Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

On 4/13/2018 at 22:33, WellView said:

Why should I be arsed?  My mother nearly died last month, that's more important to me than arguing with strangers on the internet. 

The club should contact , the club is the supplier, I am the customer - why should I beg to spend money? 

Anyway, anytime you want to meet me in person to discuss your retarded behaviour, I'm your man. Like every other Well fan offered a meeting,  you'll piss your parents. 

Just read this....laughing out loud, not at your maw nearly dying, but at how much of a rocket you are coming across as.

4 hours ago, Desp said:

I'd agree with that in the main, Swello.  Play the strongest team available for the games coming up, and where needed, make changes after an hour or so to give a few a rest.

Exactly this. f**k tossing bodies around just to get them some minutes while resting everyone else. Get bodies out there, win everything and go into the final having won five games. 

5 hours ago, AndyRoss said:

‪NEW PODCAST - Sparra & Jay were joined by Andrew Paterson for a look back on Saturday’s fantastic victory over Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup semi-final.

http://www.mfc1886.com/mfc-podcast-2017-18-episode-32/‬

Excellent listen as usual and captured the thoughts of many a 'Well fan.

If it were possible, would anyone want to keep Ciftci next season? 

I was all for signing him to be honest and thought he started brightly enough, even though he was clearly unfit he was contributing- wee flick for the pen against Accies, great ball to set up Main against Ross County, good performance away at Dens in the cup and the late equaliser against Thistle.

I thought after he’d broken his duck and got a few matches under his belt he’d kick on but if anything, I’d say he’s actually gotten worse and some of his most recent performances have let a lot to be desired. I genuinely thought he was appalling on Saturday, I know he’s been injured but he looked so sluggish and unfit it was untrue. He was only on the pitch 10 mins and gave the ball away at least 3 times and looked like he was blowing out his arse. 

Is it it worthwhile persisting with him post split given he can’t play the cup final and might well not be here next season? Could a Robinson pre-season help restore him to former glories? Or is simply, thanks but on your way Nadir.

Edited by Casagolda

I'd like to give him the chance to settle for a bit and see what he can do. I'd offer him a year on what we can afford to offer, and hope a deal can be done. If not, then fair enough and thanks for the #content.

I think as a guy he's absolutely brilliant though. The last guy to turn around my opinion of him to this extent was Bob Malcolm (although Nadir's switch began with celebrating his goal against The Rangers before it had even went in).

Edited by Al B

It might be interesting to see how he looks after a full pre-season as he's never looked anywhere near full fitness since he's been here. I suspect he's probably too big a gamble though and I'd be surprised if he's here next season.

I'd still like to see what we can do with him after a pre-season beasting, as long as we are not breaking the bank to do so. We need to give players a decent run to really prove themselves and he has not really had that - and his physical fitness is way below the rest of the squad.

We have 5 games against the teams below us and we need some creativity (and we have a lack of attacking options generally) - so I would play him as much as possible in support of Main and Bowman between now and the end of the season and see where we are.

If you'd have asked me at the end of February, I'd have been all for keeping Nadir. 

However, now I think we should get to the summer, get Louis Moult back on loan and enjoy season 2018/19 with the greatest front two at Fir Park since Arnott & Coyne.

re: Ciftci it depends on quite a few variables for me.

The common trope with him is "if he can get back to his United form" and it's fair to say he hasn't done that at any club he's been to. If he'd even been approaching that in his short spell at Fir Park then it'd be an absolute no-brainer however on the flip side had he reached that sort of level I don't think we'd be looking at being able to keep hold of him as Celtic would be looking to punt him to try and recoup some cash.

Really it depends on who else we're looking at, who else is realistic, whether Robinson still feels he's worth a punt and Ciftci himself. The questions I'd be asking is how does Ciftci at the moment compare with other realistic options and also how does the potential he'd have after a full pre-season compare whith other options. It's harsh on my part but I still stand by my assertion that even a bang average Ciftci is still a better footballer than many of the forwards we've had recently.

In short, is this version of Ciftci still better than alternatives we could get within our budget? Bearing in mind the alternatives to date have been guys like Fisher, Blyth, Fletcher, Robinson et al. We were being linked with names like Shaq Coulqhirst last season. If that's the sort of pool we're still looking at then sign the bold Nadir up please.

On the whole Ciftci seems to enjoy being at the club, he seems to get on with Robinson and going by his comments previously in the press he's not that fussed about money. If he was able to come to an agreement with Celtic and we were able to get him on board for reasonable terms then while he's obviously still a risk, he's a risk who's been here 6 months and all the coaching staff will have a decent idea of what we're getting.

I think most of us on here would concede that even with Main and Bowman at the club along with Newell apparently here til the end of next season and guys like Hastie, Agyeman, Scott and (to an extent) Semple around the u20s we're still going to need another 2 strikers in. In that respect I'd be asking how Ciftci would complement our forward options and how that would impact financing getting another body in.

tl;dr version: I'd absolutely be up for keeping him but I wouldn't be chucking our budget at him.

Edited by capt_oats

I'd absolutely keep him.

His wee face at the end of the semi-final as they were all dancing about was a sight to behold, and aye, he gave the ball away after he ripped the c**t out of Considine at 3-0 up, I'm not going to worry about what he did on Saturday.

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

There's yer Alan Burrows promoted to Chief Executive. Good lad.

http://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2018/04/17/alan-burrows-promoted-to-chief-executive/

Well done to him.

The guy is a Motherwell FC diehard who would be in the East Stand on a Saturday if he wasn't in the directors box and he clearly gives his all to a job he loves. I think he seems to have really grown into his role over the past year or so and is an excellent 'face' for the club. It's no coincidence that our previously dreadful PR has improved significantly with Alan Burrows at the helm. The whole club have improved on and off the park in the last year and a great deal of that is down to this man, so well done to him and good luck in his 'new' role at the club.

Someone who has developed, had to learn on the job many times and has said himself made mistakes along the way. Really believe he’s the best man to be taking the club forward - would be a challenge to find anyone more committed to their job in any line of work.

1 minute ago, AndyRoss said:

Someone who has developed, had to learn on the job many times and has said himself made mistakes along the way. Really believe he’s the best man to be taking the club forward - would be a challenge to find anyone more committed to their job in any line of work.

I've never spoken to him personally, but what always strikes me from his media talk, communication with the support via social media and before that 'age' through 'welltrustfc/steelmenonline' he is that he is an extremely honest, hard working and humble guy. He's not always got things right, but he's always been the first to admit that when that's been the case and it takes a big man to do that, as well as a big man to take on such a big role.

As I said, our public relations, for as long as I can remember and that goes way beyond the days of twitter, fans forums etc, was something that was desperately lacking and was rightly chastised. Even under Leann Dempster, the only soundbites you ever got from the club were along the lines of "we're skint, we need to cut back here, there and everywhere regardless of what happens". Since Alan Burrows has held his role things have moved on significantly. Think back to the 2015 playoff with Rangers and how he handled that. Several predecessors would have rolled over and bleated how we couldnt possibly afford to cut Rangers ticket allocation...think of the Celtic trilogy from earlier this season where he had Brendan Rodgers and Celtic foaming at the mouth for daring to highlight injustices. His laptop still infuriates Brendan, I have no doubt of that. And look at how he basically laughed off talk of Carson being sold to Cardiff for £100k, just months after rejecting more than that from Celtic. Time was we were begging clubs to sign our top players for a pittance, now we have a now CEO stating that we won't be taken for mugs with regards to transfers.

He has had his critics, he has had his doubters and I should know because I was one of them, but Alan Burrows has done a superb job and having someone like him at the helm who "bleeds Claret and Amber" whilst being pretty good at what he does can only be a great thing for Motherwell FC.

I think he probably ended up in the top job a little too soon and mistakes have been made as I'm sure he would be the first to admit - but I have always been genuinely impressed with the way he conducts himself and the ridiculous levels of effort he puts in. I think it's fair to say he has grown into the role brilliantly and a blind man could see that the club is now run in the most professional way it ever has been.  He puts up with a lot of shite when things go badly in any minor way, or just because he's the most accessible chief exec in the league - but even the perma-ragers in our support know that things are going well off the park. 

I also think it's fitting that in a fan owned model, we've got a genuine supporter at the head of the club.