Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think it was capt_oats that mentioned his availability recently,and I really think somebody equivalent to 2012 Nicky Law would be a fantastic signing. If we could use some of the increased windfall this year to bring in a quality creative midfielder who also has the legs to get up and down the park and press the opposition- i.e, not Gael Bigirimana- then it would massively improve our midfield. 

Those players aren't exactly ten a penny though.

It was me aye. I only really mentioned it because someone else (possibly your good self) had said we've never really replaced him and I'd looked to see what his situation was.

If transfermarkt is accurate then he's out of contract is up in the summer and as far as I can see there's no mention of him extending. I'd assume McCall getting emptied may have an impact on that. Also his agents are World In Motion who we deal with regularly (Moult moved to them while he was here and they represent a few of our u20s).

Similarly on the former central midfielders tip Giles Coke's out of contract and he's currently on a short term deal with recently relegated Chesterfield (though he's out injured at the moment).

Agree with the general point though if we could reinvest some of the windfall (without going mental) into two or three quality (for our level) options then it could make some difference.

5 minutes ago, Al B said:

I think Giles Coke is one of the most under-rated players we have had. Probably over-shadowed by some of the other guys we had around that time.

Aye. His move to Ipswich from Wednesday seems to have been a total bust but looking at his history he's played a lot more than I thought since he left.  I'll admit I had thought he was another who had just disappeared into the ether. 99 appearances for Wednesday is far more than I thought he managed.

Went 6 months without a club after his release from Ipswich last summer though and ruled out for the season after his debut with Chesterfield in February.

5ae0e24c512c5_ScreenShot2018-04-25at21_16_27.png.0c2080f17c021e775f59a11b6e6e15f6.png 5ae0e268a928c_ScreenShot2018-04-25at21_12_46.png.3918290252f9e06f6c886ffc9119f7af.png

Never really took to Giles Coke to be honest, aye he was a cracking player on his day but those days didn’t come around often enough for me. My main memory of him is one of frustration at his often lackadaisical approach. 

Absolutely loved Nicky Law though, such a classy and composed player. 

2 hours ago, Swello said:

Agree with that completely. I awelcomed most "returners" in the past - but with a very few excpetions, I would prefer that we don't resign old players...

If last summer is anything to go by I'd say that Robinson's probably of a similar mind tbh.

For avoidance of doubt I'm not banging a drum to re-sign old players but as a frame of reference it's interesting to me as they're a type of player we're missing/lacking/would make a difference. I'd also suggest that an Ojamaa-type (also out of contract in summer and on 5 goals in 15 in the Croatian 2nd tier) would be a good addition to our mix of forwards, right now we've no one who'll stretch defences.

It's a lot easier to suggest a former player as a reference point in relation to the current team I guess.

At the point we had guys like Coke and Law in the midfield our playing budget was higher and our model was very different. As Yassin says those sort of players aren't exactly ten a penny. I suppose that's why I was making the point about budgets last week and whether there's a likelihood of us upscaling a our targets.

We're clearly not going to be chucking money at it but a bit more quality through the squad would go a long way.

Stolen from the "stadiums" thread - lots of interesting stuff in this that I had forgotten (Stevie Woods was in a Scotland squad under Craig Brown??), good to see (that 'Well line-up, us 2nd in the league) or weird (A game on a weekday during working hours, Motherwell about to pay 400k for a player)...

motherwell220395.jpg

motherwell220395pic.jpg

Edited by Swello

23 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I heard Robinson saying that in Main he had found his successor to Louis Moult and I just thought that was completely wrong.  I like Main, but for me he should be the successor to Bowman - who's been given a new contract off 7 league goals in two seasons.

For me that tells you a lot about Robinson's philosophy of football - the style he likes and how it's not going to change much.

Also given the club model the likelihood is we will sell players some of our better players during the summer.  Wouldn't be surprised if Carson went for a start.

I sincerely hope we win the cup but even if we win it I can't see how anyone wouldn't be concerned about the last 7 or 8 months of league football.  The precedent is there with St. Mirren and Inverness. 

And a full season of this terms Moult-less Motherwell will see us in a bad place unless we improve dramatically.  I mean we've scored 14 goals in 19 matches (including an OG and a penalty) and won 3 league matches since Moult last played at the beginning of December. 

I think its fairly likely we will sign another striker who will come in and provide competition for Main and Bowman, but most likely to play alongside Main and Bowman off the bench I wouldn't be surprised to see that.   In terms of players going, I don't think we will sell many in this window, Kipre has had a lot of clubs watching and I believe we will cash in on him this summer and make a rather substantial profit which for me would let us sign Aldred permanently.   A good couple of wide players needed one for the left and right to create chances.   I fully believe we can be a top 6 club next season.    I know your not a huge fan of Robinson's style of football but the last full season under McCall where we finished 2nd we were abysmal for most games but took our chance when it mattered to win games.    As long as we get results then it doesn't bother me how good or bad the style of play, it's a results driven business for managers.

16 hours ago, Swello said:

I'm just trying to remember how that was possible. I'm so mentally scarred from this:

that I can't remember Woods ever being anything other than shite.

He had a decent record at saving penalties. 

The bond between the players and the fans, and the club as a whole to be fair, this season has been an absolute joy to behold. 

You had today players engaging with the support buying tickets, you had Chris Cadden in the New Century Bar meeting fans after the Semi Final, plus the entire team joining in with the Bois celebrations after that game these little things that make so much difference as it shows that the players 'get it'. They get just how much the Cup means to the fans and they get how much the Club as a whole means to the fans.

This is up there with Stranraer in 2003 and the whole town being taken over by Well fans after the Scottish Cup QF on the way back up the road and the team bus passing through to a 'guard of honour'. It's moments like these that make fond memories as it shows there is a genuine connection between support and players/club and that is very rare in football.

If we go on to hold silverware next month then this current squad will rightly go down in Motherwell folklore and will be lauded for years to come.

lot of chat around The Twitter that we're signing Grimsby goalkeeper James McKeown.

It may well just be off the back of him following the official account through the week but there's definitely a lot of chatter from Grimsby fans.

Edited by capt_oats