Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought pre-contract stuff had to be done in January, so he can’t have signed one yet?
Scottish ones seems to be able to be negotiated in December, it just has to be the final six months of his deal

14 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but I thought pre-contract stuff had to be done in January, so he can’t have signed one yet?

Able to start talking in December regards pre contracts, looks like Moult has accepted Prestons terms, also seems as though Preston want him available asap so will make an offer during the window so that he can join in January.

9 hours ago, capt_oats said:

It's also another win for "the model" in terms of us being seen as a decent platform.

Was actually my first thought to be honest.

That’s now Johnson, Heneghan and apparently soon to be Moult we’ve plucked from the Conference for buttons in the last few years and all 3 have ended up in the English Championship within a year or 2- albeit Marv was via Oxford.

Apart from the clear financial rewards for the club, it must be a great selling point for Robinson/Burrows when it comes to recruiting players in the future- like say a replacement for Moult in January.

19 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Was actually my first thought to be honest.

That’s now Johnson, Heneghan and apparently soon to be Moult we’ve plucked from the Conference for buttons in the last few years and all 3 have ended up in the English Championship within a year or 2- albeit Marv was via Oxford.

Apart from the clear financial rewards for the club, it must be a great selling point for Robinson/Burrows when it comes to recruiting players in the future- like say a replacement for Moult in January.

But will we get a replacement for Moult in Jan if he's still here? (I'm sceptical about Preston offering 500k or whatever if they already have him on a pre-contract)

Just going back a few points, I'm convinced there's a cracking player somewhere inside Alex Fisher. Convinced ah tell thee....

The good "non-scoring" things he's been doing (Hearts game aside where no-one was any good at anything on either side), plus his instinctive finishing from all over the place at ICT, has all the hallmarks of a player who just needs a couple to go in by any means, and get that feeling.

3 hours ago, Swello said:

If the Moult stuff is true, then surely pre-contract is the worst of both worlds for us? Unless I'm being thick, it means that there is no sell-on in future or transfer fee now and (as much as I admire Moult's effort and honesty), you tend to get a ghost of a player for the last few months of their time.  If the five-figure weekly wage stuff is close to being accurate, then you simply couldn't blame the guy for not putting life-changing amounts of money in jeopardy...

If he sticks around until the summer then yeah no fee and no clause as he's moving under freedom of contract. Also, the pre-contract will be binding so there's no bidding war to speak of. He'll be Preston bound.

It's really up to the two clubs to come up with a deal for him to leave in January.

I'd have thought a nominal amount with the opportunity to include a sell on % would be the best deal we'd be getting. I suppose the fact that Aberdeen were only willing to offer c.£300k in the summer means that even if he does move for, say, £200k-£250k + sell on then we'll be up to the tune of 14 goals and a LC final appearance on top of roughly what we were offered for the player in the summer.

I'd imagine we'd get some clarification today if there's a pre-match presser happening.

Edit: Here's Robinson's pre-match press conference talking about Moult at the start. It's a weird one. I didn't expect him to confirm the pre-contract tbh however I get the impression there are semantics at play.

Where he says there's no "done deal" it may be factually correct in so much as nothing's signed but equally Moult may not actually be able to sign anything until January. He may well have made a verbal agreement or indicated his intent to sign a pre-contract with Preston.

Edited by capt_oats

47 minutes ago, Swello said:

Watching that presser - I was wondering if Preston were one of the "good" clubs who contacted us first or one of the implied "bad" clubs....

Given we dealt with them fairly recently when we signed Grimshaw (in a deal that was originally a loan then shifted to a permanent deal) I'd imagine our relationship with them is pretty good.

Also, Moult's new agent at World In Motion is, from what I can tell, from the Motherwell area and seems to have a pretty good relationship with Burrows and the club. Obviously his primary interest will be his client but I'd imagine we'd be looking at a deal that suits everyone if possible.

Edited by capt_oats

33 minutes ago, WellView said:

We're in the habit of issuing contracts that end May 31.  That means that players can talk to other clubs in December without our permission under the six-month rule.  

The regular season ends in May that's why Players are contracted till the 31st, unless a player is willing to sign a longer deal then that is how it is, I would imagine very few players would sign until December say, then find themselves released and scrambling around for a club to pay their wages.

1 hour ago, happyaccie said:

The regular season ends in May that's why Players are contracted till the 31st, unless a player is willing to sign a longer deal then that is how it is, I would imagine very few players would sign until December say, then find themselves released and scrambling around for a club to pay their wages.

I'm aware of that. 

The purpose of my post was to point out that Moult has been free to talk to other clubs without our consent since December 1, assuming he is on our ( what appears to be standard for us ) contract expiration date of May 31st. 

Just now, WellView said:

I'm aware of that. 

The purpose of my post was to point out that Moult has been free to talk to other clubs without our consent since December 1, assuming he is on our ( what appears to be standard for us ) contract expiration date of May 31st. 

Sorry bud I misinterpreted your post, thought you were having a veiled dig at your clubs policy of having players contracts expire in May.

I would love provincial clubs like Accies & Motherwell etc etc to be able to retain the services of guys like Moult.

Unfortunately in the world of football currently, clubs in almost every single country are able to entice players plying their trade in Scotland with a personal wealth that most Scottish clubs could only dream of paying .

Decent fee for the 'Well, especially considering you'll have earned a tidy fee from the cup run, so the decision to keep him in the summer has been completely justified. Shame to lose a player with his ***-slaying abilities from the top league but hey ho.