke was absolutely brilliant, ended up playing at a level maybe just too high for him in the ended, but ended up at fucking Birmingham on the way to it?

Bizarre.

I was going to mention Randolph in my post - but I always rationalised that by the fact that with a 'keeper at the age he was at, clubs could afford to wait for him to get more experience - but I agree with you, it was bizarre.

41 minutes ago, Swello said:

I'll be annoyed if he does move somewhere and we don't even make an attempt to buy him.  

4 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I'll be annoyed if he does move somewhere and we don't even make an attempt to buy him.  

I personally wouldn't like to see it - but I'm amazed that Rangers haven't bid for him TBH.

In a way I kind of get the Moult thing tbh. I'm not sour grapes-ing here, he's been a smashing player for us and the number of goals he's scored is undeniable, but I can understand the scepticism to a point from clubs down south, particularly if we're placing a high value on him.

He's not particularly quick, he's not got the sort of pace where he'll leave defenders in his wake, he's not particularly physical, his hold up play has improved but certainly when he arrived he wasn't really someone who'd hold the ball up and play others in he was knocked off the ball a fair bit but he's a great poacher and a huge % of his goals in his first season came from inside the 6 yard box, not even a penalty box striker, a 6 yard box player. For me it was only really towards the end of last season that he started really looking like a more complete centre forward who was scoring different types of goals.

It's kind of stereotyping but when you look at the sort of qualities the English seem to place on their centre forwards, while I'm surprised no one's taken a chance on him, I can see why clubs down there might need convincing or are being put off by our price tag.

Edited by capt_oats

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Realistically, what would you think Motherwell would be looking for for him?  He's got a year left on his deal? £500 - 750 k?

I reckon anything north of £500k with a decent add-on and he'd be off like a shot...but what do I know.