Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Will be sad to see him go but he was never going to stay with us beyond the end of the season so I'm delighted with this outcome. Getting near half a million for a guy who has already netted more than that this season with his cup heroics is good but the best bit will be that we have our ticket for the inflated English transfer market lottery.
If reports are correct he's signed a 3.5 year deal so in all likelihood he will be sold on rather than moving at end of contract and if he has a solid season and a half in the championship then who knows what he could be valued at then!

When we look at "good bits of business" that we've done - Moult will be one of the best. 50k to get him in, 450k on the way out (I assume no sell-on which is a shame) after 50-odd goals in 2.5 seasons (less a couple of big injury layoffs), a lucrative cup run and being pivotal in us even being in the top league in the first place.

More than that, he had one of the best attitudes that I've seen from someone who probably didn't even know the colours we play in before he signed for us. He's engaged with community stuff and supporters (even the VL's on twitter that stalk him and ask him out for a pint, etc), turned up at boys club matches without being asked and most importantly, his effort levels on the pitch have been *fucking outstanding*.

The other side of it is that it has been a superb move for him - he simply wouldn't have built the type of profile he has in the lower leagues in England, even if the wages would have been a bit better. To go from non-league to Top-end English Championship in one move is impressive and will be the best advert we can use in January and beyond to attract his replacement.

This move has been trailed for so long that I'm far from gutted about it - good luck to the guy*

Spoiler

*and he never did take me for that pint the b*****d :bairn

2 hours ago, Swello said:

When we look at "good bits of business" that we've done - Moult will be one of the best. 50k to get him in, 450k on the way out (I assume no sell-on which is a shame) after 50-odd goals in 2.5 seasons (less a couple of big injury layoffs), a lucrative cup run and being pivotal in us even being in the top league in the first place.

More than that, he had one of the best attitudes that I've seen from someone who probably didn't even know the colours we play in before he signed for us. He's engaged with community stuff and supporters (even the VL's on twitter that stalk him and ask him out for a pint, etc), turned up at boys club matches without being asked and most importantly, his effort levels on the pitch have been *fucking outstanding*.

The other side of it is that it has been a superb move for him - he simply wouldn't have built the type of profile he has in the lower leagues in England, even if the wages would have been a bit better. To go from non-league to Top-end English Championship in one move is impressive and will be the best advert we can use in January and beyond to attract his replacement.

This move has been trailed for so long that I'm far from gutted about it - good luck to the guy*

Reveal hidden contents

*and he never did take me for that pint the b*****d :bairn

Seems like there is a sell on. The official site's back online and Jim McMahon's quotes such and also indicates we've been working on a replacement:

"We have secured what we believe to be a very competitive price given the limited time left on his contract, with the ability to earn more in the future, which has worked well for us in previous transfers.

“Our manager Stephen Robinson, along with his recruitment team, have been working on a replacement for some time now and when the window opens, we will look to strengthen our squad in a number of different areas.”

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2017/12/14/louis-moult-sale-to-preston-agreed/

Given our very decent record with strikers over the years - I'm already looking forward to seeing who comes in. The huge hole left in the team when Marvin left was probably a big learning experience for the club and you'd imagine that given we knew Moult was going for some time, we have some alternatives well scouted by now (or favourited in some mad database or whatever) - and will be looking to move quickly when the windae opens...

6 minutes ago, mjw said:

I found out about his move on the clubs Facebook page.
I only went and read the comments,didn't I?

f**k me we've a high percentage of roasters for a wee support.

Well that was daft, wasn't it?

I won't look, but I assume they're all raging we didn't sell him for £3m?  Or that we didn't force him, against his will, to sign a 12-year contract extension?

4 minutes ago, mjw said:

I found out about his move on the clubs Facebook page.
I only went and read the comments,didn't I?

f**k me we've a high percentage of roasters for a wee support.

I think to be fair - Facebook seems to exaggerate it a bit - it's for folk that are too mental to be allowed their own account on Steelmen online. 

Well that was daft, wasn't it?

I won't look, but I assume they're all raging we didn't sell him for £3m?  Or that we didn't force him, against his will, to sign a 12-year contract extension?

Pretty much.

Some of them want to know the 'undisclosed' fee because they own the club don't you know.

Same old Motherwell apparently.

PNE have paid £450K and are allegedly paying Moult £10K a week (anyone know if that is based on fact or plucked out of mid-bullshit)

According to Companies House PNE's cumulative operating losses over the last 3 years is around £9M

English football is going to eat itself

ETA their turnover last year was about £4M less than Aberdeen's btw

Edited by EdTheDuck

5 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Considering Preston got £1.8m for Joey Garner I'm absolutely buzzing to see how much they sell Moult on for. 

There's chat that they knocked back bids of £8m for Jordan Hugill in the last window. 

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/port-vale-hope-jordan-hugill-387638

Edited by capt_oats

Can only echo what the others are saying about Moult’s attitude and goals. The only game I’m making in the foreseeable is Dundee at home so it would be nice if he got a cameo of the bench.

Best of luck to him. With 14 goals he will probably be our top scorer come the end of the season unfortunately.